Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Temple Or Temple Farm?, Lost place
scotslad90
post 11th Aug 2004, 06:00am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
brilliant picture Flim.....its excactly the same spot but I don't remember it looking that that.I just remember the farm house being there when we fed the horses so perhaps all the outbuildings were demolished in the early 90's.The farm was set back from the canal and always looked really neglected back then,I did not know it had any connection to the Vet school.....so whether this is Temple or Netherton am just not sure.....Netherton is definately on the other side of the canal and there were industrial units there....now its the site of the Next Generation Leisure Centre and masses of new apartments.On the farm side of the canal just further along the bank are more houses from the early 90's and they are on the canal bank and that was the Temple Saw Mill so the north side of the Canal seems to have been Temple..need to see if I can find any old local maps on the area.....This is the old swing bridge today.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
flim
post 11th Aug 2004, 07:39am
Post #17

Resident
Member No.: 1,315
Hi Scotslad The building i'm certain was Govenment ministry of some kind,..if you can visualise walking from the towpath side over the old bridge [ which the children used to jump off the handrails into the canal when the Sun was shining ]you would be facing a concrete slabbed wall with barbed wire,. there was a field with horses and cattle beside it,then..if you veered ninety degrees right it would take you to the railway tunnel which you spoke about in your earlier posting which passed under the railway and on to Bearsden.,you are also correct in saying that Temple had a large Sawmill,they used to store some of their timber either side ,on the towpath side of Bearsden Rd bridge,if my memory serves me well i'm sure there was a Sports ground just down from the Swing Bridge on towpath side

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 11th Aug 2004, 10:36pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Wow !! first of all All I can say is thanks to EVERYONE who has had a post on this matter, It is becoming clearer with each post that this is the same place that I have been looking for, for 30 plus years(giving my age now dry.gif ), and the sad part is I have driven by it loads of tiimes on my many trips home, going back & forth to various places.... One reason I know it is the same place now,is after seeing the posts, I contacted my Dad's wife,(and it was not easy) who is the only one how has any information in her head, but the only thing she would confirm was, the old far is now part of the road that now carries the Netherton Bridge, so it is now back to the digging and the research books, maybe I'll get lucky and find an old farm picture some place,Oh, by the way the "wife " told me that she kept the painting in her shed, till about 2 years ago, and then put it out for the rubbish men to take !!!!! What a ----- I almost bawled, I am sure she more than likley still has it but just does not want me to have it, I am thinking of placing an advert in her local paper offering a reward for it as , you never know what the rubbbish men might keep,
Again thanks to all,
Lennox

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 12th Aug 2004, 05:18am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
This little thread has set the memory wheels in motion.Its amazing how difficult it can be to remember area's in Glasgow because the changes in recent years have been so dramatic.Flim,I can recollect the playing fields at Netherton and although we bike along the tow paths a lot I am not sure they are still there.I think perhaps they were incorporated into the huge" Next Generation"complex I mentioned.I will get one of the kids to have a look once the monsoon ends.........we have had a months rain in three days this week .Tail end of Hurricane Alex.
Back to the farm again, I think I might muddy the waters here.When you mentioned that it had been part of the road that now carries the Netherton Bridge Lennox I wonder if perhaps we are at the wrong spot.In the 90's a new road bridge was put over the canal between Bearsden Rd and the pedestrian bridge we mentioned at Netherton Waters.It connects new housing which had been built where Temple Saw Mill had once been.....but I do not actually remember the saw mill at all.and it joins up with the road that today links Temple and Netherton.I have a picture here which shows the bridge in the background.Perhaps Flim will know where I am ,so perhaps there was a farm around this part of the canal as well ...its only a few minutes walk from the other farm building's.The new building and pontoon you can see here is part of the canals new look....the boat house has showers etc and the barges often anchor here at night.
Ross has some pictures taken on a biking marathon along the canal earlier in the summer I will get him to post a few will give you an idea of what the canal looks like today and how its being used.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
flim
post 12th Aug 2004, 07:38pm
Post #20

