Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Girl Guides, Kinning Park Parish
CAT
post 17th Jun 2008, 12:44pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
It was the artical last week about the wee boy who wouldn't make his scout promise that got me thinking about the guides. I was a member of the 56th at Kinning Park Parish church in Edwin Street. I attended both the guides and the ranger guides until I was 18. I made some fantastic pals and we had some great times, where we learned some invaluable life skills without even knowing we were doing it.
It was all down to the hard work of one lovely lady Margaret Cunningham. She was a leader, a mother figure and good friend to hundreds of girls.
I have 101 stories and it wid take a book tae write them all. You share your's and I'll share mine biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 18th Jun 2008, 04:06am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Went to the Brownies and the Guides at Cathcart Old Parish, Brown Owl was a lady called Barbara Todd and she had a big whisker that grew out her chin, why didnt she cut it off. unsure.gif never could figure that out.

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 18th Jun 2008, 05:28am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
Me too I did Brownies on Balgrayhill rd & Guides in Colston welpark church on springburn rd brothers did the Boys Brigade. biggrin.gif these wee clubs kept us off the streets & did teach us more than we realise ,well I think they stayed with you forever the things we were taught back then.I loved xmas time in both outfits as there was always a huge build up & displays put on by members as well as trips to see the pantomimes in the town.great days.

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 18th Jun 2008, 07:57am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
I was in the Brownies and Guides in Gairbraid Church and loved every minute of it. I think these organisations are so beneficial to children and they certainly kept me out of trouble.

+Quote Post
CAT
post 18th Jun 2008, 02:03pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Well said MH although it didn't always keep me out of trouble. I remeber I was only at Guides 4 months and it was early January I had just turned 13. A trip to the Kelvinhall had been arranged. Well my pal couldn't go so off I go to meet at the church and turns out it's been cancelled. There were 4 other girls there who I only new from guides and the were lets just say a bit more street wise than me. Anyway they persuade me its a great Idea to go on our own. Were there about an hour when I lost my purse. I found it half an hour later Actualy 1 of the other girls did EMPTY. Panic they all said they had no money left (which I later found to be untrue) Long story short I had tae walk home. I was petrified but I wiz too scared tae phone my mammy and tell her a went tae kelvin hall without an adult. So I followed the bus route home and got tae Kinning park just as the other girls got there and were just coming out of the chippy. (no Money!!)But I lived in pollok so it was another good 4 miles home in the rain.
I get in the door exhausted an my mother starts shoutin at me for goin out an leavin ma room in a mess. God above only knows what she'd have done if she knew.
But is sure taught me a lesson.

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 18th Jun 2008, 08:28pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
I bet it did CAT.

+Quote Post
Elma
post 18th Jun 2008, 10:11pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I first joined Brownies in Annan where we met in the school, then when I moved to Glasgow was in both the Brownies (was a Sixer in the Elves!) and then 'flew up' to the Guides in Scotstoun East Church. I was eventually promoted to Patrol Leader there, can't remember the name of the patrol. I remember going to the Kelvin Hall every year to the Circus and Carnival Cat, I was lucky enough to go with the Guides, although it wouldn't have been such a long walk home for me smile.gif What a horrible experience that must have been for you.
These organizations have changed quite a bit now but are still well worthwhile for keeping both boys and girls out of trouble and giving then a good start in life. (Didn't mean to sound preachy but you know what I mean biggrin.gif )

+Quote Post
CAT
post 19th Jun 2008, 09:47am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Sure was scary Elma the thought of any of my kids attempting that when they had just turned 13 frightens the life out of me. I was normaly a very well behaved and sensible kid so you never know what your kids get up to even the good ones.
I was the leader of the swallow patrol before moving up to Ranger Guides. There about ten of us up to the age of 19. We had beauty nights, wnt out for meals and had some really interesting people come in for talks.
We all wore our grown up aqua blouses and and navy skirts it was quite smart. Our meetings were on a friday night so afterwards about 6 of us would head for the pub removing our badges of course for a wee fresh orange and lemonade laugh.gif . We were always getting asked wich travel agents or airline we worked for the boys just loved a girl in uniform wink.gif

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 19th Jun 2008, 11:41am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
laugh.gif Liked the bit about the girls in Uniform CAT! laugh.gif I was a sixer in the Sprites!

+Quote Post
CAT
post 19th Jun 2008, 02:28pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
MHG ah jist don't know if the brown wooly hat wid hiv the same effect laugh.gif

+Quote Post
stratson
post 19th Jun 2008, 02:46pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
I was a seconder in the Thistle Patrol 1st Bridge of Weir 67th Renfrewshire. Girl Guides.B.P.
Brownies when I reflect on roll call>>Twit Twoooooo biggrin.gif We were all so serious, seems funny now.

Cat, there was me thinkin the Rangers had sheltered lives rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Melody
post 20th Jun 2008, 05:02pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Oh Brownies. Remember:-

Twist me and Turn me and show me the Elf.
I Looked in the Water and there saw Myself. smile.gif

+Quote Post
stratson
post 20th Jun 2008, 06:02pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Those were the days my friend1(cue for a song Melody!) biggrin.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Melody
post 20th Jun 2008, 08:22pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
laugh.gif Hello Stratson, remember in the guides they'd say 'Tallest to the left shortest to the right in single rank file.' My but we were disciplined wee weans. Weans today would think they were being punished for something and we were enjoying ourselves. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
CAT
post 21st Jun 2008, 08:01pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
I know what ye mean Melody it was learning discipline but it was fun. It was great when ye got yer patrol 10 points for yer uniform or your marching. The point's all adde up and the winning patrol got tae keep the shield fur a year. Ye also got points for good deeds or if ye achieved something at school. as ye say Stratson happy day's right enough.
Oh and we Ranger guides did lead verey sheltered lives laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.