Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Castlemilk, the good ole days
Macky
post 22nd Aug 2008, 02:17am
Post #31

Unpacking
Member No.: 913
high there i remember the delargys from dougrie st they sayed no 7 i stayed no 3 in my close was the mcnultys wylies and smiths dougrie was a great place growing up used to play football in the front and go out the back to play golf and play tennis of the wall i went to castleton 1967-74 then glenwood 1974-78
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
joycewilson
post 14th Oct 2008, 05:48pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,109
Hi All, Just Had A Read Back At All The Memories. I Was Brought Up In Tormusk Overlooking St Bart Chapel Overlooking Kyle Square. Am Now In Rutherglen xxxxxxx

+Quote Post
bluezcat
post 14th Aug 2009, 08:33pm
Post #33

Settling In
Member No.: 7,342
QUOTE (auchenshuggle @ 19th Feb 2008, 09:58pm) *
hiya all. i remember coming to "the milk" from the gallowgate when i was about 5. we used to stay in the sarry heid buildings, where the wifies would watch the weans playing while sitting on sentry duty at each end of the back to keep anybody that didni belang there oot. watching all the drunks coming oot the sarry heid and going ower tae the barras fur the jigging. anyway we moved upto castlemilk and landed in downcraig road number 39. i went to netherton primary, old mrs kirkland the headie, the old witch. we used to cut through the woods at the side of st maggys to cross the carmunnock rd to get to school, if you were brave enough to not get caught by old skelly eyes. (the bogey man) i remember when they were building the "new houses" at ardencraig crescent, that was a big playground for the weans, and some adults. after downcraig we went to glenacre drive, then onto glenwood secondary, where they succeeded in making me even mare stupider, still it kept them happy. dogging it to go swimming helped take the edge off it but, in the front gate and oot the back gate and up the ressys fur a swim, get a number 14 bus ootside the school up tae the terminus cut through the farm to carmunnock and up the lane towards east kilbride and into the reserviors for s swim . great fun. another trip fur swimming was waterfoot, that was like the canterbury tales when we done that trip. andersons hole in busby was quite good annaw. we left the milk and moved to e.k., then i moved doon to london where ive been for 28 years.

+Quote Post
bluezcat
post 14th Aug 2009, 08:53pm
Post #34

Settling In
Auchenshuggle i'm intrigued, i'd love to know who you are. I lived at 39 Downcraig Rd in the 60's and early 70's and i can remember almost all the people up the close. On the top floor was Sandra and Lynne cummings and opposite was Alan,Evelyn and Stephen Smith. Next floor down was more Smiths, Gordon, Ian and twins Christine and Jeanette. Opp them was (i think) an old man McGinty who chopped sticks on the landing for firewood. Next down was Alan, Ann and Carole McKechnie and opp them was (i think) Robert Hart,and on the ground floor was Alan and Brian McClune and opp them for a time was the more twins, Steven and Anthony Brannan. I went to Netherton and i remember Miss Kirkland, if she was teaching today she'd get done for child abuse She was terrifying. I don't remember her being head while i was there though , our headie was Mr Nichol.

+Quote Post
bluezcat
post 14th Aug 2009, 08:57pm
Post #35

Settling In
Auchenshuggle i'm intrigued, i'd love to know who you are. I lived at 39 Downcraig Rd in the 60's and early 70's and i can remember almost all the people up the close. On the top floor was Sandra and Lynne cummings and opposite was Alan,Evelyn and Stephen Smith. Next floor down was more Smiths, Gordon, Ian and twins Christine and Jeanette. Opp them was (i think) an old man McGinty who chopped sticks on the landing for firewood. Next down was Alan, Ann and Carole McKechnie and opp them was (i think) Robert Hart,and on the ground floor was Alan and Brian McClune and opp them for a time was the more twins, Steven and Anthony Brannan. I went to Netherton and i remember Miss Kirkland, if she was teaching today she'd get done for child abuse She was terrifying. I don't remember her being head while i was there though , our headie was Mr Nichol.

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 15th Aug 2009, 12:38pm
Post #36

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
All of you castlemilk folk, do any of you know the cairns family who lived on barlia dr. Four boys, Davie, james, malcolm and edward. would love to get in touch with them . They are my cousins.....Andy

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 15th Aug 2009, 02:26pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
QUOTE (andypisces @ 15th Aug 2009, 12:55pm) *
All of you castlemilk folk, do any of you know the cairns family who lived on barlia dr. Four boys, Davie, james, malcolm and edward. would love to get in touch with them . They are my cousins.....Andy
hi andy did you know gerry finnie a talked to him on friends reunited he is still a butcher he used to go out way ma pal maggie mcglauchlin from dunigoil terr

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
auchenshuggle
post 15th Aug 2009, 07:38pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,409
QUOTE (bluezcat @ 14th Aug 2009, 09:14pm) *

aye hello bluezcat, i`m wan o the smiths, ian tae be exact. aye it wis a rerr terr living in downcraig rd. yir right aboot old mrs kirkland, the old bugger, i think she usedti be mates wi myra hinley tongue.gif naw seriously she used to be a really good laxative fur the weans. dae ye remember going ti the shops next ti netherton and getting a big bag o cooking chocolate and scoffing it aw doon an nearly boaking it aw back up again? a hope naebody`s having there tea jist noo, if yi ur i`m sorry sad.gif well that`s enuff frae me the noo, howzitgaun your end bluezcat , been on the tiles lately ha ha.

