Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trying To Find Possilpark Friends, Anyone know the Murrays?
Rating 3 V
gardenqueen
post 22nd Mar 2007, 06:46pm
Post #16

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
My mum was born and brought up in Possil. It was ok then. Like many, she was rehoused in Milton in the early fifties. It must have seemed wonderful to have a back and front door of your own, a garden etc.

Anyway, Possil did go downhill over the years. I used to work in the factor's office in Bardowie Street in the late sixties, early seventies and would be sent to the Post Office in Allander Street, to buy stamps etc. I did not much like carrying money around. Now, when I go past Bardowie Street, I just don't recognise anything.

GQ
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*billy howie*
post 2nd May 2007, 07:59am
Post #17

hi my name is billy howie i left possil in 88 im 25 now my ma is liz stewart and da s billy we lived in allander st then moved to corby in england.does any1 remember us or no the stewarts or the howies rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
flam
post 6th May 2007, 02:03pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Billy Howie. I dont know if it is of any use but there used to be a Bobby Howie who stayed in 86 Sunnylaw St, and the Stewarts [Cathy,Alec Thomas Etc ]that I remember stayed in Panmure,also a Harry Stewart [Deceased]who stayed around the bottom of Sunnylaw St and Carbeth St area..Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
Avril
post 6th May 2007, 07:11pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
QUOTE (billy howie @ 2nd May 2007, 09:16 AM) *
hi my name is billy howie i left possil in 88 im 25 now my ma is liz stewart and da s billy we lived in allander st then moved to corby in england.does any1 remember us or no the stewarts or the howies rolleyes.gif

Hi Billy, There was a family of Stewarts lived on the same landing as my Granny, on the top floor (left hand side) at 73 Carbeth Street. I remember Rene Stewart, I think she was ages with my mum which would make her in her mid 80's by now! They moved to Egilsay Street, Milton in 1952.

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
*brian christie snr*
post 17th May 2007, 05:01pm
Post #20

hi billy
as you might know i am your das cousin how are you and all the family,you can give me your email address and i will pass it on to young brian.
brian.christie2@ntlworld.com.
tell all the family i was asking for them.
cheers brian

+Quote Post
flam
post 31st Jan 2008, 12:39pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Heather Clause I stayed at 86 Sunnylaw Street with my mother and four other brothers,when you said you stayed at number 52,would Maggie McNair be staying there at the time also Dunky Shields and Irene "Lucky " Lennox, the lads used to play football on the square and the bus terminus Numbers 38/42 was at the botom end of Sunnylaw St next to Carbeth St. Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
*gordon m*
post 22nd Apr 2008, 06:43pm
Post #22

i lived at 78 sunnylaw st then moved to 43 we stayed above an old man who was a bit of nutcase you may remember him he used to walk along saracen st with his wee dog and a couple of black bags. I went to the old saracen primary which is now empty and then to possil sec. I mind the old chiaris one big guy one skinny guy mcaffertys, andys shop in sunnylaw st and wee andys butchers next door.there were some characters i mind a guy called Frank Silverblade he was a one off. i remember the Tassies saracen st across from the chinese the Mitchells in balglas st Blacks Melroses conners meeks dicksons all sunnylaw st.

+Quote Post
*Lynn Skelton*
post 21st May 2008, 09:31pm
Post #23

QUOTE (gordon m @ 22nd Apr 2008, 06:50 PM) *
i lived at 78 sunnylaw st then moved to 43 we stayed above an old man who was a bit of nutcase you may remember him he used to walk along saracen st with his wee dog and a couple of black bags. I went to the old saracen primary which is now empty and then to possil sec. I mind the old chiaris one big guy one skinny guy mcaffertys, andys shop in sunnylaw st and wee andys butchers next door.there were some characters i mind a guy called Frank Silverblade he was a one off. i remember the Tassies saracen st across from the chinese the Mitchells in balglas st Blacks Melroses conners meeks dicksons all sunnylaw st.

I'm presuming you lived at 78 Sunnylaw St much later than the 1950's - I'm doing some family history and find the name of a Thomas Dale who registered his Mother's Death in 1950 living at the same address - it would be a miracle if you knew of him. But what a coincidence............

+Quote Post
flam
post 27th May 2008, 06:42pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Hi All The people i remember staying at 78 Sunnylaw St,where the McVeys/Frank Silverblade and his partner Helen/the Murphy,s/Rae,s Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
sandra rogers
post 16th Jun 2008, 03:25pm
Post #25

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,787
DOES ANYONE KNOW JAMES MCGOLDRICK BORN 1938/9? IN POSSILPARK? PLEASE E-MAIL ME ON SANDRAFOWLE@MSN.COM

+Quote Post
*Joann Fraher*
post 20th Jun 2008, 03:22pm
Post #26

My mother Kathleen Mclean with her sisters Anne, Isabelle, Jan and Elizabeth along with her brothers David, Ian and Hughie all lived in Possil Park most likely from the 40's up until the 1980's......I am particularly interested in anyone knowing my mother during the years 1955-1957. I also grew up in Possil until 1968 when we emigrated to Canada.

Joann

+Quote Post
Dunkeld
post 3rd Aug 2008, 03:39pm
Post #27

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,903
QUOTE (flam @ 31st Jan 2008, 08:56 PM) *
Hi Heather Clause I stayed at 86 Sunnylaw Street with my mother and four other brothers,when you said you stayed at number 52,would Maggie McNair be staying there at the time also Dunky Shields and Irene "Lucky " Lennox, the lads used to play football on the square and the bus terminus Numbers 38/42 was at the botom end of Sunnylaw St next to Carbeth St. Cheers Flim

I had cousins Duncan and Thomas Shields. One of the boys, I think Duncan played football for Workington Town when he got older. I lived at Mansion ST.

+Quote Post
rainmaker_38
post 10th Feb 2009, 12:40pm
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,518
Hello, very new to this board, but does anyone remember the Blair family from the Sunnylaw Street area and what has happened to all the houses in that area......gone and not replaced

+Quote Post
flam
post 10th Feb 2009, 02:41pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Rainmaker 38 The Blairs I knew who stayed in the first square in Sunnylaw St ,where Lizzie (Mother)John,Walter,Donald,Andrew,Ina,Jane.Georgie.. Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
rainmaker_38
post 10th Feb 2009, 04:35pm
Post #30

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,518
Thanks for that Flam, i used to live in Sunnylaw Street with my Nan (Lizzie) and have great memories about the place, but i havent been back for a long time, cant believe all the houses have gone and its just waste land.

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.