Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Air Raid Shelters, Shelters near Govanhill
The Douner
post 3rd Oct 2010, 04:34pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,366
Hi Folks,
Not a regular poster, however for some time been looking at the forums.
I have a vague recolection of the air raids during W11 while staying with my grandmother at the corner of Aitkenhead road (no.5) and Cathcart rd opposite "McDougals" the ironmonger. When the sirens went we would run to a quite large air raid shelter, my picture is it was underground. (like a subway station) The subway stations are too far away so anyone have any recolection of this scene.
Regards,
The douner

--------------------
O wad the power the gift tae gie us, tae see oursels as ithers see us
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 3rd Oct 2010, 06:20pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Thankfuly I have not lived through any bombing but I remember my granny telling us stories of when the gas works were a target during the 2nd war. My mother tells me even to this day that my granny never left her house when the sirens went off because she had to get up for work at 5an and needed her sleep as she worked in the amunitions factory down Kelvindale rd. Rumor has it that she would murmur a few choice words and go back to sleep. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 3rd Nov 2010, 10:11am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Hi Douner, I lived in Dorset st in Anderson for a while, at the end of Dorset st there where stables underneath the tenements in what would be the basement, these where used as air raid shelters during the war.
Perhaps there was a similiar stable where you lived? the ones we played in where very long, wide and high and still had the stables inside, although the horses were long gone.

Another airaid shelter in Port Dundas on railway property was built into the side of a hill but was just wide enough for bench seats along both sides and space to walk in-between them it was only about 6 feet high.

Up in Glebe st in the Toonhied across from St Mungos Primary the airaid shelters were built of brick and must have been originally in the back court of some tenement, for a long time after the tenements were gone you would still see the airaid shelters

+Quote Post
rockabilly
post 18th Nov 2010, 10:15pm
Post #4

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,655
hi all

i was born in 1937 and lived in Ashfield St possil during the war. I remember in possil and round the corner in Fruin st their were air raid shelters all up the backcourts also the back of St Theresa school their were underground tunnels. i was evacuated to ABERDEEN when a bomb landed in East Keppoch shool just down the road. what i remember about the air raid shelters was how all the children thought it great to be going in there when the sirenes went off most of the grown ups stopped indoors they had to make sure the curtains did not have any chinks in them. The shelters stayed up for years after the war and became play areas for the kids.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 19th Nov 2010, 03:21am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
We had one right next to us on the spare ground at Wellfield St,Springburn....also a baffle wall at each close....the area as seen on a Luftwaffe map was named as a target...Tons of heavy industry in that area..Brabby's..St Rollox..N.B. Loco..The Caley

+Quote Post
Terry Burke
post 11th Aug 2011, 07:21am
Post #6

Visitor
Member No.: 7,323
I was 2 years old when War broke out and we lived in a tenement at 606 Dalmarnock Road, now long since demolished. We had no air raid shelters whatsoever, nor did any of the older tenements in the Dalmarnock District. Instead there were steel girders in the close from ground to ceiling that were intended to support the ceiling in the event of a "direct hit" by a bomb. There was also a brick baffle wall about 7 feet tall built about 2 feet in front of the entrance to the close. This was intended to minimise blast waves entering the close from explosions in the street. When the air raid siren sounded all tenants were expected to leave their homes and assemble in the cold draughty close for the duration of the air raid. Had a bomb hit the building there would have been a massacre. It was criminal to leave 12 families at 606 Dalmarnock Road with this lack of safe or even minimally effective protection, but because of war time and numbers involved we just had to make the best of things. Can you imagine the amount of "whingeing" there would be if this happened now in our "entitlement" ridden society? However during air raids nobody went down to the close. Instead all the tenants (mostly women and children) would gather in a neighbour's flat and sit-out the air raid there together. I still have a clear recollection of the big raid on the night that the Germans tried to knock-out the Dalmarnock Power Station using a large land mine dropped by parachute. Wind deflected the parachute and a row of houses on the opposite side of the street from the Power Station was hit and demolished. This was nearly half a mile away from us, but the blast of the explosion caused our builidng to sway and we were all thrown across the floor but nobody was hurt. Incidentally I don't know if any academic historians have caught on to the fact that quite a few of these postings constitute an absolute treasure trove of Oral History that would otherwise be lost. If they have not then someone should give them a nudge!

+Quote Post
The Music Man
post 18th Jul 2012, 02:26pm
Post #7

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,659
My father had been a regular in the Seaforth Highlanders but left the army when he married my mother.

When war was declared, my father, being a reservist was recalled immediately to join his regiment at Fort George.

I was only 18 months old at the time but I remember seeing my father arrive home on embarcation leave dressed in his uniform and carrying his rifle and kitbag.

When my father left for France we stayed with my grandparents at 1233 Shettleston Road which was known as Bellview Cottage.

My father was with the 51st Highland Division, part of the BEF sent to France. The 51st HD was placed under the command of the French and although almost everyone knows about Dunkirk where the main BEF was evacuated, not a lot was revealed about the "men they left behind" who, having faught a vallient rearguard action against overwhelming odds, finally retreated to St Valery en Caux where out of ammunition, deprived of sleep and food for days, they eventually surrendered.

I mention the above because those who were fortunate enough to return after the war, were like my father and never mentioned what they had gone through.

To anyone who had a relative in the 51st Highland Division at St Vallery I strongly recommend reading "Dunkirk - The men they left behind" by Sean Longden.

It is a factual account of what these gallent men went through, taken from the men who actually took part.

But to get back to the subject - I well remember the sirens, the throbing sound of the German planes and the whistle of bombs dropping. On one occasion, three bombs fell quite close to us as we took cover in the Anderson Shelter in the garden of my grandparents house. It was always half full of water and we had to use Bakers Breadboards fixed to the side of the shelter to keep us above the water level.

I remember too the searchlights, probing the night sky for enemy bombers.

Next day, after the raid, all the boys collected bits of shrapnel which we used to swap amongst ourselves. There were also pieces of perspex from the planes which quite a few people made into finger rings.

We moved to 40 old Shettleston Road just before the official end of the war in Europe and I remember well that at the corner of Old Shettleston Road and Blair Street, there was a very large Emergency Water Supply, which looked like a swimming pool.

I mention this because having spoken with a number of Shettlestonians, not any of them was aware of it's exsistance.

Alex

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.