Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> City Centre Compared To War Zone, Cheap drink ruining city's reputation?
Tommy Kennedy
post 16th Feb 2010, 01:25am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 54
It's not like drink wasn't available to previous generations. So what's changed, and what needs to be changed to put things right? First that youngsters have money for booze, that previous generations of youngsters didn't.

Second, Clubs cater to the kids to get the money off them.

Third, as I've posted Liqour laws - of just a few decades ago, are not applied to the clubs/pubs; for the interests of the breweries!
Fourth, the punishment of yesterday's law; - 'Drunk and disordley; 7 days in clink and a heavy fine' Being in clink they could also lose there job.

The Establishment has no 'will' to tackle the problem

(Then of course the adult generation of auld Glesga did have some money for Fri/Saturday booze up and 'drunks' were a problem back then. But that suited the Establishment, helped to keep the poor, poor.)
What was Glasgow's song: ' I'm only a common auld working man but when I get a drink on a Seternight, Glesga belangs tae me'!

Suit back in the pawn shop on Monday!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sujay
post 16th Feb 2010, 11:25pm
Post #32

Visitor
Member No.: 7,044
Price control will not work.............. Go back 2 pubs closing earlier ..but that will not happen .2 many sweetheart deals..

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 25th Feb 2010, 07:07pm
Post #33

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
I think referring to Glasgow as a war zone will do nothing for his custom. All he is doing is scaremongering!

It is not only Glasgow that's suffering a lack of customers. I live outside Glasgow and the pubs and restaurants are suffering there. It's got nothing to do with drunks. There is a definite recession. People have even less extra cash to spend in restaurants at a time of year which is traditionally "slow". There are several hotels which I use for the occasional bar meal. Several years ago the places would be busy early evening. Now? I could be the only customer at that time of the evening on some occasions. As for drunks? The pubs and restaurants would happily allow a customer to sit all night in their premises and get drunk, so long as they paid their extensive bill. As for the supermarkets? My sons both get asked for ID regularly when they buy alcohol in the supermarkets. So what is the solution? Its got to involve education but I'm no expert in that sector.

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post
**nessie80**
post 26th Feb 2010, 04:04am
Post #34

I haven't been down town Glasgow since New years Eve 1973, as I moved to England then to Athens Greece then eventually to Cleveland Ohio so I can't compare, but it sounds not too different from when I was a teenager. Back in the early seventies you had gang territorial rivalry. I remember walking with a guy I new and a bunch of other guys "stuck the heed "in his face, for no reason as they ran past us.. This was just outside the "electic gardens" in Sauchiehall Street. Us kids back then didn't have all the drugs that the kids now have access to. I can remember getting pretty bevvied up in the Charing Cross Bar then me and "ma mate" Mag would walk up Sauchiehall Street singing and acting daft on our way to catch the number 20 late night bus to Drumchapel. I always felt safe in the city centre though. I love Glasgow and miss it terribly and when I used tae get drunk on a seturday night, Glesga belanged tae me. Like Alemass said in his comment "Let Glasgow Flourish".

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 27th Feb 2010, 02:56am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
QUOTE (Guest @ 14th Feb 2010, 06:05am) *
I think there should be a drink limit system where you go out and the first pub or resuraunt you buy alcohol in that night gives you a card and everytime you have a drink you get it stamped according to the strength of the alcohol and you only get so many spaces to use up in the one night!

Once your card is full no more drink for the rest of that night and if you have no card then you dont get any alcohol!

Fantasy and unworkable. I'll jist nip hame fur a top up and aon the way borrow my pals cards that they aint used.

The yanks tried enforced booze "rationing", if they could not hack it....

Wit ye propose is worse than Stalin at his best.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 4th Mar 2010, 09:40pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
Psst, wanna buy a Pub Card ?

Methinks Guest is being less than serious . biggrin.gif

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 8th Mar 2010, 07:38am
Post #37

I was in London for a few days last week and most pubs were charging between £3.40 to £3.65 per pint. It never stopped people drinking though so a minimum charge will have no effect on the drinking habits of most 'Jocks' up here. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
benny
post 22nd Mar 2010, 03:31pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 27th Feb 2010, 03:13am) *
. . .The yanks tried enforced booze "rationing", if they could not hack it....

