Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Grainger Campbell Bagpipes
*Rebecca Blair*
post 11th Feb 2008, 05:29pm
Post #1

Hi, I am doing some research and trying to find the location/ address of the Gainger Campbell Bagpipe Co. that closed in 1989. Anybody know? Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marion Niven Dou...
post 12th Feb 2008, 06:32pm
Post #2

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,715
Sorry Rebecca I can't help you with this. Welcome to the Boards rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Java
post 12th Feb 2008, 09:14pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Hi Rebecca

I came across an entry on a family history website some time ago and apparently Grainger Campbell took over the premises of McCrae bagpipe makers in Argyle Street. Hope this helps.

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
*grainger*
post 2nd Mar 2008, 06:53pm
Post #4

George Grainger was my grandfather. He had a workshop around 1103 argyle street- down the close and on the right, I think it used to be an undertakers before he was there. I don't know if the firm moved after he died which was well before 1989 but hopefully this will lead you in the right direction.

+Quote Post
*Rick Krehbiel*
post 29th Apr 2009, 05:05am
Post #5

Rebecca, I may be a year late, but I came across an old brochure that lists the Grainger Campbell address as 1191 - 1193 Argyle Street in Glasgow. Good luck!

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 25th Jul 2009, 01:55pm
Post #6

how much could I earn when I sell a Grainger & Campbell Bagpipe from that time witch was never played (new)??

+Quote Post
*Iain MacDonald*
post 12th Feb 2020, 03:44pm
Post #7

Grainger & Campbell were located in what is now "Hidden Lane" at 1103 Argyle Street. If you walk from Argyle Street into the lane to the opening, the Graingers' doors were immediately on the right, and the little window you pass on the right used to look in. The undertaker was in the 1970s across the other side of the lane, but in the same back area.

I went there for piping lessons, and spent many hours there over two years.

+Quote Post
**Craig**
post 2nd Feb 2021, 02:47am
Post #8

I was hoping I could upload photos. I came across this and it's likely far too late. but in case this is the missing link in some lifelong genealogy search or something:

I happen to have a set of Grainger and Campbells that I received new circa 1978. I still have the manual. It's in really good shape. And it definitively shows the company address as

1103 Argyle Street, Glasgow, G3 8ND
SCOTLAND
Tel.: 041-221-9103

I wouldn't try that phone today - who knows who you'd get?

At least that was the address in the 1978 / 1979 time frame. It's quite possible that changes in fortune over the years brought about a little bit of real estate hop-scotch (no pun intended).

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd Mar 2021

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.