Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

16 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow: Worst Schools In Britain?, City bottom of UK qualifications league
Dave Grieve
post 21st Sep 2011, 03:58pm
Post #151

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (Melody @ 21st Sep 2011, 04:33pm) *
Thank you Alex, you describe wonderful parents there. Parents who held loving admirable qualities, qualities which I recognise in my own parents and grandparents and my husband's parents and grandparents. They really devoted their lives to us. No matter what the family came first. We were very lucky. Thank you again.

Poverty alone I know is not the soul cause of the lack of the above good qualities. There is also a poverty of another kind, a poverty of spirit. I don't seem to be able to put my finger on one thing that has caused this kind of malaise we see these days. Maybe it's a mixture of things. People seem to have lost their way somehow.

Could it be Melody that the goverment has taken too much responsibility away from families day to day lives.
The big difference between the parents of yesteryear and today is in those days the parents were more in charge in their family's life whereas today the goverment wants to interfere and control everybody.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 21st Sep 2011, 03:59pm
Post #152

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
If I know ONE thing - the WAY is NOT the way, of people like Richard Dawkins - an intelligent man, who would want for all things spiritual to be erased/eradicated from the human psychi.

His blatant attempt at reaching young minds, with his own style of intense fundamentalism, in his new book, stands testament to that. His creed is it is only Science which matters.
In so many ways, this is also a factor, as is early breakdown of 'families' Alex. Your post simply reinforces my argument that it is the FAMILY which REALLY matters, in all of this.

He said the other day (Dawkins), he quite liked the Genesis story.

Wonder why he didn't choose The Passion.

Peace

The big difference between the parents of yesteryear and today is in those days the parents were more in charge in their family's life whereas today the goverment wants to interfere and control everybody.

Dave

The blame for this, falls squarely on the insane drive towards all things secular, Dave

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 21st Sep 2011, 08:25pm
Post #153

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Respect, I honestly feel that this is what we have lost.
Many of the children and young adults have no respect for authority. Parents, teachers, etc.

I dont often ride the bus however when on vacation in Glasgow two years ago it sure was an education riding the bus from Bishopbriggs to Glasgow.
I was blown away not only at the way the children spoke to their parents ,but the way parents spoke to their children.

My youngest daughter is a school teacher and she has spoken about how things have changed since she went to school. Not that long ago either she is 30.Teachers have their hands tied there is only so much they can do.So the problem is not just a Glasgow problem its world wide. However our education system is considered one of the best. I have said many times to the family I wish I was going to school these days. Its so interesting and geared to the pupils needs.

I left school in 1960 at that time my education was considered a good one.I attended Charlotte Street senior secondary school. I only had a school certificate when I left but it opened many doors for me.The Scottish education was considered one of the best ,if not the best in the world. Not anymore it seems to have become a joke.What went wrong?

I think we were given the right tools to go out into the world and continue our education. Most of my friends have done very well for themselves. Mind you we did'nt look for hands out or free rides.

Give the educators their power back and get back to basics, reading writing and math.Make sure all children have the basics before they can leave school.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 21st Sep 2011, 10:30pm
Post #154

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
For starters Glasgow should get rid of its methadone maintenance programs, this is so disgusting and its only enabling continued drug using. That would be first on my list to scrap that program , I cant believe whats going on in my beloved city, the children should be the priority not the drug users.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 21st Sep 2011, 11:17pm
Post #155

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Your right Lass. Methadone is actually no less addictive than herion and most junkies use it to supplement their habit. Mary sad.gif

+Quote Post
GG
post 21st Sep 2011, 11:20pm
Post #156

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (Heather @ 18th Sep 2011, 07:56pm) *
Lass, I remember when in Primary School those of us who finished our sums first, were told to sit with the one's who were bit slower and help them.

The same thing happened at home. Our mum would tell the older one's to help the younger one's with their homework.

Hi Heather, this 'buddy learning' system is back on the agenda after virtually disappearing from the school system for many years following the focus of education moving almost exclusively to the teacher teaching:

Pupils 'can help teach each other to read and do maths'
14 September 2011

Children as young as seven can help teach each other to read and do maths, research suggests.

A two-year study of 7,000 pupils in 129 primary schools in Scotland suggests pupils benefit from tutoring each other in regular, short sessions.

These involve two pupils of different academic ability and sometimes different ages.

Assessments at the beginning and end of the programme showed peer tutoring had a consistently positive effect. ...

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-14896716

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Heather
post 22nd Sep 2011, 11:43am
Post #157

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
GG, I wonder why it was stopped in the first place. It was done right through my Primary School days but within our own class.

I remember during the 80s our son was a volunteer helping a young lad who had left school but could hardly read or write.
I know there were Evening Classes to help those who had problems reading and writing, but this was different as it was done on a one to one basis one evening a week.

I was interested in being a volunteer when I retired but could not find out any information about it, so I assumed it had been stopped. I don't know why as it was voluntary with no payment made to the volunteers.

I think it's bad enough that children leave Primary School unable to read or write and worse when leaving at 16 yrs of age still never having learned.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 22nd Sep 2011, 11:52am
Post #158

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
Dave

"The blame for this, falls squarely on the insane drive towards all things secular"

The children you are demonising did not attend a Secular School as there are no Secular Schools.

They attended a Christian School in a Christian Country, so the blame lies fair and square with Christians, some of whom are so blinkered they always look for someone else to blame if they can not find a solution.!!!

I am a Secularist but not militant and would never dream of insulting Christianity in the manner you have insulted Secularism.Live and let live.

