Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1454 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Independence, About voting yes/no
Rating 4 V
wee davy
post 20th Jan 2013, 05:34pm
Post #76

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Ah,... I see your point. (DOH).
You feel w'ed only be ditching ONE master, whilst the EU Behemoth still runs the show?.
This is however, clearly not true. For as we see, Westminster are currently suggesting to the EU, that 'enough is enough'. There would (as jagz has pointed out) be EVERY attempt to extracate Scotland from the European Chains (which Edward Heath firmly wrapped around us, and a successive incompetent toerags have perpetuated, since).
Make no mistake - Brussels are worried about the consequences of their hungriness to seize FULL control of Europe. And the independence question is very much part of that concern.

guardian article
this may help your quandry, linda

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 20th Jan 2013, 05:58pm
Post #77

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
This in today's Guardian from Arch unionist Kevin McKenna who seems to be coming around to the idea of dissolving of the union when he writes of fellow unionist lack of an argument for the union (see, it's not just the unionists on GG that can't put up argument to retain it wee davy) when he say's.

"The champions of the union these days have curiously little to say that is positive about their cherished political Nirvana beyond the Queen, some shared former glories and a nebulous stability."

And this is my favourite part (does it remind you of anyone)

"When their anti nationalist invective outweighs their pro-union adulation you realise that they are not convinced either."

I never thought i would find myself nodding in agreement to one of Mr McKenna's columns, here's hoping he's the first of many...................

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...ing-only-option.

Sorry but i can't seem to get the link up.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 20th Jan 2013, 06:01pm
Post #78

Mega City Key Holder
were in danger of catching linda in a pincer movement, jagz lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 20th Jan 2013, 06:05pm
Post #79

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (wee davy @ 20th Jan 2013, 06:18pm) *
were in danger of catching linda in a pincer movement, jagz lol

OOOOHHHH Matron. laugh.gif

I see you have the Guardian link up........What is it the say about great minds........ tongue.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 20th Jan 2013, 06:11pm
Post #80

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (lindamcf @ 20th Jan 2013, 05:36pm) *
Hi Jagz,
do you honestly think that if the people want a referendum on the EU that whoever is in control at Holyrood will let us have one. We've been shafted (politest word i could think of) for years by the self serving political classes, independence wont change that fact

Yes i do Linda, unlike the Westminster parliament we can bring down any Scottish government who doesn't put Scotland and her people first and foremost.

+Quote Post
GG
post 20th Jan 2013, 06:28pm
Post #81

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
An interesting read from Kevin McKenna in the Guardian today, including:
Scottish independence is fast becoming the only option

[...] The most common wet dream of every Bullingdon Tory is the national lottery. And what a jolly wheeze it is: get the poor to fund our biggest capital projects in exchange for a cruel fairy story. Now they've doubled the stake to 2, confident that the benefit cuts are increasing their customer base daily. In Glasgow, the boss of a council-run regeneration agency was given a 500k pay-off at a time when the Citizens Advice Bureau is reporting almost 1,000 calls a day from people whose families have been impoverished by the benefit cuts. Life for millions of people under the most rapacious and reactionary government in 150 years has diminished. To prevent the peasants revolting, however, they have been treated to exaggerated displays of unity euphoria such as the Olympics and assorted royal jubilees.

Labour in the UK long ago gave up any pretence at being the party of the marginalised and the vulnerable. Instead, it throws rotten fruit at the SNP when it says what Labour should be saying. Alex Salmond last week painted a handsome picture of what a new Scottish constitution following independence would look like. Every Scot, he said, would have a right to a home and free education. There will be no nuclear weapons. And we'll decide who we're fighting and who we're not. Until Blair, Mandelson, Balls and Miliband hijacked the party, that was what I thought Labour stood for. Now they simply boo and hiss with the Tories and say it can't be done. [...]

