Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another Mass Shooting In America, Massive tragedy in USA
Foxy52
post 16th Dec 2012, 08:58pm
Post #31

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
In most major cities over here we have metal detectors that pupils have to go through, plus in the Detroit area there are armed guards in the high schools, plus a dedicated police force just for the schools. This is only in the junior and high schools though, not in the primary schools. It was instituted a few years ago because of the rising problem with gangs in the schools, 13 through 18 year old kids were taking guns to school with the intent of using them against rival gang members also at that school. The problem is not so bad now, there is still the odd one or two try to smuggle them into the school, but for the most part the security measures work.
Nothing is going to work against a deranged individual who for whatever reason takes his rage out on innocents, lets face it what easier target could they have but defensless children.
Foxy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
A Mackinnon
post 16th Dec 2012, 09:04pm
Post #32

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,012
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 16th Dec 2012, 09:00pm) *
Not as much as i despair when i hear of yet another atrocity.

I was not putting forward a solution Dylan, only surprise that there is not tougher security in schools.

How would you tackle the problem Dylan?

Jags, many school's in the "inner City's" of America do indeed have armed guards, as well as metal detector airport type security, but this is just a wee town ...like Dunblane... with no way, short of turning all schools into armed camps, to prevent such cowardly bastards committing such atrocities. angry.gif

This school actual had a "buzz-in" security system in place. What was it my dad use to say, "Locks only keep an honest man out"!!

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 16th Dec 2012, 09:24pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
More guns will not result in less gun deaths.

Guns are the the problem.

Most if not all of these atrocities were caused by kids getting guns from their own homes. !

Columbine is another example.

The Americans must tighten up their gun laws and seriously look at " The Right To Bear Arms ".

However the Gun Lobby is so strong that no Politician has the Balls to mount a serious challenge.

Michael moore's Film, 2002, Bowling For Columbine dealt with this superbly and he was savaged by the Gun Lobby , mainly by Charton Heston.

Still a great Film.!

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 16th Dec 2012, 09:28pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (A Mackinnon @ 16th Dec 2012, 09:21pm) *
Jags, many school's in the "inner City's" of America do indeed have armed guards

Thanks Mac and Foxy for your posts, perhaps my question about Armed guards wasn't as far out there as some on here would have had us imagine.

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 16th Dec 2012, 09:59pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
That is why I despair !!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 16th Dec 2012, 11:21pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
My heart went out to the parents and town's people where this terrible event took place.
The shooter shot his own mother; who had taught him how to use fire arms, in the face first, before taking her favourite weapons and turning on these children and their teachers.
I can appreciate how some of our members might think armed guards in schools might be a deterant but who would ever consider an infant school as being in need of armed protection in the first place?

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 17th Dec 2012, 10:37am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 16th Dec 2012, 11:38pm) *
I can appreciate how some of our members might think armed guards in schools might be a deterant

but who would ever consider an infant school as being in need of armed protection in the first place?

THH, at no time have i said armed guards would act as a deterrent, as for the second point, one word...............Dunblane.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 17th Dec 2012, 12:19pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
I didn't say "said" I said "ThinK armed guards might act as a deterant". It was only a general observation but not directed at anyone in particular.
I remember being surprised one time while working near Nuremberg and being invited along to a gun club by a workmate to fire off his Sig-Sauer. Sitting at a table for drinks later with him and 4 of his mates I learned that between them they owned more than 20 hand guns and about 6 or 7 rifles ... all licenced and legal. I wondered if they knew something that I didn't. These were all guys in their early 20's.
It's way too easy to obtain firearms, even here in Germany. I meet hunters in the forest a few times a week too and they'll shoot anything; including your dog (and say they thought it was a wild boar) or a cat (and say they thought it was a fox).
Gun owning is; to a certain degree, a mentality thing and that's the problem - knowing the mental state of the gun owner.
Gun control must be tightened well up.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 17th Dec 2012, 12:26pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
This alone says a lot (from today's paper)

A Republican Congressman said that elementary school principals should be armed and have access to assault rifles in order to kill potential shooters.

Representative Louie Gohmert theorized that if the principal at Sandy Hook Elementary School had an M-4 rifle in her office, then she would have been able to shoot Adam Lanza before he proceeded to kill 20 students and six adults at the Newtown, Connecticut school.

'I wish to God she had had an M-4 in her office, locked up so when she heard gunfire, she pulls it out and she didn’t have to lunge heroically with nothing in her hands and takes him out and takes his head off before he can kill those precious kids,' he said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22...l#ixzz2FJQohrNu

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 17th Dec 2012, 01:45pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
It would appear opinion is down to .--

1) Fewer Guns =Fewer Gun Deaths.

OR

2) More Guns = Fewer Gun Deaths.

????.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 17th Dec 2012, 02:21pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Our schools are locked and you have to buzz to get in. We thought this was a bit much but hey if that's what it takes so be it. My girls are 31, and 33, when they attended the school the doors were wide open anyone could just walk in These days are long gone. But the thought of metal detectors and guns no way would I agree with that.
We do have a problem of guns getting across our borders from the states. Its a sad fact.
So I agree with what Dylan has been saying address the problem America and get rid of the guns. However right now is not the best time to debate this. In the midst of such a tragedy we should all turn to god for guidance .I hope some of the US politicians come to their senses.
This has to stop to may innocent families are being torn apart with so much violence.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
A Mackinnon
post 17th Dec 2012, 03:08pm
Post #42

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,012
Last week I was at my 4yr old grandson's Junior Kindergartens Christmas concert, over 40 fresh faced wee boys & girls, all excited, went onto the stage & sung four songs for our pleasure & delight.

This week, I am watching parents & grandparents, a whole town, overcome by grief & I can only imagine the pain they are going through not being able to watch their children's concerts this or any other year!

The first of the murdered wee babies are getting buried today, the shock & horror of such an event is slowly turning to mourning & anger that such a thing could happen.

Will it never end??

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 17th Dec 2012, 03:17pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 17th Dec 2012, 12:36pm) *
I didn't say "said" I said "ThinK armed guards might act as a deterant".

I stand corrected THH, what i should have said was " At no time did i think armed guards would act as a deterrent" tongue.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 17th Dec 2012, 04:33pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Isobel @ 17th Dec 2012, 02:38pm) *
... In the midst of such a tragedy we should all turn to god for guidance ...

I know you'll be angry with me Isabel but, honestly, what will god do about it? This is not the first time it's happened and it won't; unfortunately, be the last. What guidance has He come up with regarding the many such atrocities to date?
This is something that the citizens must ensure that the elected officials do something about, by rigorous control and enforcement of stringent gun laws.
Which normal citizen has a genuine need for an armoury at home?
None!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 17th Dec 2012, 06:40pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
Very sad to see so many young children killed in this horrific crime, a crime against humanity. Sadly in America this tragedy will bring about no change to their gun laws as America has almost throughout it's history had a gun culture and the NRA is a very powerful force in the country and even the bravest of politicians would shy away from taking them on
The irony is that violence begets violence and instead of cutting back on guns people may decide to arm themselves more. What will probably happen is that classrooms will become like mini jails with guards guarding the kids

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jul 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.