Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tories Can't Find Glasgow North East, A photo exclusive not from Springburn
North Canalbank ...
post 13th Nov 2009, 10:20am
Post #31

Visitor
Member No.: 7,593
By that election result it looks as though the SNP could,nt find GNE either.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 13th Nov 2009, 11:11am
Post #32

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
QUOTE (North Canalbank St @ 13th Nov 2009, 10:18am) *
By that election result it looks as though the SNP could,nt find GNE either.

Nice one. But with the Conservatives coming a remarkable third perhaps Ruth Davidson and Davy Camerons visit to Tam Shephards in Queen Street was worthwhile.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
North Canalbank ...
post 13th Nov 2009, 11:35am
Post #33

Visitor
Slightly bemused at anybody thinking the Scottish Tories getting 1075 votes and coming third is a remarkable result.
In the 1979 election in almost the same constituency, Glasgow Springburn, they got ten times the number of votes and came second.
A 1000 votes for a crackpot might be seem as some sort of success but a 1000 votes for a majority polical party in a by election is bordering on disastrous.
Maybe the tories could tell us how many votes they would have got, had they a very poor candidate, 100,200,300.
Thats the lowest number of votes,1075, for a tory in any by election anywhere in the UK during the last hundred years.
Yes or No.

+Quote Post
chippyjim
post 13th Nov 2009, 01:46pm
Post #34

Special Visitor
Member No.: 7,529
re s n p low vote could it be the folk in springburn arent interested in a ten month candident nothing can be done by labour in that time as nothing has been done in the last 70 yrs springburn has sufferd labour ingratetude for to long i think the next election will seperate the the parties on what the snp has done (under all goverments moneteray restictions) and what the nothings that labour and con govs have done to scotland in 70yrs i am old enough to have seen the distuction to springburn and glasgow in general dont forget who created the poverty in scotland both party s have h qtrs in england is it not the case that england snezzzzzzs scotland gets to die of all ailments yours chippyjim

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 13th Nov 2009, 05:20pm
Post #35

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (North Canalbank St @ 13th Nov 2009, 11:33am) *
Maybe the tories could tell us how many votes they would have got, had they a very poor candidate, 100,200,300.
Thats the lowest number of votes,1075, for a tory in any by election anywhere in the UK during the last hundred years.
Yes or No.

Yes or no what? It is an unexpected result. For whatever the reasons the Tories were out there with the people from Big Brother & Tommy Sheridan - minority parties at odds of 100/1. It is not just me that thinks it is so.

I cannot comment on what happened in former years. I do think you are right that if they had a poor candidate, they would have had significantly less votes, and for sure would have lost their deposit. But I'm not in a position to have a stab of what the vote would be - your figures would be as good a guess as I could make.

The point I was trying to make earlier that if the SNP had a better candidate in my opinion they would have got more votes. Perhaps not enough to eat away at Labour's huge 8000 majority but certainly more votes than they did get. Unfortunately, I don't think the same logic would apply to Labour - with that sort of constituency and demographic mix Homer Simpson could have got in for Labour.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
North Canalbank ...
post 13th Nov 2009, 10:31pm
Post #36

Visitor
Is picking a candidate the hardest thing in the world, seems so if your the Scottish Goverment party.
Was the guy second, third or fourth choice.
Did nobody in the SNP think of a certain chap from Milton who would have blown the by election wide open with one topic.
Organized crime.
But no, lets go with a smoothy off the BBC who seemed a nice guy but with certain cult like religous baggage.
Want to win a by election then pick a good candidate.
What was needed was a political street fighter not a glamour boy.
The seat was there for the taking but no, lets ditch the Aiport Rail link to give Labour a chance.
Why not drop the rail link the day after the election.
Worries me that if running a by election is so hard for the SNP then maybe running an possible independent country is completely beyond them.
Maybe time to ditch the whole cosy tartan shortbread thing once and for all.
And get some young half decent political operators that the labour party seems to come up with in spades.
Beating Labour in their heartlands is no easy task but sounding like 1950s wee tories ain,t going to get you anywhere.

+Quote Post
North Canalbank ...
post 14th Nov 2009, 01:26am
Post #37

Visitor
QUOTE (FiddlerMig @ 5th Nov 2009, 07:01am) *
It is interesting to read folks views on the political scene in Scotland.
I have recently moved back to Scotland after about 43 years, and 30 of those years were spent living and working in England. So I have a bit of catching up to do, I have noticed that Scottish people are much more interested and switched on politically. Since returning to my homeland I have become interested in the SNP, and I know I have a bit of reading up to do and I shall keep informed as much as possible by reading this forum and reading the newspapers. I don't have a telly.
I am in favour of Independence for Scotland.
In my opinion, we need to steer well clear from the Labour party and and that awful Tory candidate , David Cameron with his fascist, power mad policies.