Full article here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...ing-only-option

Sorry, JAGZ1876, just noticed you put up the same story - fixed the link!

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 20th Jan 2013, 07:25pm
Post #82

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
LOL you guys are slow, i read that this morning biggrin.gif Probably the only good thing about facebook wink.gif

As regards to European union, as many will be aware i've argued that we are in it and will continue until we say so (imho) thats not to say i'm pro EU as it is, i much prefer a EU with free trade and none of the stupid laws or expenses. If Scotland does become independent i would hope that whoever wins in 2016 looks at all options, fully in but not budging on having a veto, or discussions with Norway and the other option of being part of the economic area but not being in the EU. Hopefully the main parties recognise the need for debate on this issue once we are 'free' and a vote will take place.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
lindamcf
post 20th Jan 2013, 09:09pm
Post #83

Resident
Member No.: 9,006
Thanks for the input fellas,
I so hope your right JAGZ, i think that independence is just the first rung on the ladder towards self rule. Its just getting the powers that be to agree that's the problem, Linda

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 20th Jan 2013, 09:18pm
Post #84

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 20th Jan 2013, 07:42pm) *
LOL you guys are slow, i read that this morning biggrin.gif Probably the only good thing about facebook wink.gif

Some of us have lives John tongue.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 20th Jan 2013, 09:27pm
Post #85

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (lindamcf @ 20th Jan 2013, 09:26pm) *
Thanks for the input fellas,
I so hope your right JAGZ, i think that independence is just the first rung on the ladder towards self rule. Its just getting the powers that be to agree that's the problem, Linda

No Linda, devolution was the first rung of the ladder towards self rule, independence is the end game.

And i'm sure the powers that be will come to an amicable agreement Linda.

Vote YES next year thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 28th Jan 2013, 04:47pm
Post #86

Mega City Key Holder
Here a comment from David Cameron today about the new HS2 link between London, Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds in today's Guardian.

The prime minister, David Cameron, said: "Linking communities and businesses across the country and shrinking the distances between our greatest cities, high-speed rail is an engine for growth that will help to drive regional regeneration and invigorate our regional economies.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/28/h...-links-unveiled

Whatever happened to the "One Nation" speeches from Ed Miliband and the vote NO campaigners, when "across the country" doesn't even reach halfway up the Nation, perhaps some of the Nae sayers, can explain, or am i right in saying we are only One Nation when it comes to helping to pay for their big train set.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 28th Jan 2013, 05:37pm
Post #87

Mega City Key Holder
You'll be there, in Birmingham, waving yer wee union jack, as it pulls into the station - saying ' thank you Mr Cameron for seeing all the 'regions' are regenerated and invigorated.
DING DONG
HS2 - will NOT be calling at Carlisle, Glasgow, Fort William, Inverness, Aberdeen, Kircaldy, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Darlington, or York.

--------------------

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 28th Jan 2013, 07:47pm
Post #88

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545

Go To England and tell people you're from up North, you'll get funny looks. You see, the people that like to tell us we are all British are wrong, there is the English then everyone else that tags along. We up here aren't northerners but Scots/Jocks/Sweatys. So dont be surprised when National isn't really national in the British sense, it never has been, you have National xxxx then you have a Scottish offshoot that isn't quite as important.

Millibland wants us to be all 'British', its handy for Labour votes because without them winning power in Westminster is all the more difficult, it's also handy to have a few thousands lads ready to die for the lies when the next incursion into foreign lands happens.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 28th Jan 2013, 08:01pm
Post #89

Mega City Key Holder
Kevin McKenna's column in the Guardian, is fast becoming Scotlands equivalent of Blitz Krieg, at the moment. He's doing a MUCH better job than Mr Fawkes lol

Saturday's Contribution

--------------------

+Quote Post
wombat
post 28th Jan 2013, 08:09pm
Post #90

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
thumbup.gif yir post sez it aw kermit yes.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post

1454 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Jan 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.