Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Temple Or Temple Farm?, Lost place
Lennox
post 28th Jul 2004, 05:36pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Ok I know this may be a long shot, but someone must remember a place called Temple Farm? all I know it was along the old switch back road going from Maryhill up into Milingavie, I am trying to find anyold photo's of that farm...... My granny lived there as a wee lassie, also in Drumchaple 12 linden Place, any info would be more than welome. I left Glasgow when I was 15yrs old , I never knew then that I could never find this information out, or I would have paid more attention to my elders wink.gif
Lennox

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
d.c.
post 28th Jul 2004, 09:03pm
Post #2

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 19
I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that Temple Farm is still there, and forms part of Glasgow University Vet School.

DC

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 28th Jul 2004, 09:26pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
If that is so any way that I could find out? All I want to do is a little family research.

--------------------

+Quote Post
d.c.
post 28th Jul 2004, 10:29pm
Post #4

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 19
I have had a look at a map of the area, but can't see Temple Farm shown. Almost all of the land between Switchback Road and Maryhill Road is Glasgow University property, known as the Garsube Estate, and currently home of the Veterinary School.

As I said, I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that Temple Farm was part of that estate. Perhaps a call to the Estates or Property Manager at Glasgow University might reveal more.

DC

+Quote Post
*Guest_isa*
post 5th Aug 2004, 03:16pm
Post #5

hello,
i hope you dont mind, but i contacted the university for you and this is what i got back.....
Dear Isa

The University did own a farm at Temple off Westerton Avenue by the canal
but it was sold to developers some time ago and to my knowledge the site has
been redeveloped for a housing estate. I hope this won't be too
disappointing for your friend.

Regards,

Hilary.

hope this helps,
isa

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 5th Aug 2004, 07:06pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
The existing farm building at the Uni Vet school is the old Garscube Estate Home Farm.Isa is right about the farm on the banks of the canal at Temple.It was off Westerton Rd,tucked in behind the railway line with access under the railway through a small tunnel,or across a pedestrian bridge on the canal which took you into Netherton in Knightswood.The farm buildings were demolished about 2000 but prior to that I think it was occupied although in a dilapidated state.There were cattle and horses in the fields facing on to the canal because my kids used to take carrots and things to feed them at the weekend.The site was cleared 3/4 years ago and i don't have any old pictures but this is one taken at the exact spot last fall.Only suggestion I can offer is that there may be voters rolls available from Bearsden somewhere.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 5th Aug 2004, 09:57pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Thank you so much for going out of your way to Help me, It's great to know just a little bit of my quest, I just wish that I was able to have this info before now, pehaps I would have been able to go to the farm myself.... As I stated my granmother lived there as a child and for years she had an old oil paiting on the wall, it wa lovely, and of course went "missing " when she died.
Thanks again
Lennox

Ps after looking at the file that was attached, in the center of the picture is a hill with a clump of trees , in my grans painting they are there also but the trees are not as big as they seem now, so this maybe the same land, thanks again

This post has been edited by Lennox: 5th Aug 2004, 10:54pm

--------------------

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 6th Aug 2004, 08:08pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
Am sorry I can't give you any more up to date information on the farm.....am still not 100% sure this is the place you were looking for but Isa'a information seems to confirm it was and she is to be congratulated for making the connection.The local library used to be Temple but its now Anniesland and they might have some old pictures of the area available.First time am down that way I will ask and see if they have anything.

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 6th Aug 2004, 11:16pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Hello, Thanks for all the time & trouble that you have taken, as I stated in my last post I think this is the same place , I looked at that painting every day of my life for years and those trees are in the same place just a lot bigger, if I can find anyonld pictures I could overlay them to see if they match up. Again thanks
Lennox

--------------------

+Quote Post
isa
post 7th Aug 2004, 08:26am
Post #10

Lord Provost
Member No.: 425
Hello Lennox,
I am glad that I could help, just sad that there is not anything there now for you to remember, but at least you noe know where it is and what happened to it,
all the best,
Isa

--------------------
gonnae throw us doon a piece Ma

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 7th Aug 2004, 04:00pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Oh ! wow ,have read this thread with a lump in my throat,and tears in my eyes,Scotslad,Isa,and DC thank you for ,taking the time to assist Lennox,I can relate to the need ,to know one's heritage !!!!

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
isa
post 7th Aug 2004, 10:18pm
Post #12

Lord Provost
Member No.: 425
nae bother, glad to have helped, I would do it for anybody,
Isa wub.gif

--------------------
gonnae throw us doon a piece Ma

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 8th Aug 2004, 03:11pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Hello, Sorry that I have not responded sooner Granddaughter (2yrs) has been here all weekend, I am really greatfull to Isa & DC & Scotslad, ( I used to Use ScotsLass on another site).. Their efforts really put me in a direction that I always thought I needed to look into, now I know for sure.
Again, Thanks to all
Lennox

--------------------

+Quote Post
flim
post 9th Aug 2004, 11:24pm
Post #14

Resident
Member No.: 1,315
Hi Lennox I dont know if this photo is of any help to you it was taken in 1991 when they where taking away the old bridge..in the photo you will see the Vet building on the right hand side,also notice an old building inside the surrounds..there used to be a bridgekeepers hut beside this building ,which i believe was run by the Government..there is now a new bridge that has been fitted ,which swings open for the vessels to pass through and as one of GG's wrote there was a small tunnel not far from these buildigs which ran under the railway..we always called this piece of land Netherton Farm..maybe it was the modern name Cheers FLIM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 10th Aug 2004, 10:29am
Post #15

Hi Lennox,

Linden Place is behind Temple Police Station.
There wasn't a Linden Place in the drum.

Kind regards,
Linda biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.