Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Temple Or Temple Farm?, Lost place
*Guest*
post 28th Dec 2015, 11:44pm
Post #61

QUOTE (Guest Gordie * @ 12th Jan 2009, 07:28pm) *
Temple Farm on Crow Rd was not technically a farm.
It was a milk bottling plant. It had a dairy shop, and delivered milk to houses in a wide area by horses and carts. It had a big house and stables. The Farm was owned by James Pirie.

Two children Ann and Jim.

James also had a farm on Bearsden Rd (Switchback). close to Canniseburn Toll.

This was a real Farm with milking cows. However Pirie gathrered milk from Farms all over.

The other Farm was renrwd.

The truck driver was called Rudi, a German POW.

I moved to Temple Gardens in 1936, I was 30 days old. I grew up playing in Piries, delivering and collecting milk. The big house was bought by the Valenties, who owned the ice cream shop facing on Crow Rd. The Farm on Bearden Rd, was part of Garscube Estate, owned by Glasgow University.

The dairy in Linden St was the SCWS. Never Piries.

Jim Pirie became a professional Golfer. Gordon Moir ( formally 13 Temple Gdns).
Email Address:- Gordonchris@blueyonder.co.uk

Gordon My father was Jim Pirie who moved from Temple to Balfron, the Jim Pirie who was the golfer was the son of George Pirie at Chapelton Farm behind Kessington Hall, back then the Pirie family all worked as one.
Rudi the POW has family in bearsden .

Sandy Pirie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 3rd Jan 2016, 09:52pm
Post #62

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
QUOTE (*Stephen* @ 17th Jan 2010, 06:25pm) *
There was a farm owned by the Fulton family on the site where Temple Gardens now stands.

I lived in Temple Gardens in the 1970s and '80s and used to visit an old man called Mr Horatio Walker who lived in Hilton Gardens. He was brought up in Temple and was a mine of information about the history of the area and showed me many old photographs, documents and newspaper cuttings. It is a pity that he never wrote a book as he had enough material for one.

How do you know this and can you contact me directly please ?

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
*Derek matthew*
post 8th Jul 2016, 08:56am
Post #63

Hi Lennox

The exact place you are looking for is the first house under the railway bridge on the left heading for Milngavie switchback road
It was a small holding with horses and pigs my relation used to deliver manure to surrounding houses from the farm hope this helps feel free to get back to me

Cheers
Derek.

+Quote Post
tambowie1955
post 24th Jul 2016, 04:50pm
Post #64

Unpacking
Member No.: 33,017
QUOTE (Derek matthew @ 8th Jul 2016, 09:56am) *
Hi Lennox

The exact place you are looking for is the first house under the railway bridge on the left heading for Milngavie switchback road
It was a small holding with horses and pigs my relation used to deliver manure to surrounding houses from the farm hope this helps feel free to get back to me

Cheers
Derek.

+Quote Post
**John Wilson**
post 24th Oct 2016, 08:45pm
Post #65

Hi

The farm at Temple bridge was Buchanans Piggery.

John

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 20th Jan 2017, 12:06am
Post #66

QUOTE (818818 @ 5th Dec 2009, 12:47pm) *
My mum moved into No 3 willow st when they were built then moved to 26 hemlock street years later moved back to 9 willow st till the building was demolished
Did you know David and Alan Wilkie David was in my class at Temple Primary

Mums maiden name was Minto

I also stayed in 9 Willow Street until they were demolished.

+Quote Post
*Jean Brown*
post 23rd Jan 2017, 10:04pm
Post #67

QUOTE (Guest @ 20th Jan 2017, 12:06am) *
I also stayed in 9 Willow Street until they were demolished.

Hi I stayed at 21 linden street I was born in 1952 and stayed there till I married in 1973 ,my name was jean boggis .i think my brothers new the Wilkie boys .but I can't remember your mums name ,my mum and dad stayed there till the flats were demolished then they moved to the flats at anniesland cross.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.