Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Polls Open - Glasgow North East, Voting starts on by-election day (Video)
annabella
post 13th Nov 2009, 01:16am
Post #31

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,979
Enjoyed video of springburn and seeing the high rise flats was something else for us as we have been in Australia for forty years with plenty of space around us, so it was certainly something different.
Is their any videos of the main shopping areas as I would like to view them. Thanks anyway.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 13th Nov 2009, 01:58am
Post #32

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Rumour is that Conservatives have squeezed narrowly into third place ahead of BNP. Labour majority in the region of 8,000. Result to follow...

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 13th Nov 2009, 02:09am
Post #33

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
1. Labour (8,000 majority)
2. SNP
3. Conservatives
4. BNP
5. Tommy Sheridan (Solidarity)

Turnout: 33% ... YES!!! *

GG.

* (Sorry, that was a personal yes as I had money on a low turnout!)

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
weebren3
post 13th Nov 2009, 05:12am
Post #34

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,440
awsome voice,Thanks for the memories.never lived in springburn but had great friends who did.No matter what part you live everyone needs to pull together and help to keep the place in the best way they can,keep glasgow clean,we are the people not the lab,party or snp.come on vote for the scots.Every person who qoted they are glad they moved from glasgow,well sorry poverty is the world over,I have seen it.Dont you scots put our country down or glasgow Please.I am proud to be scots,so should you.We will Rise up as wallace said. I live in canada,now but been long time,but The person from BC or Assie,who are scots dont post about junkies,and poverty when its in yr own back yards.All is entilted to there opinions,but come on there is no bed of roses there either.I can still vote and mine will be on that ballot. Cheers all.Scotland forever. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
North Canalbank ...
post 13th Nov 2009, 10:18am
Post #35

Visitor
Member No.: 7,593
So what happened to the SNP vote. Is the Nationalist bubble starting to burst. 4,120 votes hardly seems like the party of goverment. Did the SNP make a mistake in their choice of candidate.
Funny feeling if the SNP had won Glasgow North East there would be a couple of hundred posts telling us the inside story.
Come on my nationalist friends, tell us your story.

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 13th Nov 2009, 11:02am
Post #36

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
I am quite surprised by the Labour majority being as large as it was. I expected them to win but not with an 8000 majority (10000 last time). It would be interesting to find out how many postal votes were made in total.

I won a total of 7 betting on Labour. I will round this up to 20 and donate to Children in Need.

In my opinion SNP had a poor choice of candidate - he was their 4th choice and came with too much baggage including his membership of Opus Dei. Additionally, maybe the electorate that voted in GNE, think that in the longer term their prospects might be better under Labour.

There also might just be some people who have looked at the SNP record, and of those in Edinburgh - like kids left alone in the sweetie shop; spending money like its going out of fashion, and coming up with some bonkers ideas.

Most amazing result of the night for me was Ruth Davidson for the Conservatives coming third. This shows that having a good candidate can make a huge difference. Imagine if SNP had a candidate like Ruth Davidson.

Anyway, excitement is over for now. I'm away to bet some horses.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
North Canalbank ...
post 13th Nov 2009, 11:56am
Post #37

Visitor
Member No.: 7,593
If you think it was amazing that the tories came a far behind third with 62 votes more than a Nazi, please tell us were you think the tories were going to come on the list.
12th, 11th, 10th...........................
That must the poorest result for a tory in a UK by election in living memory.

+Quote Post
Patter Merchant
post 13th Nov 2009, 12:35pm
Post #38

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,419
Great video.... and it ends with a note of optimism I believe, but who can deliver optimism for the people of Glasgow North East? From the results of the by-election, apparently not the SNP!

Can you imagine what ten more years of neo-liberal policies (this time from the Tories) will do to the area? GG, I hope you keep on taking those pix!!!!

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 13th Nov 2009, 01:09pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Great Video martin, Makes you think there by the Grace of God go I .

I hate to see the decline but for me it is still the place that I love, Thanks for the Video.

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
Cash-Ma-Giro
post 13th Nov 2009, 02:23pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,023
Excellent video GG, well thought out and edited, the background track sits neatly along with it.
All rather emotional.

