Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

25 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is The Union Already Lost?, Referendum: 18th September 2014
boots
post 7th Jan 2014, 11:19am
Post #151

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,524
I have just finished reading (at one shot) all 10 pages of posts in this thread and I would like to thank all the posters who contributed as I now have a much better grasp of the pros and cons of both sides of the question than previously. Living in Canada I naturally don't have a vote which is as it should be but now I must guiltily admit, I'm almost grateful that I will be a bystander. You see, if I were voting, it would be for the Scotland I knew and I think that's a very different Scotland you know today. I would have been following my heart, sticking with what was familiar, holding on to memories I don't want to let go of, but in reality most of it seems to have already gone. I'll gladly let go of our mainly English parliament but must I give up Queen Elizabeth - the 18 year old princess I remember in her army uniform helping defend London as it was being blitzed. I'd like to keep her son and grandchildren too but I don't think that will be part of the negotiations nor do I sense that many other people will share my "likes" but then we all agree on everything, can we? if we did we wouldn't need to vote. So after all my reading, sentiment has given way to logic and if I were voting this September, I would mark my ballot YES.

boots
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*ann mcdonald*
post 7th Jan 2014, 12:09pm
Post #152

On scanning this site I notice some people who seem to have all the answers much like Salmond. They seem to be a fountain of self centered knowledge and a bit of dreamers like most Nationalists. Here are some historical facts about great Scots dreamers and how we should learn from history.

The Darien project , heard of it ? bet they have and he will correct any mistakes I may make. In the late 1600 s the Scots set of to create their own trading nation called Caledonia on the Ishmus of Panama the capital was called New Edinburgh. One Thomas Drummond was in charge, a dreamer and ill equipped to be in charge . things had only been dreamed about "sound familiar". He and his followers had no idea what was involved in a massive undertaking like this.

The crops failed because they hadnt done their homework on the climate the indians didnt want their trinkets, disease set in and many were dead . All this time word was sent back to Scotland that all was going well (lies) After 8 months in JULY 1699 it was abandoned but because the Scots had not been told in time a second expedition had already left arriving in NOVEMBER 1699. Meanwhile the Spanish who saw their trade being threatened attacked and all but wiped them out.

The few hundred who survived returned home bankrupt having lost the vast fortune they set out with. Disease, starvation, world politics, and bad leadership had ended the dream.

In 1707 after the act of union London granted nearly four hundred thousand pounds to Scotland to offset future liability towards the national debt. This was the amount they had squandered on their ill conceived dream. TENS OF MILLIONS IN TODAYS MONEY. These people had a dream it turned out to be a nightmare. "BEWARE OF THE DREAMERS" No one will be handing us millions back next time. As a foot note the Scots then went on to do rather well forging the Empire in all corners of the Globe along with their English partners . Dont let anyone try and tell you the Empire was created by the English, the Scots played an equal part including all the bad bits some people would like to forget. We all did rather well out of it "ALWAYS BETTER TOGETHER" Hitler found that out to his peril.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 7th Jan 2014, 12:24pm
Post #153

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
What a shame you don't have a vote Boots, but no matter, you will be pleased to know that this referendum is about dissolving the act of Union (1707) the Union of the Crowns will remain so Elizabeth will still be Queen of Scots just as she's the Queen of Canada.

It's nice to see that Ex pats are taking an interest in the referendum.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 7th Jan 2014, 01:12pm
Post #154

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 7th Jan 2014, 01:41pm) *
... you will be pleased to know that ... Elizabeth will still be Queen of Scots

Phew ... so I'm still in with a shout for my knighthood, or an MBE gong (but for which category; hairdressing is already taken by D. Cameron's barber) tongue.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 7th Jan 2014, 01:19pm
Post #155

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545

http://wingsoverscotland.com/another-blackout/

Conservative councillor claiming 'devo max' was offered but declined by Salmond... Really??? I seem to remember every London based party uniting against this option and it being dropped as an option due to Camerons insistence.
I've never understood the Libdems stance on this, they are (or should be) federalists and 'devo max' is one step towards it, labour as a past champion of home rule should also want it as Holyroods 'father' Donald Dewar seen devolution as a process not an event.
So as the referendum gets closer will we now see complete U turns and offers of a 'devo max' option if the people of Scotland vote no.. Can they be trusted, would you trust your house keys with the local blagger?

