Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tottie Scones, Tottie scone recipe
The Bankie
post 10th Nov 2014, 07:44pm
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 9,161
Hi Guys
I need some help here
Having finally sorted out reasonable roll, Lorne sausage and Meat pie recipes and the wife has been making proper crumbly shortie for years I'm looking for a proper Ner'day "Black Bun" and a Glaswegian Tottie scone recipe.

Black Bun might as well be a black hole and the only recipes for tottie scones are the awful 1/2 inch thick jobs from the "catering" trade. I want some of the really thin (1/4 inch maximum) triangular jobs we used to get, and for all I know can still get, back in the 60s.

Anybody help?

The Bankie

--------------------
Living in exile in West Yorkshire
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 10th Nov 2014, 07:52pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (The Bankie @ 10th Nov 2014, 09:01pm) *
Hi Guys
I need some help here
Having finally sorted out reasonable roll, Lorne sausage and Meat pie recipes and the wife has been making proper crumbly shortie for years I'm looking for a proper Ner'day "Black Bun" and a Glaswegian Tottie scone recipe.

Black Bun might as well be a black hole and the only recipes for tottie scones are the awful 1/2 inch thick jobs from the "catering" trade. I want some of the really thin (1/4 inch maximum) triangular jobs we used to get, and for all I know can still get, back in the 60s.

Anybody help?

The Bankie

Some black hole ! I just googled "black bun recipe" and got 1,350,000 hits. Tottie scones only wnt into 5 figures. As with all internet recipes, there will be huge variations, but take your pick.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 11th Nov 2014, 06:28am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
This is the basic recipe I use, the thickness can be whatever you want simply by rolling

Potato Scones
Ingredients:

Half pound boiled and mashed potatoes
(65g) flour
3 tablespoons melted butter
Half teaspoon salt

Preparation Method:
Mash the potatoes while they are still warm and add the butter and salt. Add in enough flour to make it a pliable dough but without making it too dry. The type of potato will affect this. Turn out onto a floured surface and roll until about quarter of an inch thick.
Cut into six inch circles and then into quarters. Prick all over with a fork and cook in a heavy pan which has been lightly greased.
Cook each side for about three minutes or until golden brown.

+Quote Post
The Bankie
post 11th Nov 2014, 10:19am
Post #4

Visitor
Many thanks Dave,
I'll give that a try.

Regards
Jim

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 11th Nov 2014, 10:43pm
Post #5

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
Bankie I would like to tell you my tottie scone secrets,my husband won`t look at a tottie scone when we visit Scotland ,he prefers mine.I use 3 teaspoons of salt in the spuds when I cook them,and mash with white pepper butter and milk,like Dave I don`t let them get too dry. The skillet should be very hot,and dry to cook,then.....into a clean teatowel all wrapped up and steaming through each other,that makes them soft and velvety. Right I`m in the notion now,I`m away to peel the totties

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 12th Nov 2014, 07:23am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (taurus @ 12th Nov 2014, 01:00am) *
Bankie I would like to tell you my tottie scone secrets,my husband won`t look at a tottie scone when we visit Scotland ,he prefers mine.I use 3 teaspoons of salt in the spuds when I cook them,and mash with white pepper butter and milk,like Dave I don`t let them get too dry. The skillet should be very hot,and dry to cook,then.....into a clean teatowel all wrapped up and steaming through each other,that makes them soft and velvety. Right I`m in the notion now,I`m away to peel the totties

I normally dont measure the salt I put in, I just make sure theres a lot otherwise the scones are quiet tasteless, think I will give your method a try next time Taurus, which will be this Saturday, I will also take a drive and see if I can find some Black Pudding or Haggis, long time since we have had a proper Sunday breakfast thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
farrochie
post 12th Nov 2014, 08:35am
Post #7

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,201
Great discussion, I used to make tottie scones when I was a youngster, but I never worked to a recipe. It was just the basic totties, flour and butter, mixed and rolled out thin. But I cooked them on a griddle first. They could be fried later. I also used to like them cold and spread with butter when I bought them.

+Quote Post
The Bankie
post 12th Nov 2014, 08:58am
Post #8

Visitor
Once more Thank you all for the replies. biggrin.gif

The main problem I found was the thickness of the dough. I could never get it to roll thin enough without cracking so it must be a water or flour snag. blush4.gif
As far as recipes go I HAVE found a "black bun" one and I never realized it was so complicated so I'll give that one a miss ohmy.gif
I can now make passable morning rolls (providing I remember to start at lunchtime the previous day) and "Beatties Meaties" and Carol, my wife, has made shortbread to the "Recipe, What recipe?" recipe for 40+ years so we're OK for real food now.
Unfortunately she has started to suffer from arthritis so I have to do the preparation work but working together we seem to have it sorted.

A final thanks to those of you who have replied thumbup.gif so all I need is to get the extra spuds in and off we go.

Regards
Jim & Carol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 16th Nov 2014, 08:38am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks Taurus, just finished breakfast and my wife like the new recipie dont think I got it 100 per cent but i will tweak it until its spot on.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.