Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Winterfest Out... Christmas In, Name change for festive programme
breeks
post 25th Dec 2009, 03:14am
Post #16

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,989
As a former resident born and bred in Battlefield I was more than a little interested in this news item. As a retired clergyman now living in Prince Edward Island, Canada, I wholeheartedly underscore the remarks by 'j.irvine bell'. Glasgow was founded on a very strong Christian principle which would be reflected in its full motto - much of it also a part of the city's coat of arms. Take that away and you may as well go and design a new and more politically correct motto.

I have very fond memories of my birthplace and all the things associated with Christmas that I recall as a boy and a teenager. So seeing this change of direction by the city fathers (or should that be a re-direction) is very satisfying.

True there will be those who are nay-sayers; who do not wish to or want to believe in anything related to Christmas, nor to the Christian faith, but that is their opinion and it should be respected. Also, I too am troubled by the reference to "refugees" and negative allusions to where they might stand by faith - that the vast majority are not supporters of Christianity. Says who?
Here in P.E.I. we receive our quota of refugees from a number of countries. But to suggest that they be refused entry because of their religious leanings? - I don't think so. And, anyway, many of them are Christian believers.

One thing that bugs me about this subject, or others of a controversial nature, is how often we read of a "political" change, such as saying 'holiday tree' instead of 'Christmas tree', or taking prayers out of schools, or not singing the National Anthem (British or Canadian) at school assembly, etc. Have you noticed how often it is a case of "the tail wagging the dog" - of the sensitivity attitudes of a few who make the majority fall into line - their line?
A few years ago flyers here started advertising 'holiday trees'. I can't speak for all of Canada, but here in P.E.I. enough noise was made to see the return of 'Christmas trees' for sale again. If a majority don't enjoy some "politically correct" change, then don't just roll over in submission. Let your voice be heard in appropriate ways, as some other contributers to this discussion might suggest, re. Springburn.

May I offer a Merry Christmas to all fellow Glaswegians everywhere and in the "Dear Green Place"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 25th Dec 2009, 03:58am
Post #17

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
THH, I see you have read some of Terry Pratchett's books. I enjoy his writing as there are some thought provoking ideas in there amidst the fun. The term "Winterfest" was never liked by any Glaswegian that I know of, hence the change of mind about this. It was never going to be popular in a place where we have always celebrated Christmas. Can you imagine the stooshie there would be if, on the BBC they advertised forthcoming "Winterfest" programmes?
Now, I am not a believer of any faith, but to me, in this regard, I doesn't matter. It does matter a great deal to Christians who see this as a joyous time of the year to be celebrated by all.
Well, I was brought up with Christmas in a loving and caring family and I shall be going out and celebrating with them tomorrow. To me, the love of my wife and family constitutes having a really good celebration.
Who knows, on Boxing day I might even pick up Terry Pratchetts' latest book for a quick read. "Unseen Academicals" is the title.
I think it may well be based on Hamilton Academicals!
To all the GGER'S and to Martin who works tirelessly for this site, may I take the opportunity of wishing those with or without faith a very Merry Christmas.

P.S. The eejits who are in charge of Springburn shopping centre are going to be counting the cost of their idiocy in pure cash terms very soon.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 25th Dec 2009, 12:09pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Merry Christmas Tam
When I met my German mate Mick (who now has two sons named Padi and Hamish) he was studying English and Germanic in Basel Uni.
I introduced him to Terry Pratchett and Ian (and Ian M.) Banks. He took a copy each of a Banks' book and a Pratchett to his English Professor, (a Canadian who asked him where he got his Glasgow accent from rolleyes.gif)
Mick said they had a great lesson or two with these two books ... but he was told to be careful with pronunciations picked up from me. Being careful didn't help him much; tee hee hee (LoL)
The Wee Frees are his favourites ... including Rob Anybody .

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Tori G
post 25th Dec 2009, 03:39pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,927
I started using the term Happy Holiday's during moments for not trying to offend certain other religous groups, and also because many many people take holiday leave too, I must admit I actually ended up offending myself, to the point of realising that why should I change for the minority of those whom do not participate in one of the majority of the worlds main religous day's of the year, that choice is up to them forever-how long they choose, and from now on I will continue to say" Merry Christmas" to others, unless theres a reason for me not to.

--------------------
Thats what I think anyway

+Quote Post
Heather
post 25th Dec 2009, 03:49pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I have been saying Happy Christmas to everyone I have spoken to the last few days, even to the staff on the Check Out.

