Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

> Glasgow Stutters To A Winter Standstill, 'Perfect Storm' grips city (photo special)
GG
post 8th Dec 2010, 11:34pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Business leaders, commuters and parents have been left fuming with local and national authorities after winter conditions brought almost the entire city to a standstill. Many shops, schools, museums, libraries, universities and businesses have been forced to close their doors after "a perfect storm" of bad weather effectively incapacitated Glasgow's transport system for almost 48 hours, resulting in an economic loss to the city of at least 30million. Postal sevices have also been severely affected.

Heavy-duty snowploughs had to be drafted in to clear snow and ice from major routes after ordimary ploughs were damaged by hard-packed ice which had trapped hundreds of motorists overnight in their cars as temperatures across the city fell to -15C. Meanwhile, hundreds more motorists simply abandoned their vehicles by the side of the road as motorways and A-roads jammed up under just 5cm of snow in 24 hours.

Commenting on the chaos, a spokesman for city businesses said:
"We need to understand why we still have untreated local roads preventing people from getting to work, and trains being cancelled.

Widespread closure of schools has also resulted in many parents having to stay off work to carry out unplanned childcare duties. For some businesses the impact on their turnover may be the last straw."

Making an emergency statement to the Scottish parliament, transport secretary, Stewart Stevenson, said he was ultimately responsible for the chaotic situation, and apologised to commuters for the closures and delays on many of Scotland's main routes.

Mr Stevenson said:
"On Monday morning we faced a perfect storm. A highly unusual weather system came in and this hit our transport system exceptionally hard.

The fact of the matter is that when the transport system grinds to a halt, and people are forced to spend the night in their cars, then something has clearly gone wrong. I regret this, and apologise for the failure to communicate the situation effectively to the many people affected."

In a related development, teachers have criticised Glasgow City Council for insisting that they report for work despite all city schools being closed to pupils.

Speaking on behalf of teachers, an EIS spokeswoman said:
"In an area where all schools are closed due to dangerous weather conditions, teachers should not be compelled to make their way into those empty schools to carry out work which could be undertaken just as efficiently at home.

The duty of care on the part of the council applies to teachers as employees, so councils should be urging staff to avoid travelling into schools if they have already been closed due to safety concerns."

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- GG   Glasgow Stutters To A Winter Standstill   8th Dec 2010, 11:34pm
- - GG   Photographs below show Glasgow during the latest c...   8th Dec 2010, 11:35pm
- - lindamac   I believe weather beaureaus[sorry cannot spell the...   9th Dec 2010, 01:03am
- - proudmaryhiller   I'm thinking on investing in a pair of ice ska...   9th Dec 2010, 01:16am
|- - lindamac   QUOTE (proudmaryhiller @ 9th Dec 2010, 11...   9th Dec 2010, 01:41am
- - Heather   My niece is a Nurse and one day she had to work a ...   9th Dec 2010, 02:20am
- - gerbet2   We have had 180 cm of snow in 3 days .That 's ...   9th Dec 2010, 02:33am
|- - lindamac   QUOTE (gerbet2 @ 9th Dec 2010, 12:19pm) W...   9th Dec 2010, 06:51am
- - southsider   The reason the US and Canada do an excellent job o...   9th Dec 2010, 04:03am
|- - lindamac   QUOTE (southsider @ 9th Dec 2010, 01:49pm...   9th Dec 2010, 06:14am
- - gordonmarr   An unusual event happened and has caused a lot of ...   9th Dec 2010, 05:22am
- - Toni   In agreement with Southsider. Here in south easte...   9th Dec 2010, 06:22am
- - Guest   loved the pictures - but do they not have sleds or...   9th Dec 2010, 06:45am
- - irrie   The storm was bad but here in Renfrewshire people ...   9th Dec 2010, 07:30am
- - GG   Helpfully, The Scotsman published a timeline of ev...   9th Dec 2010, 08:43am
- - captain   i stay just outside of glasgow(north east)....i ha...   9th Dec 2010, 09:30am
- - *greta*   Hi, whilst I agree this can be very annoying and h...   9th Dec 2010, 09:45am
- - bigdrew   Glasgow City Council aren't too brilliant eith...   9th Dec 2010, 09:55am
- - pedropresley   Hi everybody re the weather I think it is scandalo...   9th Dec 2010, 10:40am
- - benny   Had to laugh at your description of the gritters, ...   9th Dec 2010, 11:06am
|- - lindamac   QUOTE (benny @ 9th Dec 2010, 08:44pm) Had...   10th Dec 2010, 01:54am
- - ladihelen   Over 24 yrs ago we as a family were all involved w...   9th Dec 2010, 11:20am
- - beezzneezz1   this is all the traffic that got stuck in hawthorn...   9th Dec 2010, 12:33pm
- - nippynell   Hi People I'm still wating on the plumber t...   9th Dec 2010, 01:02pm
- - magsdevlin   I travelled into Glasgow last night to see my daug...   9th Dec 2010, 01:41pm
- - beatricemca   Just spoke with my daughter who is a nurse in Glas...   9th Dec 2010, 08:32pm
- - The Callands Rebel   Let it snow Let it snow! But not in richmond ...   9th Dec 2010, 10:31pm
- - benny   It seems that Edinburgh punters who abandoned thei...   9th Dec 2010, 11:29pm
- - GG   Benny, that's not good news at all but thanks ...   9th Dec 2010, 11:51pm
- - Rob Rattray   I truly am aghast at your weather conditions when ...   10th Dec 2010, 08:15am
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.