Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Walls Came Tumbling Down, The Clydebank Blitz -
Catarina
post 16th Apr 2007, 04:31pm
Post #16

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,071
I lived with my Granny during the blitz...For whatever reason,and it surely couldn't have been for safety,we,and a few neighbours would sit in the lobby of her third floor tenement when the sirens went.Goodnes if a bomb fell we surely were sitting targets. I do recall however going to the shelter on one occasion. This was in Nelson Street,Southside. I already told this story on GG sometime ago.
One of the neighbours was a very old Irish lady by the name of Mrs.Duke....She wore a black shawl,which was the style then..She would sit in the lobby with us,reciting the rosary on her beads. I do recall,that when we heard what seemed like a bomb hitting something somewhere, she would,while still reciting her prayers,shout a very definite swear word..She was quite the character. Her bachelor son who had a hump back, I apologize if that isn't the correct word, used to get drunk on a Saturday night, and we could hear her chasing him with a broomstick,and calling after him..."jist you wait,ya wee humpy back b----r. There was laughter even amidst the nightmare of War.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jock
post 16th Apr 2007, 09:38pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
There were numerous "aerial" bombs dropped during the war. These were really land mines on parachutes and exploded on contact. Their landings were indiscriminate and subject to the prevailing wind. However the Kilmun St. area received a load of 'regular' bombs.
One story at the time was that the Kilmun St. bombs were really intended for the Maryhill Barracks nearby. If this was true the problem was solved shortly thereafter when hundreds of German POW's were moved by rail into the Barracks for the remainder of the war.

My dad worked for the railroad and I personally saw the POW's from a signal box overlooking the Barracks.

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 16th Apr 2007, 09:54pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Catarina I think you will find a lot of us lived with our grannies at that time. Women worked shifts in the munitions factories , and of course Da's were away in the forces , so the dear Auld Grannies were lumbered wi the weans . I have lots of memories of the time I spent wi ma Granny and Granda. tongue.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 16th Apr 2007, 11:50pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
hey Jock I remember the prisoners in the barracks , they would come to the fence at the Kelvindale Rd to try to talk to us ,my older rother John would take me
its funny the things you remember wink.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
valleyboy38
post 17th Apr 2007, 09:51am
Post #20

Lord Provost
Member No.: 219
me an ma brother stayed right close to maryhill barraks and wee used to collect douts [fag ends]from upstairs on the caurs an buses an gie them to the german prisoners of war and we got hand made toys and german belts off them.I remember ma older brother gave a POW 5 woodbine and the german gave him a ring made out of a gold cruifix

me an ma brother stayed right close to maryhill barraks and wee used to collect douts [fag ends]from upstairs on the caurs an buses an gie them to the german prisoners of war and we got hand made toys and german belts off them.I remember ma older brother gave a POW 5 woodbine and the german gave him a ring made out of a gold cruifix

+Quote Post
valleyboy38
post 17th Apr 2007, 09:53am
Post #21

Lord Provost
Member No.: 219
sorry the computer toof a wee hicup

+Quote Post
alybally
post 10th May 2007, 05:50am
Post #22

Visitor
Member No.: 4,753
My family lived in Clydebank at the time of the blitz at what is called the holy city,mt mum and dad were expecting my sister, she was born in june.My late husbands family were bombed and he lost his dad and 5 siblings, his mum was pregnant with him at the time, he had 2 sisters and 1 brother left ,his mum was one of the best and bravest woman i have ever met .one of my sis in laws was on a programme i think on Abc talking about that night ,my mum brought me a tape of it on her last visit here afew years ago.only one member of the family is alive and still living in ClydebankI was born 1943 so thank goodness missed it all

+Quote Post
scorpio11
post 30th Jun 2007, 12:31am
Post #23

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,547
QUOTE (Gallusbisom @ 23rd Mar 2007, 10:22 PM) *
My Great Aunt Helen (Nellie), was in Clydebank the night of the blitz and aftewards she walked in her nighty, no shoes, nothing but her two young kids from Clydebank to McLellan St. ( near the Kinning Park subway station), to relatives. Talk about guts, that generation had it and more.
GB
"scorpio11" date' june29th 2007 post#11

I well remember that night, we were in the shelters most of the night, next morning I went with my mother and grandmother to look for relatives

+Quote Post
Lion
post 3rd Jul 2007, 01:03pm
Post #24

Settling In
Member No.: 4,861
Hi people,

All I can add is that my Mum lived in Clydebank at the time and she was evacuated. Do know that my Gran and Grandad stayed on along with my Uncles. One of my uncles lost his life trying to wipe off one of the incendiary bombs.

+Quote Post
angel
post 3rd Jul 2007, 01:54pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
hello Lion, lots of stories like yours during the war,,, but anyway nice to see your
posts, so just carry on

laugh.gif laugh.gif lots of these around these boards.........Angel

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Iain McGuinness
post 7th Jan 2008, 03:35am
Post #26

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,284
This is an interesting topic. I recently directed my first documentary, Post-Blitz Clydebank (http://www.post-blitzclydebank.co.uk/). The Blitz is a fascinating, but tragic part of my town's history. It all seems quite surreal to someone of my generation. However, after speaking to many local people who were actually there, it became very real in my mind.

+Quote Post
*Peter Mitchell*
post 11th May 2008, 05:21am
Post #27

I remember , it must have been when Blackburn St was bombed, my mother saying Plantation had been hit. We livrd in Seaward St at the top end near Marlow terrace and had spent the night in the shelters. When we got back to our "hoose" 1up at number 240 everything was covered in soot. the Gerries had cleaned the chimneys.
For years from when I was about ten years old I had a recurring dream. My Ma and I and "Auld Mary Gallagher " from next door were sitting on the back seat of a single decker bus, in the dark. The bus was bumping and bouncing all over the place when somebody up at the front struck a match and a voice in the dark said "Poot oot that effin' light" When I eventually told my Ma about this she reckoned I was about three when it happened and the "bus" was an air raid shelter during the above mentioned bombing. I can still remember it plain as day and I'm well into my 60's .

+Quote Post
backcauseway
post 17th Jan 2009, 08:09pm
Post #28

Visitor
Member No.: 6,322
I lived in Drumchapel at this time and used to go to an Ack Ack gunsite. We called it "big Bertha" when it was firing at the German planes. It had a sort of characteristic thump thump thump sort of sound.
Anyway the guys at it told my pal -we used to go up and sell them lemonade and stuff from the local shop- they ran out of ammo the first night of the Clydebank Blitz! By 1943 they had a lot of women in the camp. I was told that the Germans flew over so low they could not really shoot up at them in early 1943 when the Germans had a raid.
These Ack Ack guns broke more windows and roof slates. I dont think they ever hit anything.
Then my grandpa was in the Home Guard and he used to go up to Hardgate Golf Course where they had a missile Z rocket battery I dont think it ever got fired. Then there was the smoke truck that went up and down Drumry Road. Idea was the smoke covered Clydebank. Dont think that ever worked but used to see it. I think they were based in Knightswood around Dyke Road or Archerhill Road. I saw the trucks their a few times. Then there was the mobile searchlight units. I think one was at Sunnyside Drive on Great Western Road. My memory is not so great as it was long long ago. Does anyone remember the Prisoners of War in black sort of track suits with big triangles/ diamonds or circles in purple on the back working on the local farms? Did these purple things on the back mean anything? I think most of the local POWS were Italian but I do remember a few Germans. One was a young Austrian lad. Heard he married and never went home.

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 23rd Apr 2009, 09:23pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
many of you will remember this during the war

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 23rd Apr 2009, 09:29pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
the first war 1915

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.