Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lyon Street Glasgow, Memorial to those who died
liz39
post 26th Jun 2005, 10:58pm
Post #16

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,168
heather i have asked st columbia quite a few times about records all i get told is that the baptismal records are there nothing else i have even asked if they could check the archdiocese storerooms but no one will help
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 27th Jun 2005, 01:14pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
Good to see Liz joining in the discussion, as she's the one who got this started. (Hi Liz)
No luck at Milton Library I'm afraid but I have got a copy of the postcard poem from David Warrilow, a local historian. (see below)
I'll try to get a clear copy of the Evening times article from 1962 and post the photo for you all to see. Failing that you can always come to the Mitchell and have look for yourselves. The Glasgow room is on the second floor.

Le dýrachd,
Dimairt

The Men of Lyon St.
(Specially written for T. Logan Downie,Esq.)

There's a little street in Glasgow
At the top of Grascube Rd,
That has bred some noble soldiers
Worthy of a King's abode.
The street is not a long one,
Just about six hundred feet,
But it's turned out a man per foot-
The Men of Lyon St.

Some of them were in the Seaforths,
In the Sweeps or H.L.I.,
The Argylls and gallant Gordons:
In a foreign grave they lie.
Some are in the Forty Second,
Or the Borderers, so neat,
Camerons, Fusiliers, all fighters,
The Men of Lyon St.

Some are serving in the Navy,
Royal Scots, and R.F.A.;
Some are in the Royal Irish P
Pushing Fritz out of the way.
One at least has gained the honour
Of commissioned rank complte,
And they won a score of medals, have
The Men of Lyon Street.

They have surely made a record,
Even in this record war,
And we ought to sound thier praises
Over all the world afar.
They have nobly done their duty
Those men who can'r be beat,
Who are worhty of all honour,
The Men of Lyon Street.

7th. December,1917 R.F. Morrison

+Quote Post
rosie-k
post 27th Jun 2005, 05:52pm
Post #18

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,468
I wish you every success in your search, the poem was beautiful you seem to be hitting a brick wall at every turn, I thought St.Columba's would have been able to help with this. Heather I made a mistake it was Sister Mary Baptist I should have said not Gabriel, that was the one who scared me------I remember now when you mentioned the name, I must have been having a senior moment, poor Sister Gabriel saying that about her.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 28th Jun 2005, 11:25am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Dimairt, this is very disappointing news.

I phoned my aunt, she said the Roll of Honour was not among the display, but the name of the person who is supposed to have it was there. She asked at the library the other day and they said they knew nothing about it, and she was surprised as the display was there only a matter of weeks ago.

My aunt gave me a name but I do not want to put it on here so I will phone you with it. It may or may not help.

Could you maybe get the Evening Times or the Daily Record involved and get them to print the story. Someone may have more information or someone may have it and not realise the importance of it.

Maybe we all have to get together and storm the doors of the Archdiocese Office in Clyde Street. mad.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 28th Jun 2005, 04:55pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks Heather for the help and the suggestions. I've posted a copy of the Evening Times article to you.
I looked through the Evening Times archive today to see if there was a follow-up to the October 16th 1962 article but there was nothing - they didn't seem to have a letters page.
Perhaps Liz would consider approaching the paper; they might like the story - it seems to have attracted a fair bit of interest on this site alone.
I'll ask if the Council's magazine, "Glasgow", which goes to every household in the city, would be interested.
I'll also check at Milton in case they've kept the poster; I can put another up to see what happens.
Thanks again to all for your supportive comments. As usual, any suggestions are welcome.

Dimairt

+Quote Post
liz39
post 28th Jun 2005, 07:49pm
Post #21

Unpacking
dimairt i tried to phone you today anyway the original photo of the 1962 newspaper articles are in the mitchell in the rooms owned by herald evening times as you see there are two photos last month they got back in touch with me and said they found the lyon st picture with the horse and cart it was a clear picture but the roll photo was gone it must be there somewhere they also said a few librarians helped to look for it but who knows i spoke to a journalist in october and they put a very small article in the evening times i got 4 phone calls to the school saying the pub roll was in the palace i find not having any support behind me maybe thats why i am not getting anywhere i have another road to go down will see how that goes to early to say yet if that fails that lovely poem will be the new memorial as our headteacher has okay this will add to the memory of the many men from lyon street would anyone have a old wedding photo of st josephs with a picture of the plaque on view you never know

+Quote Post
Heather
post 10th Aug 2005, 08:20pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Dimairt, how is the search going, any luck.

