Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Cinemas - Memories Wanted!, 100 years of Glasgow cinema
kizzy
post 27th Aug 2014, 09:14am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,497
Hi I am part of a project looking for glasgow cinema goers from the 30s 40s 50s 60s and 70s. Do you have great memories of going to the old cinemas like govanhill picture house and many others all over the city? Would you like to share them for part of an exhibition for 2015 Glasgow Film Festival? You would need to live in Glasgow as we would like to talk to you in person and possibly record your stories on tape for the exhibit. If you or anyone you know could help then please get in touch. Many thanks!!!!

Kirsty
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 7th Sep 2014, 04:35am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
Well!! In Springburn We went to the Wellfield, Later called The Astor, The Princes, in Gourley St. The Kinema ("The Coffin) Springburn Road. The ??? (Having a senior moment) Keppochhill Road Burned down.

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 2nd Jan 2015, 08:52pm
Post #3

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
can help with 50s 60s and 70s in the Bridgeton area if thats any use to you.,be glad to help

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 14th Jan 2015, 09:49am
Post #4

QUOTE (kizzy @ 27th Aug 2014, 09:31am) *
Hi I am part of a project looking for glasgow cinema goers from the 30s 40s 50s 60s and 70s. Do you have great memories of going to the old cinemas like govanhill picture house and many others all over the city? Would you like to share them for part of an exhibition for 2015 Glasgow Film Festival? You would need to live in Glasgow as we would like to talk to you in person and possibly record your stories on tape for the exhibit. If you or anyone you know could help then please get in touch. Many thanks!!!!

Kirsty

1950- 1957. Guvin . Ra lyceum, Plaza ( "we are the Minors of the A.B.C.") The Elder and the Vogue. I even went overseas tae Partick on occasions in the fare holidaes when having exhausted the offerings in Guvin. Big part of my young life as I lived two streets away from the Lyceum and the Elder and 5 min. walk from the Plaza.

The Vouge was an expedition, taking all of 15 min. to get there. We used tae scrape cadge an cajoal the 9 pence it cost tae get in tae the matinees. Chop fire wid at tuppence a bundle, seek oot bottles fur the deposit, oanything tae keep us going tae the movies. Remember nae T.V. nae money the pictchurs was every thing. In the darkness and the flickering light all the bad and sorry things were dissolved for few pennies in a way no other dream world could compete with.

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 31st Jan 2015, 11:18am
Post #5

Lord Provost
The Olympia Bridgeton Cross. lovely hall
The Kings, still standing was a gym hall and roller skating rink before becoming a cinema in the 30s... Edward G Robinson visited it while here during WW2.... The Arcadia London road.. not nearly as nice as the Olympia and cheaper.. now long gone.... The Royal Main st Bridgeton. dont think I was ever in it... wee fleapit Ive heard as was the Geggie on kilpatrick street. but great fun cheap and cheerful, they let us in to see X films as weans.... The Orient on Gallowgate, enormous inside and my mother was at the opening night, watching a Stan and Ollie film.. they were all given special programmes that night.... The Scotia at Millerston street .The Plaza off Dalmarncock road. loads of cinemas.. but only the Kings and the Olympia still stand. the rest all gone sadly.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 31st Jan 2015, 09:50pm
Post #6

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
I had my first fag in the Orient when I was 14. I wagged school (the one and only time in my life I did that) me and Georgie Mc Aleer,she bought 5 Capstans,I took a couple of drags,thought the Orient was like the house in Kansas,and had to run outside to throw up.I loved the Orient for they seemed to be the only picture hall that showed the latest Tony Curtis films in the 50`s,so happy memories of that hall.

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 31st Jan 2015, 09:54pm
Post #7

Lord Provost
funny how you remember what films you watched in each picture hall.. I saw The Black Knight with Alan Ladd in there and some Errol Flynn films... does anyone remember the bouncing ball songs they started in the late 50s like in the olden days... I remember Green Door with Frankie Vaughan being one.. we all sang along hahahaha. great memories... a loved the wee fairytale hooses at the sides of the stage and does anyone remember the big wooden art deco woman on the staircase with the ball light in her hands... I wonder what happened to that..

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 11th Feb 2015, 10:57am
Post #8

What is the information you are seeking Kizzy? I don't expect it would be anecdotal as this, although this being advantageous to social study, would tend to be bogged down in reminiscence and emotive interpretation of what to me as an aficionado of the cinema, as were all in Govan, around the early 50s, is a most worthwhile endeavour of an historical nature.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 11th Feb 2015, 10:23pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Check fellow member 'Norrie' on here...tons of info and pics I would imagine....I also think there's already a thread on here regarding Glasgow Cinemas.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 11th Feb 2015, 10:30pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
The thread is called 'Cinemas in Glasgow'...do you remember these......Good Luck

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.