--------------------
i saw a coo upon a hill its no there noo it mustve vanished.

+Quote Post
stratson
post 16th Aug 2009, 08:57am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Was Sandra Commings Dad's name Jimmy, right now don't remember her Mum's name??
If so I visited to see the new house way back in the 50's I remember their daughter had auburn hair, would be interested to hear about her parents. Don't recall other children. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
joycewilson
post 16th Aug 2009, 03:35pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,109
Good to have a read of this thread and the memories of Castlemilk.
I remember the shops at Machrie well too, you had to go to Saunders shop to get a school tie.
I was brought up in Tormusk Road, went to Braeside then Glenwood.
I had friends from Machrie Joy Black lived in the T close right across the road from the shops, also was friends with karoline Gibson she was from machrie Drive, still in touch with both of them.
Lynn Flemming lived above me and I have also managed to get in touch with her too.
My older brother John (Wilkie) was two years above me at school.
I have three sisters Janette, Grace and Norma, two brothers Charles and John anyone remember us? smile.gif

+Quote Post
auchenshuggle
post 16th Aug 2009, 08:34pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,409
QUOTE (stratson @ 16th Aug 2009, 09:14am) *
If so I visited to see the new house way back in the 50's I remember their daughter had auburn hair, would be interested to hear about her parents. Don't recall other children. smile.gif

hello stratson, i canny remember the cumming`s first names, it wis always mr,&mrs cummings, i remember she always asked us ti get her fags frae the van, fling the monet oot the windae wrapped up in a wee bit paper. pity i couldny huv thrown the fags back the same way, instead o running up aw the stairs but never mind. still disni help yi oot, but i was only a wean honest i didni mean it. wink.gif

--------------------
i saw a coo upon a hill its no there noo it mustve vanished.

+Quote Post
elso
post 17th Aug 2009, 07:00pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,459
Do"s anyone remember the Dplans that lived in 123 Barlia Drive(road,or st) they where my cousins,my Auntie Died really young leaving my Uncle to bring up 6 kids and done a Brilliant job

+Quote Post
bluezcat
post 17th Aug 2009, 08:40pm
Post #43

Settling In
QUOTE (auchenshuggle @ 15th Aug 2009, 08:55pm) *
aye hello bluezcat, i`m wan o the smiths, ian tae be exact. aye it wis a rerr terr living in downcraig rd. yir right aboot old mrs kirkland, the old bugger, i think she usedti be mates wi myra hinley tongue.gif naw seriously she used to be a really good laxative fur the weans. dae ye remember going ti the shops next ti netherton and getting a big bag o cooking chocolate and scoffing it aw doon an nearly boaking it aw back up again? a hope naebody`s having there tea jist noo, if yi ur i`m sorry sad.gif well that`s enuff frae me the noo, howzitgaun your end bluezcat , been on the tiles lately ha ha.

Hi Ian I'm laughing at the cooking chocolate!! I remember you . I remember your sisters better as they were more my age . Yes Kirkland was a right old witch, seriously scary to a five yr old. She would have been maybe 50 at the time but to me she was more like 80. No teacher today would be allowed to terrorise the kids the way she did, and that was without using corporal punishment. I can also remember going to Waterfoot, a big gang of us, with a bottle of ginger and some jam pieces. Also went to school the same route as you thru the woods and then thru the little gap in the bushes and running down to cross Carmunnock Road. I remember playing in the grounds of Maggie Mary's, sledging down the big hill next to the woods, going up the Cathkin Braes in the summer hols when there was different shows on everyday for the kids. Do you remember thr old guy chopping sticks on the landing? I think he was called McGinty. I went to Glenwood too, for a year, then we moved away from Glasgow and i have a very good memory from my time there but, try as i might, i can't remember another school called the Grange. Maybe my memory's playing tricks.

+Quote Post
bluezcat
post 17th Aug 2009, 08:46pm
Post #44

Settling In
QUOTE (stratson @ 16th Aug 2009, 10:14am) *

Hi I don't know Sandra's dads name but her mum was called Cathy. Sandra did have reddish hair and i remember her nickname was Lulu as she looked like her. There was also Lynn a few years younger than Sandra and i think there was an older daughter who was married and away from home when i lived there. I could be wrong on that tho.

+Quote Post
stratson
post 18th Aug 2009, 05:39am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
QUOTE (bluezcat @ 17th Aug 2009, 10:03pm) *
Hi I don't know Sandra's dads name but her mum was called Cathy. Sandra did have reddish hair and i remember her nickname was Lulu as she looked like her. There was also Lynn a few years younger than Sandra and i think there was an older daughter who was married and away from home when i lived there. I could be wrong on that tho.

Thanks bluezcat, your right, I recollect it was Cathy, her man's name was Jimmy. Sandra was a lovely kid, obviously Lynn would have been born after my visit. They came from Kidston Street, Jimmy was a friend of my then husband ,now deceased. Sounds like Jimmy and Cathy have passed on as the children were still residing together.
Can remember Cathy being over the moon withy her new house. How the years slip by! smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.