Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> World War 2, Some memories
wee mags
post 30th Oct 2005, 04:52pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
I remember running or atlest being carried to the air raid shelter in the back yard,and the air raid wardens telling you to hurry up ,once in side you felt awe cozy for your mom never mentioned what was happening,my two older brothers would be laughing at me for I was just a wee thing about four at the time ,aand I would have this big woolen blanket that made you itchy,after we would all be setteled in ,time for the moms and dads who were there to start a wee sing song ,"When the lights go on again all over the world " was such a sad song then,"The White cliffs of Dover" and a daft George Formby song which was sung to the bango playing by the man up the road and that got everyone laughing again then ,a wee woman sang "Im a lonely little petunia in an onion patch"its funny what you remember from those days
my dad at the time worked for the RollsRoyce and he would some times have to do a 24 hour shift,and as he left I would be standing at our front window shout TaTa daddy till he rounded the corner and even then he would give me a "see yi in the morning hen" wub.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Avril
post 25th Jul 2006, 07:44pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
I have just had a novel about Glasgow published. The story starts in Possilpark in 1950 with 2 year old Linda Macgregor. It traces back to her grandparents then tells the romantic love story of her parents during the second world war. It also takes in trips 'Doon the Watter' from the Broomielaw to Rothesay, over the Forth Rail Bridge to Fife, Ruchill, Maryhill (including Jaconelli's cafe), Milton, Springburn, Glasgow City Centre and many other areas of Glasgow. When I was little in the 1950's, I listened to my parents, aunts and uncles talking about the good and bad times during the war and 'the olden days'. This has inspired me to do more research and write this tale about a fiction family growing up in Glasgow during these times. In true Glasgow fashion the humour shines through, even when times are tough! The book is called 'What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye' (By Avril Dalziel Saunders) ISBN:1-84667-013-6. It is selling well all over the world and exceptionally well in Canada. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 5th Jun 2012, 05:22pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
Last week my father died. It wasnt a sad occasion because he had reached the ripe old age of 103 and was just 6 weeks of his 104th birthday. The funny thing is that people of his generation never seem to talk much about the war and my dad was like that. It was quite late in his life that i learned that he had taught RADAR to the free polish air force during WW2. I knew he was a clever man and worked in radio during the war but i didnt know much more than that all he ever said was that he drove an ambulance part time. I think he regarded that as more important than his teaching radar. His passing means that he was probably the last person left anywhere who did this valuable work

The amazing thing about him was his love of electronics and gadgetry from his war years and less that 4 weeks before passing away he was still using his facebook and twitter accounts and still sending emails to his family and friends and had just returned from holidaying in Portugal. For all of that he was a simple modest man RIP

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
Elma
post 5th Jun 2012, 05:38pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Condolences to you Doug, but what wonderful memories you must have of your Dad. Savour these memories and look back on him with pride.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 6th Jun 2012, 06:34am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Elma @ 5th Jun 2012, 06:53pm) *
Condolences to you Doug, but what wonderful memories you must have of your Dad. Savour these memories and look back on him with pride.

Thank you Elma for your kind words

Doug

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 6th Jun 2012, 10:51pm
Post #6

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Hi Doug,

Your father sounds like he was a very special man. I'm always amazed at how many men and women did extraordinary things during the war to help win vistory, but then refused to talk about it thereafter. I think that people lived through that time and witnessed the huge loss and scarifice, but survived, always felt truly humbled.

A very sad loss. Thanks for sharing his wonderful story with us.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
angel
post 6th Jun 2012, 11:55pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
My condolences Doug on the death of your Dad
He was one of a kind . smile.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 7th Jun 2012, 04:28am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
My condolences to you Doug on the loss of your Dad.

I know what you mean about your dad not talking about the war as my dad was the same.
He enlisted before the war began and was in the Royal Artillery then the Royal Navy. He never spoke about the war and when one of my bro-in-law asked him about it, all he got told was, 'we had a few run's in with the Germans'. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 7th Jun 2012, 06:45am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (GG @ 7th Jun 2012, 12:06am) *
Hi Doug,

Your father sounds like he was a very special man. I'm always amazed at how many men and women did extraordinary things during the war to help win vistory, but then refused to talk about it thereafter. I think that people lived through that time and witnessed the huge loss and scarifice, but survived, always felt truly humbled.

A very sad loss. Thanks for sharing his wonderful story with us.

GG.

Thanks GG I very much appreciate your response

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 7th Jun 2012, 06:47am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (angel @ 7th Jun 2012, 01:10am) *
My condolences Doug on the death of your Dad
He was one of a kind . smile.gif

Thanks Angel for your kind words

Doug

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 7th Jun 2012, 06:58am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Heather @ 7th Jun 2012, 05:43am) *
My condolences to you Doug on the loss of your Dad.

I know what you mean about your dad not talking about the war as my dad was the same.
He enlisted before the war began and was in the Royal Artillery then the Royal Navy. He never spoke about the war and when one of my bro-in-law asked him about it, all he got told was, 'we had a few run's in with the Germans'. laugh.gif

Thanks Heather. I think your right. People suffered so much during during the great wars they just seemed to prefer to shut it out of their minds. Perhaps this feeling brings home the true horrors of what our present lads and lassies and their families go through. Thank you for your kind response

Doug
_________

--------------------

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 7th Jun 2012, 10:02am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
sorry to hear of your fathers passing Doug ,he sounded like he was some kind of man ,like yout dad my oldest brother served in the second world war we did not reilize until after his death he must have bee just 17 when he joined.he served in Palestine as it was called the and he was overseas for some time ,we also never knew until he died that he had a steel plate in his head ,as you say they never spoke about it and you wondered how in the name of god they and now the young men and women are doing it today, God Bless and bring them home safely

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 7th Jun 2012, 10:40am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (wee mags @ 7th Jun 2012, 11:17am) *
sorry to hear of your fathers passing Doug ,he sounded like he was some kind of man ,like yout dad my oldest brother served in the second world war we did not reilize until after his death he must have bee just 17 when he joined.he served in Palestine as it was called the and he was overseas for some time ,we also never knew until he died that he had a steel plate in his head ,as you say they never spoke about it and you wondered how in the name of god they and now the young men and women are doing it today, God Bless and bring them home safely

Thanks Mags and sad to hear you talk about your older brother i'm sure it must have been very difficult for you and your family with him being so young. Things like this just sort of stay with you forever dont they

Doug

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 7th Jun 2012, 11:06am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Doug1 @ 7th Jun 2012, 08:13am) *
... People suffered so much during during the great wars they just seemed to prefer to shut it out of their minds ...
Doug

I was born in '44 so it was all over when I was a wee kid listenin' to the grown-ups talk about what they'd been through. I thought my da' had been in the RIP during the war until it was pointed out that he was an ARP first aider. He never went into any detail about what he'd had to shift after an air raid over Glasgow but one time when I asked my mammy what he did during the war she said, "He came home each day or night and sat in the wee room for hours on end without a word then he'd be away again the next time the sirenes blew."

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
zascot
post 7th Jun 2012, 11:58am
Post #15

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
I don`t think the youngsters know what they owe these people and to read that other thread- metal theft in Glasgow- where they desicrated a memorial makes me sick.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.