Wit ye propose is worse than Stalin at his best.

Finland seems to have no problem in enforcing strict alcohol laws, and Finland has no problem with being a democracy either. All alcohol over 4.7% by volume has to be purchased from state owned stores, and photo ID issued by the police has to be produced before a purchase can be made. Yes, draconian by our standards, but if it works, why not?

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 22nd Mar 2010, 03:56pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (benny @ 22nd Mar 2010, 04:48pm) *
Finland seems to have no problem in enforcing strict alcohol laws, and Finland has no problem with being a democracy either. All alcohol over 4.7% by volume has to be purchased from state owned stores, and photo ID issued by the police has to be produced before a purchase can be made. Yes, draconian by our standards, but if it works, why not?

Does it work though? In my experience, some of the worst drinkers abroad are Finns and Norwegians. Sounds like a good scam for the state though. In my opinion, price of alcohol has little to do with anti-social drunken behaviour. Money is not a problem for the youth of, for example, Aberdeenshire. Those people are not underprivileged or socially deprived, but yet wreak havoc among decent citizens.

Where I live, a bottle of vodka, gin or rum can be had for 3.50 GBP, but the only drunks to be seen are from Baltic states.

We all know what happened with prohibition in US. Practical prohibition through excessive taxation results in the even bigger danger of DIY which, I understand from acquaintances, is rife in such countries.

The problem is not alcohol - it is cultural acceptance of moronic, self-indulgent behaviour.

Do I have the answer? I fear not, apart from separating eejits from the rest of society.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 22nd Mar 2010, 05:14pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
In Sweden the Alcohol laws are the same as in Finland; restricted, government controlled, outlets and an arm and a leg at the cashier's till.
But they still get legless ... at home, where they brew and distil their own.
Still, they're 'armless I suppose, as well as legless rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
benny
post 22nd Mar 2010, 07:50pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
I supose the Finnish laws are a bit illogical, you can get drunk on beer at 4.7% alcohol if you drink enough of it, but at least they've made a serious attempt to tackle the problem of drunken louts. I think you're probably right, Bilbo, in saying that it's more of a cultural problem than an alcohol problem. It's been regarded as acceptable behaviour in Britain for too long.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
GG
post 11th May 2010, 08:04pm
Post #42

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Apparently the restaurateur was on to something...

Police reveal nine most dangerous streets in Scotland... and they're all in Glasgow city centre
  • Sauchiehall Street
  • Hope Street
  • Buchanan Street
  • Renfield Street
  • Union Street
  • Argyle Street
  • Gordon Street
  • Jamaica Street
  • Clyde Street

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 12th May 2010, 05:59pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
I've been away from Glasgow a long time, but have visited often...Where does the policing of the City centre fit into this equasion...isn't this a wee bit embarssing!!

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 12th May 2010, 06:41pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Of course Union Street, Aberdeen is not listed, because the police don't go there - too feart!

Honestly GG, whot a load of bollocks!

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
GG
post 12th May 2010, 09:45pm
Post #45

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Apparently the figures were presented as an example of how Strathclyde Police are using systematic information gathering as part of a new strategy to reduce violent crime in the city. Commenting on the initiative, which has seen a 35 per cent increase in the number of stop searches, Chief Superintendent Bob Hamilton said:

"I am not apologetic about saying to neds and criminals that we are going to be in their face and on their case. The overall strategy is to reduce the number of victims. On peak days like Old Firm matches, we will go and rattle cages and tell people hellbent on committing disorder, not to bother. It is not going to happen on our beat."

Superintendent Hamilton added:

"We looked at the data to try and predict when the next peak days are going to be. It allows us to see at a glance whether we are targeting the right area at the right time. Rather than wandering around a beat aimlessly, we are focused in on the who, what, where and when.

It is about offender management before a crime is committed. [...]

It is difficult to sit a criminal down and get the message through that it is not worth their while committing a crime.

It is telling them we are going to be on them, searching them, stopping them, hassling them, stopping them in their car, checking their documents, using every legitimate means we can to get the message across that we are not tolerating their behaviour."

If we are going to have a sensible, informed debate about issues such as the introduction of Tasers in the city then we need to know the facts, no matter how unappealing they may appear.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.