Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Did Tories Kill 25,000 Glaswegians?, New research points to lethal political attack
irrie
post 2nd Jan 2012, 09:12am
Post #151

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
QUOTE (GG @ 1st Jan 2012, 09:28pm) *
An interesting commentary article by Alf Young in the Scotsman, in which he postulates that when times get hard politicians lose the ability to be open and honest with the public when it comes to discussing viable solutions. Young mentions revelations which were released this week under the '30 year rule', which showed that highly influential members of Thatcher's cabinet were in favour of the 'managed decline' of northern industrial cities. Liverpool may have escaped this process but could it have been inflicted on Glasgow?

Alf Young: Open and honest in 2012? I doubt it
http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/arts-blo...bt_it_1_2031729

GG.

As soon as i read these revelations my first thought was if they were thinking of doing this to an English city albeit a northern one what on earth were they prepared to do in Glasgow.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 2nd Jan 2012, 05:49pm
Post #152

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
... Things are already bad enough. Reading the latest Lloyds TSB Business Monitor of Scotland’s economic prospects, entering 2012 is a bit like reaching for the ice-pack and the Irn-Bru 24 hours before the bells rather than the other way around ...

Wow!
That bad? unsure.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 3rd Jan 2012, 06:05am
Post #153

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
I note that Angela Merkel said that things would get worse this coming year. Either she was being very honest about it or she wants her government to take control of Europe's finance. I believe the Mark has been reprinted as well in a just in case scenario should the Euro collapse. Hardly a defence of the currency and a very dangerous retreat to narrow nationalistic protectionism.

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 23rd Jan 2012, 06:18pm
Post #154

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
I read on the BBC website today that poor Glaswegians suffer from poor health before they are even born because it is in our DNA!!

+Quote Post
dondon
post 23rd Jan 2012, 07:33pm
Post #155

Super Visitor
Member No.: 12,277
Never mind Scotsman, we'll blame the tories for creating DNA and giving us faulty ones.

+Quote Post
dondon
post 23rd Jan 2012, 07:38pm
Post #156

Super Visitor
QUOTE (tamhickey @ 3rd Jan 2012, 05:21am) *
I note that Angela Merkel said that things would get worse this coming year. Either she was being very honest about it or she wants her government to take control of Europe's finance. I believe the Mark has been reprinted as well in a just in case scenario should the Euro collapse. Hardly a defence of the currency and a very dangerous retreat to narrow nationalistic protectionism.

Are the tories reprinting them in Glasgow or are we blaming the tories for the germans printing marks in a wee hut doon the back of Buchanan St

This fairytale has been out on the net for ages, have you any proof or are you just taking this fanciful tale as gospel

Maybe THH bought a huge surplus stock of paper and ink from Munich's MARKS and Spencers and he's planning a putsch in a bier keller very soon, THH hiv you grown a moustache and acquired a big barking alsation dug.

+Quote Post
GG
post 23rd Jan 2012, 10:25pm
Post #157

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 23rd Jan 2012, 05:34pm) *
I read on the BBC website today that poor Glaswegians suffer from poor health before they are even born because it is in our DNA!!

Scotsman, I had a quick look at the journal article behind this story, and have to say that the findings are not particularly startling to the non-epigeneticist (most of us). The main conclusion of the research, that there is "an association between epigenetic status and socio-economic status". This has been known for some time; assumed for a long time.

Basically, the factors determining potential ill-health are likely to be heritable, i.e. passed on between generations via 'in-womb programming' of the developing human. This makes sense to the lay person, as poverty and deprivation have detrimental effects on the physical and mental health and well-being of the mother during pregnancy, leading to 'less than perfect' development of the human foetus. In addition, environmental factors associated with low socio-economic status will compound potentially negative development, e.g disturbed sleep patterns, bad housing, anti-social communities, etc.. It's a horrible cycle that is hard to break without sustained, effective intervention.

DNA shows link to ill health in Glasgow
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-16680730

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 24th Jan 2012, 09:31am
Post #158

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (dondon @ 23rd Jan 2012, 06:54pm) *
Maybe THH bought a huge surplus stock of paper and ink from Munich's MARKS and Spencers and he's planning a putsch in a bier keller very soon, THH hiv you grown a moustache and acquired a big barking alsation dug.