Last night going to Midnight Mass I called out Happy Christmas to everyone I passed.

Let Glasgow Flourish, by the Preaching of His word and the Praising of His Name. smile.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Alex Saville
post 25th Dec 2009, 09:55pm
Post #21

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,890
AMEN TO THAT, HEATHER!
Merry Christmas to all, God Bless you!
Alex

+Quote Post
RonD
post 25th Dec 2009, 10:19pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
I will continue to wish people Merry Christmas, no matter wha ttheir religious background. I would also be happy to be wished Happy Chanukkah, Happy Eid, Happy Diwali or Gung Hey Fat Choi. Any message meant in a joyous spirit can only be good.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
Millymouse
post 26th Dec 2009, 10:40am
Post #23

Settling In
Member No.: 2,602
I left Glasgow 1970 and I remember how the Square used to look at Christmas. Having had a look at it over the years on the internt it is disgusting I agree it looks cheap .

+Quote Post
**Stewiegriffin**
post 26th Dec 2009, 11:40pm
Post #24

QUOTE (Millymouse @ 26th Dec 2009, 10:38am) *
I left Glasgow 1970 and I remember how the Square used to look at Christmas. Having had a look at it over the years on the internt it is disgusting I agree it looks cheap .

George Square is a disaster area. Get it back to the way it was, nice tree and lights. All these stalls and ice rink is just tacky.

As for the powers that be in Springburn, have word with yourselves. Eskimos - come on! What's that to do with celebrating anything??

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 27th Dec 2009, 08:14am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
I have fond memories of George Square at Christmas , how sad it has gone to the dogs , i also remember being taken to Goldbergs to see their Christmas lights display which was always wonderful, also the light hung from the streets in the town , oh it was so bonny and it was Christmas .Alas I fear .... no longer.Cherish the memories , I do. smile.gif

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
Harrymc
post 27th Dec 2009, 10:32am
Post #26

Special Visitor
Member No.: 5,658
Cannae add to the sentiments already expressed but where the heck do these politically correct numpties spring from?I have described the Springburn Shopping Mall as an intimidating ghetto on another site based on recent visits to Springburn.What was once a bustling, thriving, lively COMMUNITY has been destroyed by so called "PLANNERS" and it seems the apologists for the values and culture of our towns and cities are hell bent on destroying what's left.
It's worth repeating if anybody is upset by our celebration of what we believe in then they are free to go elsewhere and that includes the like of the bosses of the Springburn Shopping Mall.
If they don't like us all we ask is that they leave us alone.
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY,HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 27th Dec 2009, 12:35pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
The above post(#26) reminds me of the saying " If it aint broke don't fix it",

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 27th Dec 2009, 08:17pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
I'm with you Catarina biggrin.gif Christmas it is!!!!

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 27th Dec 2009, 11:49pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,553
Winterfest Out... Christmas Returns

Let's hear it for Glasgow...Bravo Glasgow! Can ye imagine, "winterfest" 'n a penguin in Christ's cradle in Springburn??? Good for you Glasgow, maybe this'll show the rest of us how it should be done! Again, bravo Glasgow!

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 29th Dec 2009, 09:46am
Post #30

I agree with many of the sentiments already expressed. Although not a devout christian I feel saddened that we are diluting our Christmas celebrations (be they of Christs birth or of santa bringing presents) so as not to offend the minority. If I went to live abroad, it is unlikely the country I went to live in would cater for me in the same way - infact, I would be quite happy to celebrate (or let them celebrate) their culture - be it Eid, Diwali or the like without changing the words of celebration for fear of offending me. It doesnt mean I would forget my own customs and I would still celebrate Christmas, Easter etc with my own family and friends - and Im sure thats what a lot of the multi-cultural people in Glasgow do. if they are offended then that is their decision to be so, and they should move away - in the same way if I was offended by the use of the word christmas then I should choose to move away - or if I was living abroad and was not happy to accept the celebrations of the country I was living in I should not be there.

I feel we live in a world that is becoming so politically correct we are stifling all our rights to individual thoughts and feelings. It is sad that the world is becoming so sanitised. My love growing up was finding out about all the different religions and cultures and my travels round the world allowed me to explore these in more depth and enjoy each one - respecting the customs of the countrys I was in. However I came home - because the culture and celebrations I loved the most were the traditional ones of my childhood that I want to celebrate - if allowed - for the rest of my life. The sad thing is im not sure if this PC world will allow me to do so.

I live in hope.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.