I viewed areas in the video I've never seen before, I must broaden my horizens in future.

Oh, and I too am surprised at Labour's majority.

--------------------
Remember, just above those clouds,
the sun is always shining.

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 13th Nov 2009, 03:37pm
Post #41

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (North Canalbank St @ 13th Nov 2009, 11:54am) *
If you think it was amazing that the tories came a far behind third with 62 votes more than a Nazi, please tell us were you think the tories were going to come on the list.
12th, 11th, 10th...........................
That must the poorest result for a tory in a UK by election in living memory.

Believe me Ruth Davidson coming third for the conservatives in Springburn was a major achievement and certainly against many peoples expectations. Normally the tories don't even put a candidate up in areas like Springburn. I think in the last two general elections they never put anyone up for the seat. They'll get there deposit back which I'm sure they did not expect.

The bookies had the Conservatives, with the likes of Greens, LibDem, Tommy Sheridan, and someone called Mikey Hughes at 100/1. It is unfortunate that there was no such thing as each way bets in political betting.

Regards,

Ian

+Quote Post
chippyjim
post 13th Nov 2009, 04:35pm
Post #42

Special Visitor
Member No.: 7,529
to northcanelbank re snp vote not to worried about a 10 month stint lets wait for the big one as for snp forgettng glasgow dont think so who has been in goverment for the last 70 yrs not snp regards jim

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 13th Nov 2009, 05:00pm
Post #43

Super City Key Holder
The Guardian has quite a good summary of the GNE result.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...election-labour

I also read on another site this story. Conservative canvasser's stop a wee woman in the street in Springburn and asks for her support. She replies "Aw, no, sorry we don't do politics here - we just vote Labour".

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
Alex Saville
post 13th Nov 2009, 05:35pm
Post #44

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,890
Martin, I thought your video was very good! Very emotional and thought provoking!
I also liked the video referred to in post 9 by Sleekit Liar.
May I recommend this to others to look at? It certainly gives food for thought. If the allegation that Willie Bain is registered to vote in London's Hammersmith & Fulham, voter Reg No 1141z is true, then he has been lying to us about living locally!
If that is true, what else has he lied about?
As to the result, Willie Bain is quoted on the BBC News site saying 'The result has sent a resounding message to Alex Salmond'.
I disagree!
I suggest the message the voters sent went to Gordon Brown. It says no matter how corrupt your MP's are, no matter if you elevate them to the House of Lords, no matter how many lies you tell, WE WILL STILL VOTE FOR YOU!!
The SNP will also have to do a lot of soul searching, they are not making headway at all in Westminster election's.
Labour made all the running in this election and it was as if the SNP did not have the heart for the battle.
It is interesting, to say the least, to note the rise of the BNP in GNE.
They have came from behind and cant be displeased with their share of the vote. (Just for the record, NO, I didn't vote for them!) which seems to slowly move up at every election.
What will happen if some of those who voted for the defeated parties, take on board the Labour & Tory message that the General Election is a two horse race, get it into their head that the protest vote is now the BNP? I think that is a possibility.
I base this theory on the following. On R/Scotlands 'Morning Extra programme, people were interviewed on the streets who said, quite proudly, they voted Labour because their Mother or Father did and would continue to do so! Indeed, one woman said she wasn't happy with all that Labour had done 'But better the devil you know!'
Those statements are bound to make some people think that if they cant get their candidate elected they will invoke the 'My enemies enemy is my friend' theory!
All credit to Labour, they got 12,00 votes, in a poor turnout election. The next party, the SNP did not get anywhere close. They may have increased their vote, but clearly, are in the dark.

A sad day for us in this very deprived Springburn.
Alex

+Quote Post
beezzneezz1
post 13th Nov 2009, 06:39pm
Post #45

Visitor
Member No.: 6,906
willie bain does not stay in springburn ....its his mum that stays in eccles st...the high rise flats....someone should ask him if hes regestered for council tax from his springburn home, i doubt it very much ....also what is strange for him to claim thats he stays in springburn but he couldnt vote ....

This post has been edited by GG: 13th Nov 2009, 07:46pm
Reason for edit: Had to remove the last part as we cannot say that for certain. It will be up to others to prove or disprove.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.