Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

17 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trying To Find Possilpark Friends, Anyone know the Murrays?
Rating 3 V
*Bill Melvin*
post 21st Feb 2005, 07:32pm
Post #1

I lived at Closeburn Street, Possilpark in 1945. I am trying to locate old friends Pete Murray and James Chambers.
I would like to see photos of Possilpark then and now, and would appreciate any help you can offer. I have lived in Florida for 40 years, but still think of "Auld Possil"...........................................Bill
bm2@bellsouth.net
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
flims
post 22nd Feb 2005, 09:12am
Post #2

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,648
Hi Bill Melvin Sorry i cant help with the two friends that you seek,but here is a photo,that you may recognise from Possil , the Wall in Ashfield St of Perthshire Juniors Football Club,next to that is Possilpark Corporation Garage,the two cars that have stopped at the traffic lights sit at the Junction of Hawthorn St,if you scroll through some of the topics on this site you will see Photos that I and others have posted concerning Possilpark and surrounding areas,if you require a photo of a certain Steet i will try and get one for you Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
kmacc
post 22nd Feb 2005, 10:55am
Post #3

Resident
Member No.: 185
flim have you any pics of the high possil school?

+Quote Post
flims
post 22nd Feb 2005, 02:01pm
Post #4

Special Visitor
Hi Kmacc This is the only Photo i have of High Possil School,later known as Hodge Court,it awasctaken as it was being Demolished by Lizzie Nicholsons [Son] who have a scrapyard across from High Possil School,what i do have is a very dark and shaky video of the School,although empty it was still standing ,unfortunately i cant post it on this site Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
*Helen Heelan (McIntyre)*
post 18th Apr 2005, 06:43pm
Post #5

QUOTE (flims @ 22nd Feb 2005, 03:18 PM)
Hi Kmacc This is the only Photo i have of High Possil School,later known as Hodge Court,it awasctaken as it was being Demolished by Lizzie Nicholsons [Son] who have a scrapyard across from High Possil School,what i do have is a very dark and shaky video of the School,although empty it was still standing ,unfortunately i cant post it on this site Cheers Flim

I Lived in Possilpark and went to Possilpark school, we lived on Sunnylaw Street for years< there was Jeannie, Annie, Cathy, Mary and myself, I now live in chicago, Illinois, my e-mail is scottiescroll@sbcglobal.net I would love to hear from someone

+Quote Post
flims
post 18th Apr 2005, 09:06pm
Post #6

Special Visitor
Hi All Helen what Square did you stay in or was nearest to,what year did your family stay there in Sunnylaw St ,was it near Carbeth St , You must remember this wee shop McCafferty,s or at the other end Balglass St Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 19th Apr 2005, 11:28am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
my sister in law came from Possil her name is Isabel Mc Murrey.
Asa matter of fact her and my brother lived in possil for a wee while I dont remember the st as I was living over here at the time

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
possilgirl
post 29th Jan 2007, 02:50pm
Post #8

Visitor
Member No.: 408
Hi All
Welived in Hawthorn st across from the Fiberglass factory then moved to Mansion st Heaven an inside toilet lol ,I left possil in 1982 . Mansion st is almost all gone now well the end we lived at by the Garage Last time I was home they were building brand new houses .Happy New Year to all

+Quote Post
brian432
post 1st Feb 2007, 03:59pm
Post #9

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,340
Starting to feel homesick again. I remember buying penny caramels from McCafferty's and chips and pickled onions from Chari's chip shop a couple of doors down. I lived in the first square at 34. Learned to ride a bike going round that square, then later first driving lesson same place. I went back there in 2002 and was dissapointed that Sunnylaw st had virtually been demolished and rebuilt. Does anyone have any pictures of the squares before the "improvements". Also looking for pictures of old Sloy St, apparantly my family lived there just after I was born. Although I don't remember living there, I remember the street. The entrance to the back courts looked like the entrance to a castle in my imagination. I had friends still living in Sloy St around 1970, Al & Millie Nelson, they had three Kids John, Stan and Marie. Any way, here's a photo of high possil from another angle.

--------------------
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband!!!!!

+Quote Post
possilgirl
post 4th Feb 2007, 03:11pm
Post #10

Visitor
Member No.: 408
I lived in Mansion st my da had a pal called peter murray my dads name was Hugh O'Hara. He was orig from the cowcaddens raglan st , then he grew up in Killearn st . If this is the same peter he passed away a couple of years ago .

+Quote Post
Avril
post 5th Feb 2007, 02:20pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
QUOTE (flims @ 18th Apr 2005, 09:23 PM)
Hi All Helen what Square did you stay in or was nearest to,what year did your family stay there in Sunnylaw St ,was it near Carbeth St , You must remember this wee shop McCafferty,s or at the other end Balglass St Cheers Flim

Hi flim,

I was so depressed when I saw the photo of McCafferty's standing on it's own, what's happened to Carbeth Street (where ma granny used to live) and Bardowie Street? ohmy.gif At least they left McCafferty's alone although I don't suppose it's called that anymore! sad.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
matt.63
post 9th Feb 2007, 12:18pm
Post #12

Super Visitor
Member No.: 4,502
Hi i was born in Panmure st then moved to Allander st still remember the handy stores just across from our close worked in the saracen foundry after leaving school reading all these posts brings back such memories mellow.gif

--------------------
A man's a man for a that

+Quote Post
*Heather Clause*
post 16th Mar 2007, 05:21pm
Post #13

QUOTE (Helen Heelan (McIntyre) @ 18th Apr 2005, 07:00 PM) *
I Lived in Possilpark and went to Possilpark school, we lived on Sunnylaw Street for years< there was Jeannie, Annie, Cathy, Mary and myself, I now live in chicago, Illinois, my e-mail is scottiescroll@sbcglobal.net I would love to hear from someone

+Quote Post
*Heather Clause*
post 16th Mar 2007, 05:28pm
Post #14

I lived in Possilpark wi' my granny, my aunt, my 2 cousins and my ma, while my Da served in the US Army in Japan at the time. That must have been 1948-1950. We lived at 52 Sunnylaw Street, and I would walk up the street for penny candy, and my Da would visit on leave wi' sausage rolls & meat pies. Both my parents have passed away, and the addresses of a' my relatives went wi' them. I would love to find John & Betty MacKenna, Tommy Campbell, or wee Frankie Campbell and Maggie (reported to be livin' in Cornwa' noo.)

I swapped scraps wi' a wee lass named Jeannie who lived a few closes doon the road, but I don't remember her last name (if I ever knew it).

+Quote Post
flam
post 21st Mar 2007, 01:38pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi All..Here is a photo of Sunnylaw Street shops..Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

17 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.