Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> World War 2, Some memories
Melody
post 7th Jun 2012, 01:08pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
My deepest condolences to you Doug1, such a sad loss for you.

I agree that they never mentioned much about the war. My dad was in the Royal Navy and on The Russians Convoys to Murmansk. When we were young we never realised the enormity of what they had seen and done in their young lives during the war.

I have no memory of those war days as I was born after it was all over. Gran would tell me how they all dreaded a telegram boy being in the street as it was so often horrific news. One day the telegram boy came to Gran's door and the family doctor had been in the house at the time. Gran was so afraid to open the telegram that the doctor had to open it. Happily it was from her Son/ my Dad to tell that he would be coming home on leave. I can imagine the sheer relief.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 7th Jun 2012, 03:00pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 7th Jun 2012, 12:21pm) *
I was born in '44 so it was all over when I was a wee kid listenin' to the grown-ups talk about what they'd been through. I thought my da' had been in the RIP during the war until it was pointed out that he was an ARP first aider. He never went into any detail about what he'd had to shift after an air raid over Glasgow but one time when I asked my mammy what he did during the war she said, "He came home each day or night and sat in the wee room for hours on end without a word then he'd be away again the next time the sirenes blew."

Said with poignancy TeeHee. i'm not sure but perhaps these were the days when it wasnt the done thing for men to show emotion "stiff upper lip" and all that sort of thing...thank goodness times have changed

Doug

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 8th Jun 2012, 08:46am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Melody @ 7th Jun 2012, 02:23pm) *
My deepest condolences to you Doug1, such a sad loss for you.

I agree that they never mentioned much about the war. My dad was in the Royal Navy and on The Russians Convoys to Murmansk. When we were young we never realised the enormity of what they had seen and done in their young lives during the war.

I have no memory of those war days as I was born after it was all over. Gran would tell me how they all dreaded a telegram boy being in the street as it was so often horrific news. One day the telegram boy came to Gran's door and the family doctor had been in the house at the time. Gran was so afraid to open the telegram that the doctor had to open it. Happily it was from her Son/ my Dad to tell that he would be coming home on leave. I can imagine the sheer relief.

Hi Melody and thanks. Your dad would know what fear meant being on the Russian convoys as of course would your gran constantly fearful of the dreaded telegram. All of them, in their own way, brave souls

Doug
_________

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 31st Jul 2012, 06:52am
Post #19

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
Reading this thread I have to give a lot of credit to the wives and mothers who showed such stoicism during what was surely the most terrifyng time of their lives. I don`t ever remember seeing a frightened expression on my mums`s face, and my dad away at sea,so she was coping single handed too,,life went on,we ate and slept and had jam sandwiches at bedtime,then in the middle of the night away to the shelter with the sirens blaring and Gerry above us,and in the shelter someone playing a wee accordian thing,,and everyone singing or just talking gossip. I just know i could never in my life show such courage if faced with such horror,yet our mothers coped,raised families and some lived well in to old age,my mother in law,lived to 101.had 6 kids at the time and got the scare when the power station at dalmarnock was bombed. True grit for sure.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 31st Jul 2012, 12:14pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Taurus. As you say it must have been very tough for the womenfolk at home having to look after their homes and families and perhaps also doing vital wartime work. They would do all this without knowing whether they would ever see their loved ones again. I guess in those days there was a great deal of community spirit around with people helping one another. I cant for the life of me imagine what it must have been like to come out of an air raid shelter to find that your house is gone, not simply damaged but completely gone. The sad thing is that at this very moment in Aleppo, Syria you have a similar situation where totally innocent men women and children are being bombed out of their houses and made to flee to safety as fighting rages all around them..so tragic

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 31st Jul 2012, 09:10pm
Post #21

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
As the great man himself (Rabbie Burns) says "man`s inhumanity to man".Says it all really.

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 9th Aug 2013, 09:52pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
Okinawa footage released today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v58OpsxpFco...be_gdata_player

Human history archive

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.