Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Missing 2nd Glasgow Highlander, Mondrainville
Raymond Bell
post 14th Aug 2014, 07:27pm
Post #16

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,677
Just to continue on this thread - A lad (Jim McNab) from Australia picked up Nigel's post and has passed on some information on Lt Loudon.

Jim's dad was a crewman in Lt Loudon's Bren Bun Carrier and was with him at the time of his death and I have passed on some information to Nigel and hopefully both are in contact with each other.

I want to thank everyone who contributed to Nigel's post and I wish him luck in his search.

Raymond Bell
Dinger
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 14th Aug 2014, 11:35pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,553
Wow, an absolutely incredible story Raymond! To obtain word about what actually happened to the sought-after 9th Btn. HLI officer from distant Australia highlights just how small our world has become... and all through the son of a man who was actually serving as a part of Lt Loudon's Bren gun carrier's crew when the Lieutenant was killed! Wow indeed!

Thank you for letting us know the outcome of your search. I found the search very interesting as well as informative. I think too, the Glasgow Guide Discussion Board deserves a sincere "attaboy" for its usefulness in helping bring about a happy conclusion to Nigel's search... attaboy GG!

Cheers, Dugald.

PS. You will notice I used "9th" Btn. HLI rather than 2nd Btn... not sure which is correct

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 16th Aug 2014, 03:15pm
Post #18

Super Resident
Hi Dugald

Yes as you said the power of the internet and sites like this amazing!

The 2 Glasgow Highlanders during WW2 were normally designated 1 GH and 2 GH

And the amazing fact was that Jim was just browsing the net when he found this site what are the chances of that?

Although I had the same thing happen when I did a story of the forming of the Glasgow Highlanders in 1886 and I was sent a photo of a soldier wearing uniform from about 1890 that I got from a lady in Tasmania - the photo was a relation to the lady, after I posted the story I received an email from a lady in New York asking how I managed to get a photo of her relative and she had a similar photo displayed in her house. I informed her how I obtained the photo and now two families have been united - Great that when I feel that I have helped in some small way.

The Group Photo I posted that showed all the officers of GH sadly Lt Loudon missed the photo for whatever reason as it would have been great to put a face to the name, this photo was sent to me by one of our GH members who's relative was Captain IPS Wood shown in the photo

So long live this site and the internet making a smaller world

Raymond Bell
Dinger

+Quote Post
nige51
post 16th Nov 2014, 10:42am
Post #19

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,181
It has been a while since I last posted on here, apologies. We are still on the track of Lt. Loudon but as yet no further forward. Have been trying to confirm details and theories and even have a friend of mine in France who studies Operation Epsom and the Scots Corridor looking!

As I actually own a "Bren Gun Carrier", mine is a Universal Carrier, I was totally amazed when I actually discovered Lt. Loudon was a carrier commander. My father was also a Lt. and a carrier officer in the Indian Army. So in my search through wartime photographs of carriers I think I have found one that shows Lt. Loudon, but still have to confirm it which is why I am posting it on here. Photo was taken during Operation Epsom.
Lt. Loudon, if it is him and it certainly looks like him, is in the lead carrier commanders position sitting up. My questions are, the badges on his sleeve do they fit the form worn by GH? As far as the carrier is concerned, it is marked up correctly for the senior regiment (61) of the 15th Scottish Division which is the GH during Epsom, assuming the 61 is on a red square. On the front mudguard there is what looks like a 5 or an S with a line through it. I know carrier had a Bridge Plate which was usually a number 4 or 5 in black on a yellow disc but with no line through it, which this may be, or is it S to denote Support Coy? Did they mark the Support Coy this way?
Lastly, the column looks like a support company. Behind the lead carrier are several Loyd Carriers towing 6 pdr AT guns with the first one called Loch Lomond. Can anyone confirm this column as the Support Company of the Glasgow Highlanders?
Many thanks
Nigel
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 25th Dec 2014, 11:52pm
Post #20

Super Resident
[attachment=48167:uglasi.jpg]Hi Nigel

I have emailed you some information that the lads on WW2Talk submitted hopefully might help

Keep in touch

Merry Christmas and happy new year to Nigel and his family and all the forum members

Dinger

I believe this is the units sleeve markings?
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
*Keith Kerrison*
post 13th Oct 2016, 08:40pm
Post #21

Whilst looking into my father's military history I came to this site. I have a photo taken 1943/44 at Morton Hall, Keighley, West Yorkshire. My father, Stanley Kerrison, is 2nd row, 6th from the right (Sgt in kilt).

There is also a copy of a reunion dinner programme from 1990 that might have some familiar names.

This board won't allow my attachments so if possible can you give an email address where they can sent to.

My understanding of the correct designation is: 2nd Bn. Glasgow Highlanders (9th HLI).

+Quote Post
GG
post 13th Oct 2016, 09:24pm
Post #22

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Hi Keith,

Email gg@glasgowguide.co.uk and I will be pleased to add your photo.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th Oct 2016, 11:55am
Post #23

Administrator
Group Icon
Please find attached the photos Keith sent on.

Great photo taken at Morton Hall towards the end of the war.

Thanks.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th Oct 2016, 11:58am
Post #24

Administrator
Group Icon
P.S. does anyone know why the reunion of the Carriers (2nd Bn. The Glasgow Highlanders) was held in Newcastle?

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
**Matt**
post 2nd Oct 2017, 10:09pm
Post #25

QUOTE (GG @ 15th Oct 2016, 11:55am) *
Please find attached the photos Keith sent on.

Great photo taken at Morton Hall towards the end of the war.

Thanks.

GG.

Hi, a bit late to the party here, but just starting to find out more about my grandad, Stephen Oliver who was in 2nd Bn Glasgow Highlanders. I can see him in this photo! 5th row back and 5th in from right.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.