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 7th Jan 2014, 01:20pm
Post #156

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 7th Jan 2014, 01:29pm) *
Phew ... so I'm still in with a shout for my knighthood, or an MBE gong (but for which category; hairdressing is already taken by D. Cameron's barber) tongue.gif

Must take a lot of will power not to slit his throat though, he probably deserves it wink.gif

the MBE that is biggrin.gif

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 7th Jan 2014, 01:31pm
Post #157

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
I think Devo-Max is the best option.

We will then know that our Pensions will be paid on time.

Our TV favourites will be safe.

No need for new Passports..

The local blaggers are the SNP.

Life under them would lead to Resistance Fighters . biggrin.gif

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 7th Jan 2014, 02:00pm
Post #158

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Dylan @ 7th Jan 2014, 01:48pm) *
I think Devo-Max is the best option.

We will then know that our Pensions will be paid on time.

Our TV favourites will be safe.

No need for new Passports..

It's a pity the unionist parties didn't share you view of Devo Max.

How will we, i've recently been informed that i will have to work until i am at least 66, my wife has had the same letter meaning that Westminster has pocketed six years of her hard earned state pension...........Sorry what were you saying again about our pensions being paid on time?

Your TV favourites are safe, even if you move to the Republic of Ireland, Netherlands etc.

If the English electorate decide to leave the EU in the Tories promised referendum you will most certainly need a new passport.

Any other pearls of wisdom?

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 7th Jan 2014, 02:15pm
Post #159

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Good points, Jagz, especially the passport one. I bet little Englanders hadn't thought of that one - and they won't be issued free !

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
boots
post 7th Jan 2014, 02:18pm
Post #160

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,524
Well thank you Jacz ,,, Dylan and Tee hee. It's nice to know Elizabeth will still be with us, she has always taken her job very seriously and performs her duties well

THH. I'll put in a word for you and let her know you want that knighthood..{First time I'm talking to her)

boots rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 7th Jan 2014, 02:26pm
Post #161

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
In the event that Tomi is not offered a knighthood, he'll settle for a balaclava ! laugh.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 7th Jan 2014, 02:59pm
Post #162

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 7th Jan 2014, 02:17pm) *
It's a pity the unionist parties didn't share you view of Devo Max.

How will we, i've recently been informed that i will have to work until i am at least 66, my wife has had the same letter meaning that Westminster has pocketed six years of her hard earned state pension...........Sorry what were you saying again about our pensions being paid on time?

Your TV favourites are safe, even if you move to the Republic of Ireland, Netherlands etc.

If the English electorate decide to leave the EU in the Tories promised referendum you will most certainly need a new passport.

Any other pearls of wisdom?

In your opinion.

No facts, just assumptions and guesses as per SNP instructions. !!

--------------------

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 7th Jan 2014, 03:16pm
Post #163

Mega City Key Holder
Scottish Labour: Johann Lamont rejects devo-max option

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-...ption-1-2149370

I've been to Ireland and the Netherlands, both got the BBC. I dont watch terrestrial TV anyway i'd rather have 100 channels of crap over 5 any day wink.gif

Oh and i never needed a passport going to Ireland either.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 7th Jan 2014, 03:56pm
Post #164

Mega City Key Holder
Ah but Salmond wants to replace the BBC with the SBC and bring back the White Heather Club.

He will jam the BBC from Scotland, no more Corrie or Emerdale. Plus as far as I am concerned but Mrs. Dylan is spitting blood.

--------------------

+Quote Post
angel
post 7th Jan 2014, 04:18pm
Post #165

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (Dylan @ 7th Jan 2014, 03:13pm) *
Ah but Salmond wants to replace the BBC with the SBC and bring back the White Heather Club.

He will jam the BBC from Scotland, no more Corrie or Emerdale. Plus as far as I am concerned but Mrs. Dylan is spitting blood.

laugh.gif laugh.gif Dylan that is really funny . yes.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.