Resident
Hi Lennox we all seem to be a little confused about this farm and bridge called Temple now i know it could be one of three bridges which from first to last is only a distance of about 600 yards [1] Netherton Bridge which had a road running from Netherton Rd to Canal Bridge,vehicles could use this narrow road which ran alongside a sports ground..[2] Spencer St. Bridge which was built around 1990 and Scotslad90 took a great crisp photo of,although it's about 8 years since i've been down that way,i only recognise the bridge,this road would take you down to Fulton St,and next to Linden St/Place..and finally [3] Bearsden Rd which would take you over the Switchback Road to Maryhill Rd and Milngavie Roundabout..hope you can follow this Ha!Ha!..Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 12th Aug 2004, 11:14pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
[3]Bearsden Rd which would take you over the Switchback Road to Maryhill Rd and Milngavie Roundabout..hope you can follow this Ha!Ha!..Cheers Flim 
OK Film, this place brings to mind the road that my Granny used to tell me about she always talked about going that way home from Work, some Bottle Making place???? yes I know more confusion, any way I also remember her making me walk that way one Sunday after we had been to the Cemertry up on Boclair Drive, that was a walk that I always remember, I was only 10, and I took a long time to walk (short Legs ) any how I think the first photo that Scotslad posted seems to e to be closest to the Place that she always talked about, the reason I say this is because of the Trees & hills right in the center of the photo, ( I am guessing that is the Campsies in the back ground) I can't thank you all enough & if I started any confusion I am sorry sad.gif , but it is nice to remember things from when you were kids, ( or at least younger) BY the way Film , my Dad lived in Linden PL/St and the really funny thing is our Last name was "Fulton" (my other granddad used to tell me "your Dad comes form money, ") why am I working like a little slave then ? Joking apart I can't find any who/why "Fulton st" was named..
Time to cook , Bye all
Lennox
found this photo, would a farmer dress this way late 1900's the photo is falling apart, it is posted on to tin backing Was told it was my Ggranddad.

This post has been edited by Lennox: 13th Aug 2004, 02:05am

--------------------

+Quote Post
flim
post 13th Aug 2004, 08:26am
Post #22

Resident
Hi Scotslad..The old farm house you re-collect was that the one in the Photo i sent in,if you look closely you will see inside the other buildings an old stone house Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 18th Aug 2004, 02:39pm
Post #23

laugh.gif the farm road was at islay rd and westerton ave.it was part farm and the quarentine area for the vet school then the entrance was at other end of islay ave.if the address is correct the building is still there.i went to school across the road and lived in area all my life but redevelopment has meant alot of older properties have gone.what was your family name my maiden name was DEMPSIE.if you go to vritual mitchell pictures taken at the top of linden st at fulton st are there.

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 21st Aug 2004, 02:21pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Hello Guest, I have seen the photo from the Mitchell , of these Streets, but it does not tell me very much.
My maiden name Was Fulton.

--------------------

+Quote Post
isa
post 22nd Aug 2004, 10:07am
Post #25

Lord Provost
Member No.: 425
hya lennox,
if you go to this page it might have more info for you,
isa

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/cgi-bin/vm/...et=Canal+Bridge

--------------------
gonnae throw us doon a piece Ma

+Quote Post
jolin_71
post 6th Sep 2004, 09:31am
Post #26

Unpacking
Member No.: 105
QUOTE (Lennox @ 13th Aug 2004, 12:31 AM)
OK Film, this place brings to mind the road that my Granny used to tell me about she always talked about going that way home from Work, some Bottle Making place????

The bottle making place could have been Sloans Dairy on Fulton Street, my mother worked there around the late 30's early 40's her family lived in Willow Street just off of Fulton Steet.
Kind regards,
Linda

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 4th Oct 2006, 01:07pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Because, I saw Javamol's "Wee Hoose" thread, I thought I'd try this again,as there's a lot more people on the boards now.
I am still trying to find any extra info on Temple Farm. as I said in one of my first posts this is were my granny grew up, and she used to have a painting on her wall of the place, that I would dearly love to find..
Any way, if anyone has anything new, I'd love to hear about the place .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gordie
post 3rd Jan 2007, 06:10pm
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,274
Temple Farm, was right in Temple near the top and right on Crow Rd. It was a Dairy where they bottled milk and delivered by horse and cart.
It was between Bairds Iron Works and Galbraith Stores, and faced Valentes Ice Creaqm shop. It also had two dairy shops .
Temple Farm was owned by the Piries, who also owned the farm on the Switchback (Bearsden Rd). It bordered Garscube Estate, but was not part of the estate in these days. Then it faced on to a fruit farmk, which is now houses
The farm near Islay Ave was a isolation farm for infected cattle.
It was over a little wooden bridge and was on the bank of the canal. The farm was owned by the Gows. The only other animal farms, were piggeries, one at the top of Strathcona Dr, and one just past the big canal bridge on Beardsden Rd on the steep hil, and facing Dawsholm Park. I was born in Temple Gdns in 1936 before the war, and was raied there man and boy. I attended Temple School which is to be demolished this year 2007 after 100 years.
Sloans dairy and bottling plant was on the opositte corner od Specer St from the school. Mr Sloan lived on Great Western Rd, facing Knightswood bus garage. H

+Quote Post
maureenl
post 5th Aug 2007, 07:45pm
Post #29

Special Visitor
Member No.: 4,873
I stayed in Linden Street in Anniesland and Linden Place was just across the road it had a pub and a laundrette

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 6th Aug 2007, 01:16am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
All I can remember , Lennox Was Coming up from Anniesland Cross, As you crossed the canal bridgeThat was Temple. Our Cycle clubhouse was right on the north side of the canal before you headed up toward the switchback. Sorry that all i remember

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.