Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Father's Memories Of The Clydebank Blitz
Steph
post 1st Sep 2013, 09:34am
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 5,841
See an interview STV conducted with my much missed late father on the 60th anniversary of the Clydebank Blitz. It says it all really. He served with distinction on the destroyer ORP Piorun during WW2. You can view it by copying and pasting this address into your browser - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRhalb0CGGA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 1st Sep 2013, 09:55am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
You must be very proud of him.
My stepmother went through the war near Clydebank so she would be one of the people he was protecting.

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 1st Sep 2013, 10:13am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
I have been to see the Solidarity wall at clydebank. I'm glad you have that news report featuring your father. These Polish sailors were heroes. Not only in manning the guns during the air raids, but also going around helping to extinguish the fires from incendiary bombs. They saved lives. In recent years their memory has been honoured by the Provost and people of Clydebank and the Commodore at Faslane base. Your dad was a hero and you're rightly proud.

+Quote Post
Rab
post 20th Oct 2013, 07:06pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
Steph. Here is a photo of ORP Piorun being prepared for the Normandy landings. The censor has scratched out the ships number.

Attached Image

Here is a link to a part of the ships war record.
http://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/5423.html

Great memories. We owe much to servicemen like your father.
I particularly liked the anecdote about Piorun attacking the Bismark: Just when he was about to open fire, the Captain of Piorun signalled the Bismark 'I AM A POLE!'
Rab.

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.