Shaved the moustache aff when it started to go grey tongue.gif
As for the big alsation dug, I used to have a German Shepherd who's granny was a wolf crossed with a German Shepherd, no' wan o' they nancy alsations frae across the border, but still an aw you know how it is when there's a quarter somethin' else in ye over here. unsure.gif
But I had a Norwegian Forest Cat who chased dugs and he was a pure breed. laugh.gif
As for the D.Mark; and you can check this oot, there are still billions of them out there (probably under old ladies mattresses, piggy banks or Swiss vaults) that were never exchanged for s and are still accepted by the (German) banks (but only by the banks) in exchange even today.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
dondon
post 24th Jan 2012, 11:44pm
Post #159

Super Visitor
Ah did reply to you THH but someone has nicked it, ah'm getting worried in case you lot over there are trying to sabotage our free speech.
When you mentioned a wolf ah got a bit wurried thinking aboot some guy wae puir deid mental heid banging ideas in big hidey holes in the mountains but surely your no that rich, you wurnae a traffic warden in Birmingham before Germany.
Come on oot wae it, you hiv got the reichstag marks aw stashed in your loft hivint ye. It's no true about everything coming back into fashion, it don't work that way wae money.
You couldnae even stay on the QT wae it, you just had to tell someone and that Angela Merkel burd, or Angie Mental as ah telt ye she wis, Aye the wan you pulled doon the Bier Keller when ah telt ye it was better to hiv failed than tried, wid ye believe me, anyway she has grassed you up to Tam Hickey.
Hiv you tried ebay, get in quick on the novelty, Marks for sales before the EU collapses and the Germans bring oot the peso.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 25th Jan 2012, 12:03am
Post #160

Mega City Key Holder
Ah still have a Deutschmark coin which I use in the shoppin' trollies (the 1 coin is a bit thicker and people report me for wreckin' the trolley tae get it back oot) and a wee while ago I found two 100 Mark notes in Chapter Two of Harry Potter Book Two (put there so I wouldn't forget where ma wee stash was ... and did laugh.gif ) but I'll have to seriously tidy ma Keller oot before I invite Angie doon there.
Tories wid have tae come over here tae learn aboot big dugs ... etc. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dondon
post 25th Jan 2012, 12:26am
Post #161

Super Visitor
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 24th Jan 2012, 11:19pm) *
Ah still have a Deutschmark coin which I use in the shoppin' trollies (the 1 coin is a bit thicker and people report me for wreckin' the trolley tae get it back oot) and a wee while ago I found two 100 Mark notes in Chapter Two of Harry Potter Book Two (put there so I wouldn't forget where ma wee stash was ... and did laugh.gif ) but I'll have to seriously tidy ma Keller oot before I invite Angie doon there.
Tories wid have tae come over here tae learn aboot big dugs ... etc. rolleyes.gif

Hiv to admit we done aw hamburg wae single shillings, nuddy clubs wur dirt cheap but me and the mate got blootered and our wives got seeing nuddies on the cheap. five pences fitted everything including fruit machines, thery got claened ouit and we were loaded with every fag available and aw the lager. it was a good night

+Quote Post
wombat
post 25th Jan 2012, 12:37am
Post #162

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
dry.gif they bliddy german shepherds urr a menace?wis painting a hoose and the owners daughters boyfriend ( a cop) turned up wie rin tin tin in his car,they left the dug ootside while they sat inside in front of the air con,watchin me wurkin thru their 2 way windaes, wisny long fore the dug wis hingin aound sniffin(musta smelt grass oan me rolleyes.gif ) so ah told it tae P off while i painted this big concrete watter tank,next thing this bliddy dugs behind me an hes humpin my leg B)while this lot laffed their ass off at rin tin tins antics (i cood hear )so ah moved tae the blind side of the hoose and gave him a wee tap wie a 6inch paintbrush a lovely chatreuse color it wis,cop went mental when he seen his dug.sorry ramblin a bit your fault tee hee.

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
GG
post 25th Jan 2012, 01:32am
Post #163

Administrator
Group Icon
Waaaayyyy off-topic here!

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 25th Jan 2012, 09:20am
Post #164

Administrator
Group Icon
An editorial from the Scotsman regarding the recently-published research which shows that children born in Glasgow's poor areas are more susceptible to illness in later life. Though the editor makes the general point of the research findings, he is quick to point out – as most Conservative (and other) politicians do – that it is the lifestyle choices that poor people make which are important too.

Quite whether the Scotsman editor was actually born in a deprived area of Glasgow is unclear, although he appears to claim this from the start:

Doomed to an impaired life before we are even born? This would seem the depressing conclusion of research by the University of Glasgow’s College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences and the Glasgow Centre for Population Health, after studying blood samples of people across deprived and affluent areas of the city.

The broad conclusions have long been suspected: those born in Glasgow’s most deprived areas are more likely to have an increased chance of developing diabetes and cardiovascular disease later in life as part of their DNA. What the research does is to set out this process in the most stark terms. The researchers believe that the stressful conditions experienced by expectant mothers in areas of deprivation cause “bugs” to develop in the DNA of their offspring, with those children more susceptible to such conditions as coronary heart disease as a result. The work helps explain the persistence of low life-expectancy figures in areas of Glasgow with high deprivation scores. ...

Full editorial here:
http://www.scotsman.com/news/cartoon/leade...s_too_1_2073374

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 25th Jan 2012, 09:32am
Post #165

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (GG @ 25th Jan 2012, 12:48am) *
Waaaayyyy off-topic here!

GG.

Blame me ... I'm used tae it. wink.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.