Not my fault.!!.

France is a Secular State and they appear to be fairly civilised.?

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 22nd Sep 2011, 12:18pm
Post #159

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (Dylan @ 22nd Sep 2011, 01:38pm) *
The children you are demonising did not attend a Secular School as there are no Secular Schools.

They attended a Christian School in a Christian Country

Most schools in Scotland are non-denominational. Denominational schools are generally Roman Catholic or Episcopalian.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 22nd Sep 2011, 12:54pm
Post #160

Mega City Key Holder
Dylan

QUOTE (Dylan @ 22nd Sep 2011, 12:38pm) *
Dave

"The blame for this, falls squarely on the insane drive towards all things secular"

??? Hiv you been oan the Domestos, Dylan?
If you read what I have had to say on this topic, I have in no way attacked, demonised or set ANY blame upon the children. Quite the contrary.

They attended a Christian School in a Christian Country, so the blame lies fair and square with Christians, some of whom are so blinkered they always look for someone else to blame if they can not find a solution.!!!
My point entirely, Dylan. Christianity DOES have to share the blame, for in many ways allowing secularists to continually attempt to dominate and undermine social infrastructure,

I am a Secularist but not militant and would never dream of insulting Christianity in the manner you have insulted Secularism.Live and let live.

Because I challenge the belief that religion should not be involved with the ordinary social and political activities of this country, it doesn't follow that I do not 'live and let live'.

France is a Secular State and they appear to be fairly civilised.?
Open to discussion

PS If you really were a Secularist, you would know that as the UK is considered a secular state
so it follows, that all state schools are secular - first.

With respect, I stand by my statement which was made honestly, without wishing to offend.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 22nd Sep 2011, 01:10pm
Post #161

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 22nd Sep 2011, 01:04pm) *
Most schools in Scotland are non-denominational. Denominational schools are generally Roman Catholic or Episcopalian.

Do not wish to be pedantic Alex but there are no Non Dom Schools, only RC et all or Public Schools ( often referred to as Protestant Schools.), however they are Christian Schools ( Christianity being the Denomination )but will admit anyone although RI is not compulsory.

I remember a Jewish Lad at our Primary who stood outside in the corrider during RI/RE.

In France they are Secular Schools with Religion taught by parents at home, where it belongs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 22nd Sep 2011, 01:15pm
Post #162

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (wee davy @ 22nd Sep 2011, 01:40pm) *
Dylan

""With respect, I stand by my statement which was made honestly, without wishing to offend."

Where is the respect ? Drinking Domestos ?Where is your proof that Secularists are to blame. ?

Not even in your opinion, a given. Not challenged my belief, stated Secularism is to blame

You have none, it is simply you looking for someone to blame.!

Would you write a similar piece about Muslims without wishing to offend and not offend them ?????

--------------------

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 22nd Sep 2011, 01:32pm
Post #163

Mega City Key Holder
You are taking my standpoint far to personally, Dylan.

Secularism is an ideology - not a religion.

I am entitled to have an opinion on its good/bad influence upon education and development of children in my country.

As do you have the same.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 22nd Sep 2011, 01:50pm
Post #164

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Hope this is some help. rolleyes.gif

Secularism
From Wikipedia

Secularism is the principle of separation between government institutions and the persons mandated to represent the State from religious institutions and religious dignitaries;

the principle that the state has no religion and there is no state religion;
persons elected to its legislative, nominated to official functions or in the administration(s) and person nominated in the judiciary cannot hold religious beliefs in their function but have to keep their religious beliefs exclusively for their private life
persons holding a religious office cannot be elected or nominated to public office.
western European secular states also define secularism as the freedom to worship, or to hold any religious belief or philosophical and ethical reference frame of thought.

In one sense, secularism may assert the right to be free from religious rule and teachings, and the right to freedom from governmental imposition of religion upon the people within a state that is neutral on matters of belief. In another sense, it refers to the view that human activities and decisions, especially political ones, should be unbiased by religious influence. Some scholars are now arguing that the very idea of secularism will change.

Secularism draws its intellectual roots from Greek and Roman philosophers such as Marcus Aurelius and Epicurus, medieval Muslim polymaths such as Ibn Rushd, Enlightenment thinkers like Denis Diderot, Voltaire, Benedict Spinoza, John Locke, James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, and Thomas Paine, and modern freethinkers, agnostics and atheists such as Bertrand Russell and Robert Ingersoll.

The purposes and arguments in support of secularism vary widely. In European laicism, it has been argued that secularism is a movement toward modernization, and away from traditional religious values (also known as "secularisation"). This type of secularism, on a social or philosophical level, has often occurred while maintaining an official state church or other state support of religion. In the United States, some argue that state secularism has served to a greater extent to protect religion from governmental interference, while secularism on a social level is less prevalent. Within countries as well, differing political movements support secularism for varying reasons.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 22nd Sep 2011, 02:26pm
Post #165

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (wee davy @ 22nd Sep 2011, 02:18pm) *
You are taking my standpoint far to personally, Dylan.

Secularism is an ideology - not a religion.

I am entitled to have an opinion on its good/bad influence upon education and development of children in my country.

As do you have the same

Not personal at all.

Just defending my opinion.

You did not say it was your opinion , you said Secularism was to blame.

If you had said IMO--no problem. You are now saying it is only your opinion--good, because you could not prove it as a given fact.. Read Tomi's Post 164 !!

Not very dangerous are we ?

However I will fight my problem without fear or favour

--------------------

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.