Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kerelaw School Ayrshire, Plush'est List'd' schools
Mcbamm
post 29th Jul 2003, 03:44pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 143
Has any one else had the privillage of being educated at one of the country's plush'est List'd' schools biggrin.gif

I was there 86-88, would like to hear from anybody else who was there at any time.

Chris.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
beezzneezz1
post 20th Jun 2009, 11:09pm
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 6,906
hi, i was at kerlaw at that time , thats me just come across this post , hated that place but so did everyone else who was there i suppose.... if anyone wants a wee chat and compair notes then post me dry.gif

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 23rd Jun 2009, 09:56am
Post #3

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
QUOTE (Mcbamm @ 29th Jul 2003, 12:01pm) *
Has any one else had the privillage of being educated at one of the country's plush'est List'd' schools biggrin.gif

I was there 86-88, would like to hear from anybody else who was there at any time.

Chris.

Hi, l just came across your thread about Kerelaw,l wasn't educated there, but l was a pupil of the school that came before it. I'll explain...........
It was back in 1965, l was sent to Mossbank Approved School which was in Millerston, l was there for almost a year. During the summer of 1966, the whole school was taken down to an old mansion house in Stevenson, the name of it was Kerelaw House. We were there for the month of July. After l got out on licence in September of 66, the Corporation started work on building a new school on the grounds of Kerelaw.
The teachers who were at Mossbank did transfer down there, but the one who sticks in my mind the most was Mr. Torrance. I think he maybe even became the governor, I was making some deliveries in the area back around 72 and stopped in to visit. Compared to the old Mossbank School, Kerelaw was a palace.
Anyhow, l have rambled on enough,if anyone else was in Mossbank in the mid 60s reads this, get in touch with me.Thanks.
Foxy

+Quote Post
crazydiamond1962
post 21st Feb 2010, 08:07pm
Post #4

Settling In
Member No.: 7,346
we left glasgow when i was 7yrs old to live in saltcoats in 1969 i think it was. we met some kerelaw boys at auchenharvie swimming pool in the mid 70's 75-78 we went to school there then we hade to move to england. the boys followed us down then we didn't see them again. i am on facebook asking if anyone know what has happened since then. wee sid, brian fisher,momo, doojy, jimmy riggins from shotts

+Quote Post
*jeff hamilton*
post 9th Sep 2010, 08:53am
Post #5

QUOTE (crazydiamond1962 @ 21st Feb 2010, 09:09pm) *
we left glasgow when i was 7yrs old to live in saltcoats in 1969 i think it was. we met some kerelaw boys at auchenharvie swimming pool in the mid 70's 75-78 we went to school there then we hade to move to england. the boys followed us down then we didn't see them again. i am on facebook asking if anyone know what has happened since then. wee sid, brian fisher,momo, doojy, jimmy riggins from shotts

Hi I was there 75-78 names do not ring a bell, of course it was that long ago now, hard now to remember after all around 100 boys at one time, P was in Millerston unit, glad to leave the bloody place!

+Quote Post
james.tc
post 4th Oct 2010, 12:42am
Post #6

Special Visitor
Member No.: 95
never went there but just of interest i walk past there all the time and theres nothing left but a few roads and its now just waste land. wonder how they got permission to demolish the old mansion house?

--------------------
todays gonna be a good day

+Quote Post
**selina**
post 30th Apr 2011, 12:33am
Post #7

Hi there l came across this thread and l was also a resident of kerelaw l was in beard unit think l may know you chris where you in millerston unit think that was it any way would like to talk more contact info is skelly78@live.co.uk .

+Quote Post
*alan leishman*
post 24th Jun 2011, 03:13am
Post #8

hi there, my names alan leishman from the gorbals and i was sent to mossbank way back in1958, i was 9yrs old at the time i spent 3yrs there then they sent me to a new school in kilmalcom balrossie there were four of us from the south side manny cohen pat magiur and john croal. does anyone remember us?