I got the paper cuttings you sent me and they were very interesting. Sorry for not letting you know sooner. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 10th Aug 2005, 09:24pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
I'm sorry Heather but I think we're at a dead-end. I looked through the STV archive yesterday to no avail.
I 've asked my colleagues at the People's Palace to look again to see if they've anything in their records.
Will keep going though and welcome any suggestions.

Le durachd,
Dimairt

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 26th Sep 2005, 06:31pm
Post #24

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Hi All,
My name is Robert Carrigan lived in Phoenix Park Terrace, went to St Joseph.s till 1955. Moved to 13 Raglan St with my Gran Bella Carrigan ie: Devine 1952 when our Mum died. My grandfather's Brother Hugh Carrigan was on the Scroll. The last time I heard about it it was taken from Kiernan's Bar in the Garscube rd in the early 60s it was supposed to have been put on display in The Highlan sad.gif der Pub or Glasgow Highlander Pub not sure of name but it was directly accross from the old Barracks on Maryhill rd. Hope this helps I saw the scroll in the Kiernan's but no nothing of one in the chapel.

Robert Carrigan Still in Glasgow

This post has been edited by hudggy: 26th Sep 2005, 07:03pm

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
flam
post 26th Sep 2005, 08:51pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Hudggy As you probably know there whwere three Pubs in the Maryhill Area [1]H.L.I. [2] Royal Highlander ? [Highlander] and [3] The Elephant and Bugle which was situated across the Street from the Barracks..And another little bit of nformation the Lady whose husband I take to St Teresa's Chapel every Sunday is Isa Devine and she stayed in that area,her mother owned I believe a Fruit Shop Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 27th Sep 2005, 01:51pm
Post #26

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Hi Flim,
As I said I was not sure of the correct name for the pub but it was accross from the Barracks. The man you take to St Terera's chapel every sunday cannot be the husband of Isa Devine maybe the Husband of Isa McLaglan daugther of Mary McLaglan my Gran's sister. The fruit shop was first owned by Isabella Torbet Devine both her Married names my g grandmother then by my Gran Isabella Torbet Carrigan who after giving up the shop.It was run by my Aunt Isabella Carrigan ( Galloway Dunn) married names in brackets. Mary McLaglan and Isabell Torbet are sisters as far as i know step sisters I was never told the full story of how that is but always called Mary my Aunty and Isa MCLaglan Aunt also. Could you ask her husband about Harry (Henry) Devine my great Grandfather what I am doing is building the family tree and would like to know the story of Irish Harry and English Jimmy if he will tell you. If my Aunt Isa is still alive is she on the telephone, I believe her Husband is John Donnachie maybe not spelt correct but never never got to know him when I was growing up.

Hudggy

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 30th Oct 2005, 06:10pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Here's a wee update on the Lyon St. story. Unfortunately, we haven't found the Roll of Honour but thanks to Liz, who started this and never gives up, Baille Alex Mossan has commissioned a new memorial which will include the poem - see previous - and be re-dedicated in a service to be held in the local primary.
Who knows, perhaps publicity around that will prompt memories. Thanks to all who have written on this.

Le durachd,
Dimairt

+Quote Post
Heather
post 30th Oct 2005, 07:25pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Dimairt, I'm glad to hear that news. Although not the original, the new memorial will mean a lot to the relations of those whose names will be on it.

It's annoying to think that the original memorial will more than likely be lying in someone's attic, or the bottom of a trunk.

Someday it will turn up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
liz39
post 8th Nov 2005, 08:14pm
Post #29

Unpacking
dimairt and heather a wee update on the memorial the plaque is still getting made it wont be on time but what is happening is that a mock one will be unveiled at the school on 18th nov at 315pm once the proper one is finished it will be swapped over i would like to invite every one who would like to attend to come as you will all be welcome it should be a good day as its also our 40th birthday thank you to every one who replyed to lyon st glasgow im still a bit sad the original could not be found but as you say heather it will be gathering dust somewhere who knows look forward to seeing you thank you liz

+Quote Post
rosie-k
post 8th Nov 2005, 09:38pm
Post #30

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,468
That was a nice wee bit of news, so good luck on the 40th Celebrations in November. I have been watching this article from the beginning as I originally came from that district and went to School there.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.