Just to let you know we have moved on since 43 years ago.

The wee tory lassie was quiet open about being a lesbian

Front page of the Pink News.

Almost said a baw hair between her and the BNP but that would be just silly now, would,nt it.

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 14th Nov 2009, 04:28am
Post #38

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
What I found to be discouraging about this campaign was the extremely low turnout of only 33 per cent of the electorate. l went into Springburn to vote yesterday and found that there were only two of the thirteen parties who had activists at Springburn Library. Neither of them were Labour men. I spoke to them both at length and could see just how bad a turnout it was going to be.
For anyone to claim that the voters were behind them no matter who won with this sort of turnout is living in cloud cookoo land. To think that 67 percent of voters in this area are so turned off by politics that they prefer not to bother is shocking, but not a surprise given the shenanegans at Verminster.
Personally, I think it's rather sad that this area can only look forward to more of the same. We deserve better.

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 14th Nov 2009, 08:31am
Post #39

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (North Canalbank St @ 14th Nov 2009, 01:24am) *
Almost said a baw hair between her and the BNP but that would be just silly now, would,nt it.

Yes it would. The election is over. The people have spoken. I've got my money from the bookies. The end.

Lets move on.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
North Canalbank ...
post 14th Nov 2009, 10:35am
Post #40

Visitor
Seems Queen Victoria did,nt believe there was such a thing as a Lesbian. Wonder if the leader of the Scottish Tory party holds the same view.

+Quote Post
Paulk
post 26th Nov 2009, 03:08am
Post #41

Settling In
Member No.: 4,657
The fact that she is gay has no baring on whether or not she would be a good candidate ...... the fact she is a Tory on the other hand might have lol

I wish John Smeaton had been voted in ..... I agree he is probably the biggest clown to walk the streets of Glasgow but at least he is a decent working class Glasgow lad. More than can be said about the other 'clowns'

+Quote Post
North Canalbank ...
post 26th Nov 2009, 09:41am
Post #42

Visitor
QUOTE (Paulk @ 26th Nov 2009, 03:06am) *
The fact that she is gay has no baring on whether or not she would be a good candidate ...... the fact she is a Tory on the other hand might have lol

I wish John Smeaton had been voted in ..... I agree he is probably the biggest clown to walk the streets of Glasgow but at least he is a decent working class Glasgow lad. More than can be said about the other 'clowns'

Your right, each to their own and all that, and being a gay women was never illegal in this country unlike being a gay man.
But being a gay woman tory candidate in Scotland was unknown in public until about 3 weeks ago.
Still, its 2009 and anybody that is that bothered, ie creepy wee Glesga Tories i remember in the 1970s, are probably dead.
Hardly to believe the tories had 7 out of 15 Glasgow seats until the 1960s.
So much for Red Clydeside.
Gay or Straight.

+Quote Post
GG
post 5th Nov 2011, 12:43pm
Post #43

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Ruth Davidson, who stood for the Tories in the Glasgow North East Westminster by-election in 2009, was yesterday elected leader of the Conservative Party in Scotland. In the by-election, Ms Davidson polled less than 2% of the Springburn electorate, 1,075 votes.

Scottish Conservatives elect gay leader
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-20...r--MSP-May.html

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 5th Nov 2011, 04:51pm
Post #44

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (GG @ 5th Nov 2011, 01:09pm) *
Ruth Davidson, who stood for the Tories in the Glasgow North East Westminster by-election in 2009, was yesterday elected leader of the Conservative Party in Scotland. In the by-election, Ms Davidson polled less than 2% of the Springburn electorate, 1,075 votes.

Scottish Conservatives elect gay leader
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-20...r--MSP-May.html

GG.

But Martin context is everything - if you and others can recall Ruth Davidson did quite a good job in the GNE by-election. She is a more than capable person and in my opinion without her the Tories would have perhaps lost their deposit. If you can mind back I was rooting for her to jump ship to the SNP because their candidate was useless.

Best wishes

Ian

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 6th Nov 2011, 08:16am
Post #45

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
As long as she takes her orders from London she will be as irrelevant as Annabel Grannie knickers!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.