Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old Pals From Cadder, Its Been A Long Time
JimC
post 19th Apr 2014, 08:42pm
Post #1

Lord Provost
Member No.: 7,530
Trying to find some old pals I used to go around with back in the sixties from Cadder. Ronnie Stuart and Albert Alport both lived in Skirsa Street and Harry Donald who used to live in Hillend around where the old Glen Douglas used be. Would like to get in touch with them if anyone would know their wherabouts.
All The Very Best.
JimC

--------------------
The most important thing in communication
is to hear what isn`t being said
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 29th Apr 2014, 11:40am
Post #2

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
Hi, JimC. Are you, by any chance, Jim Christie (who lived in Vaila Street), ?

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
Marc1888
post 15th May 2014, 03:31pm
Post #3

Settling In
Member No.: 12,297
My dad came from Cadder. Had a lot of relatives up that way and still knows lots of folk to this day. His name is Harry Conaghan and his relatives were the Byrnes

QUOTE (JimC @ 19th Apr 2014, 09:59pm) *
Trying to find some old pals I used to go around with back in the sixties from Cadder. Ronnie Stuart and Albert Alport both lived in Skirsa Street and Harry Donald who used to live in Hillend around where the old Glen Douglas used be. Would like to get in touch with them if anyone would know their wherabouts.
All The Very Best.
JimC

+Quote Post
JimC
post 31st May 2014, 04:16pm
Post #4

Lord Provost
Hi Kiwi, no not Jim Christie but I did live at no. 38 Vaila St from about 1960 then moved up to Scapa St. til about 1967 then moved to Canada. We used to play football at the spare ground behind the houses but the last time I was home it was like a forest, you couldn`t even see the Halloween Pen. People I remeber on the street were Jim Coyle, John Connor, Billy Smith, Margaret McDonald and Betty Kelly, Geez thats going back a few years.
All The Very Best.
JimC

--------------------

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 1st Jun 2014, 06:35am
Post #5

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Hi JimC,

By any chance did you know a Helen Wood who came from Cadder around 1960. She used to go around with me and my mates then down in the Garscube Rd.

Hudggy

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
margie
post 1st Jun 2014, 10:26pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,901
Hudggy, Was there a cafe down gars cube road called Gizzi,s?

+Quote Post
JimC
post 2nd Jun 2014, 07:45pm
Post #7

Lord Provost
Hi Hudgie,
I cant say I remember a Helen Wood, mind you I sometimes don`t remember yesterday, did she come from Vaila Street?.
But to answere Margie`s `s question, I do remember the Cafe called Gizzies, it was accross from the Pheonix Park Swings on the other side of Garscube Rd just down from Burnside St. going towards Cowcaddens. My mother used to take us over to the cafe and have some hot peas and vinigar while she would have a macallum, do you remember what that was.

All The Very Best.
JimC

--------------------

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 3rd Jun 2014, 05:52am
Post #8

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Hi Jimc,

Cant remember what street she stayed in but Scapa St seems to ring some sort of bell same problem as you memory probs.

Hudggy

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 3rd Jun 2014, 11:08am
Post #9

City Key Holder
QUOTE (JimC @ 31st May 2014, 04:33pm) *
Hi Kiwi, no not Jim Christie but I did live at no. 38 Vaila St from about 1960 then moved up to Scapa St. til about 1967 then moved to Canada. We used to play football at the spare ground behind the houses but the last time I was home it was like a forest, you couldn`t even see the Halloween Pen. People I remeber on the street were Jim Coyle, John Connor, Billy Smith, Margaret McDonald and Betty Kelly, Geez thats going back a few years.
All The Very Best.
JimC

Hi Jim

Good to hear from you. I lived at No.3 Vaila Street (corner of Skirsa Street) from 1955 to 1963 when my sister and I left to emigrate to New Zealand. No.38 must have been further round Vaila Street.

John Christie lived opposite us but I didn't know him well, except for the fact that he played football, I think for Ayr United, but became a bit of an overnight hero when the Rangers signed him up. I don't think he lasted long with the Gers and we never heard any more news about him.

I've happy memories of living in Cadder but it was a nicer place then, with a busy little shopping area in Skirsa Street. We had good neighbours too and Mrs McCaig who lived next door kind of mothered us 3 girls until she left Cadder. When I visited there about 5 years ago, the area looked pretty run down and the shops were a disgrace but I believe all the buildings have been upgraded since then.

Cheers,
Betty

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
JimC
post 4th Jun 2014, 01:24pm
Post #10

Lord Provost
Hi Betty,
Right enough the street was a little sad looking the last time we were home about four years ago. We lived in the bottom flat and my dad used to have a really nice garden that went right to the sidewalk but they hav made most of that parking spaces now and also put doors on the entrance to the closes but I suppose thats what we call progress.
What end of Vaila St was number 3, was it round the corner from the shops or the end closer to the canal. My best friend lived in the first close coming off Skirsa St from the shops , He had two sisters, Margaret and Libby Coyle, I dont know if their names are familiar to you. Number 38 was the second last close before coming to the wee swing park as you turned the corner heading towards Skirsa St.but you are right, one hardly recognises the street now.
All The Very Best.
JimC.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 5th Jun 2014, 11:20am
Post #11

City Key Holder
Hi Jim,

Yes, No.3 Vaila Street is at the end nearest to the shops in Skirsa Street. We were on the top floor and all the windows faced to the outside of the building, which was nice. The two bedrooms and bathroom windows were on to Vaila Street and the lounge and kitchen on to Skirsa Street.

When we were re-housed there from Hinshaw Street, we thought we were moving into a palace. It was newly built and we were the first tenants. To have our own kitchen and bathroom, with hot water for the first time, was just magic. We even had a wee verandah off the lounge where my Dad grew geraniums in pots.

There was a single-decker bus which ran from the shops down to Maryhill Road and I went from there to North Kelvinside School. Before the shops were built we would walk to Lambhill and get the tram into Possilpark to do our shopping. Eventually, the trams were replaced with buses which ran right into Cadder, so we were a bit spoilt then!

Sorry, I don't recall any of the names you mentioned.

Happy memories, Jim.

Cheers,
Betty

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 5th Jun 2014, 11:23pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
does anybody remember john Rodgers he was a painter with me in the sixties we went to islay 1963 and he stayed over there with family don't know if he ever came back to cadder he stayed in the first square his father was a grave digger ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
JimC
post 6th Jun 2014, 06:38pm
Post #13

Lord Provost
Hi PB,
The name is familiar but can`t recall a face, if it was the first square that would have been Skirsa Square which ran into Vaila Street. I guess his dad wouldn`t have had too far to travel to work, the cemetary was just up the street, just off Tresta Rd. BTW, wherabouts in Possil did you live?
All The Very Best.
JimC

--------------------

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 7th Jun 2014, 01:12am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
hi jimc I came from carbeth st the last time I seen john dad he at the old Anderson grave yard digging up the old bodies getting ready for the moterway he had a jar full of gold in his shed cheers

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 7th Jun 2014, 01:13am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
jim john Rodgers was very short and wore glasses

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.