+Quote Post
*Bill R*
post 27th Sep 2011, 06:58am
Post #9

QUOTE (alan leishman @ 24th Jun 2011, 03:59am) *
hi there, my names alan leishman from the gorbals and i was sent to mossbank way back in1958, i was 9yrs old at the time i spent 3yrs there then they sent me to a new school in kilmalcom balrossie there were four of us from the south side manny cohen pat magiur and john croal. does anyone remember us?

hi,
jeez i remember mossbank, i was there for appx two years from around 1956 to 58. it was a creepy ol' place at night especially walking up one of the two lanes from cumbernauld road the place was run at that time by a mr wilson and i also remember mr torrence. one boy i remember was willie smith, i beleive he came from around the plantaion district of glasgow.

the woodwork teacher (forget his name) i remember he used to play tunes on a saw. and i learned to repair shoes. memories that was way back 54 years. how time flies eh!

Bill

+Quote Post
*gordon edwardson*
post 14th Oct 2012, 02:44pm
Post #10

spent 11 months at mossbank mr torrance was dep govnr(strange little dude with the heat treatment lamp) jimmy shands sister was the nurse.the place was creepy.tennis with a big wooden bat them were the days 1969.it was not the summer of love?.liked the fitba kit old motherwell strip.norrie mcqeen a young jimmy greaves,smudger from yoker,tony from easterhouse and a one armed boy from partick what a mix,i was 13 learned a lot in there.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 4th Dec 2012, 07:38pm
Post #11

QUOTE (Foxy52 @ 23rd Jun 2009, 10:13am) *
Hi, l just came across your thread about Kerelaw,l wasn't educated there, but l was a pupil of the school that came before it. I'll explain...........
It was back in 1965, l was sent to Mossbank Approved School which was in Millerston, l was there for almost a year. During the summer of 1966, the whole school was taken down to an old mansion house in Stevenson, the name of it was Kerelaw House. We were there for the month of July. After l got out on licence in September of 66, the Corporation started work on building a new school on the grounds of Kerelaw.
The teachers who were at Mossbank did transfer down there, but the one who sticks in my mind the most was Mr. Torrance. I think he maybe even became the governor, I was making some deliveries in the area back around 72 and stopped in to visit. Compared to the old Mossbank School, Kerelaw was a palace.
Anyhow, l have rambled on enough,if anyone else was in Mossbank in the mid 60s reads this, get in touch with me.Thanks.
Foxy

hi i just noticed your post i didnt attend mossbank but my dad did in the 60s and i did meet george torrance was wondering if you knew where i could get photos of the old school thanks

+Quote Post
vicki1975
post 4th Dec 2012, 09:25pm
Post #12

Unpacking
Member No.: 16,948
my dad went to school at mossbank industrial school millerston in the mid 60s if anyone else went there at that time please get in touch thanks

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 5th Dec 2012, 10:48am
Post #13

Super Lord Provost
Hi all, Somewhere in the photo gallery of this site there are a couple of pictures of the school.There is also a picture of the United Free Church on Cumbernauld Road where they used to take us on Sundays, dressed in our best uniforms of black blazer, white shirt and brown corduroys. I kid you not!Even in church we couldn't stay out of trouble. I can remember a few names of the guys who were in there the same time as me, but l won't name them unless l hear from them that it is ok to do so.
As to the teachers, l remember names such as mr Ray the black teacher who had an obsession about the rhubarb fields next to us, When the rhubarb was ready for picking and about 5-6 feet tall the whole school would go in and hide.He would his wee duster trying to get us out. There was another teacher who was forever handing out points during the week for any small infraction of the rules. If you total 10 points or more you didn't get to go home on the Saturday. He passed away in his cottage one Friday night, everybody got to go home that weekend.
Mr Scanlon was the wood shop/metal shop teacher, while l was there we built 3 small sail boats that were given to the corporation parks dept. at Hogganfield Loch, not for our use though. They were still using them 6 years later on the loch, long after Mossbank closed its doors and moved to Kerelaw House.
Cheers
Foxy

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 5th Dec 2012, 10:25pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
foxy you bad little rascal tongue.gif had the sausages on sunday tottie scones soda scones and clootie dumpling all home made smashing
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 5th Dec 2012, 11:16pm
Post #15

Super Lord Provost
Everyone on Keppochhill Road would agree with you there Possilboy, my brother and l were the original wee swines. Glad you enjoyed the sausage,
l just made another 5 pounds today, the wife makes tattie scones, bridies, etc. She has her own page on Facebook, The Kilted Chef MI. Need to get some more orders.
Cheers
Foxy

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.