Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

187 Pages V  « < 185 186 187  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uk Independence Referendum - Brexit, Yes or No on EU membership
Rating 1 V
taurus
post 23rd Jun 2017, 03:34am
Post #2791

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
I am apologising in advance for my lack of knowledge on this subject,and even feel presumptious in doing this,but from 12,000 miles away,and with the UK in my heart forever,I have viewed the EU as finishing off Hitler`s big dream,to conquer the whole of Europe, and especially Great Britain,and this time ,without a shot being fired. Shoot me down in flames,throw all the facts and figures and benefits at me,this is the only post i will make on this subject,but it is my opinion,and I know i`m entitled to it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 23rd Jun 2017, 07:52am
Post #2792

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
I accept your apology. Your lack of knowledge on the subject is shared by many and so easily remedied, but I guess dislike of foreigners will override any logical thought for you and others. You are right of course to say that you are entitled to your opinion, no matter where you reside in the world. One member on here disagrees with that view, but is probably hypocritical enough to bend his own rule in your case.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 23rd Jun 2017, 02:24pm
Post #2793

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (taurus @ 23rd Jun 2017, 04:34am) *
12,000 miles away,and with the UK in my heart forever,I have viewed the EU as finishing off Hitler`s big dream,to conquer the whole of Europe, and especially Great Britain

Some may also view the Union of parliaments (1707) as finishing off Englands Edward I big dream to conquer Scotland.

Like you, they'd be wrong.

It must be hell for you being 12,000 miles away from the UK Tauris?

I'm sure there will be some things you'll like about your adopted homeland that has taken you in and gave you a wonderful quality of life that you could only have dreamt of had you remained in the UK.

+Quote Post
angel
post 23rd Jun 2017, 04:39pm
Post #2794

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675

Hi Jagz , if I may ,
for many of the immigrants who left their home searching for
greener pastures , their new country of choice did not hand them
a wonderful life on a silver platter but there was more opportunities
for them to go after and make that better life for themselves through
hard work and also travelling to where that employment was and
eventually settling down in their new homeland after a few years . smile.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
angel
post 23rd Jun 2017, 04:49pm
Post #2795

Mega City Key Holder

Canada and Brexit

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/brexit-can...le-50-1.4043926

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 23rd Jun 2017, 04:55pm
Post #2796

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (angel @ 23rd Jun 2017, 05:39pm) *
Hi Jagz , if I may ,

Apart from misquoting me by implying i said " their new country of choice handed them a wonderful life on a silver platter", then we're more or less on the same page Angel.

+Quote Post
angel
post 23rd Jun 2017, 05:08pm
Post #2797

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 23rd Jun 2017, 04:55pm) *
Apart from misquoting me by implying i said " their new country of choice handed them
a wonderful life on a silver platter", then we're more or less on the same page Angel.

If I misquoted your post I apologize but I never misquoted your good intentions .

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
wombat
post Y'day, 06:33am
Post #2798

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (angel @ 23rd Jun 2017, 04:39pm) *
Hi Jagz , if I may ,

thumbup.gif rolleyes.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post Today, 11:35am
Post #2799

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545

I think it's a perfectly fair offer and it's weird that others are up in arms over it, I guess any offer other than pleading to 'return' back to the EU is going to upset the right people.

Brexit: May unveils 'fair and serious' offer on EU citizens

About three million EU citizens living in the UK would be allowed to stay after Brexit, Theresa May has proposed.
A new "UK settled status" would grant EU migrants who had lived in the UK for five years rights to stay and access health, education and other benefits.
Proposals were unveiled at a Brussels summit but are dependent on EU states guaranteeing Britons the same rights.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel called the plan a "good start", but Labour said it was "too little, too late".
Many EU citizens in the UK, and Britons living abroad, are worried about their status once Brexit happens. The UK's exit deadline is 30 March 2019.
Addressing other EU leaders at her first summit since the general election, the prime minister said she did not want anyone to have to leave or families to split up.
"No one will face a cliff edge," she said.
"The UK's position represents a fair and serious offer, one aimed at giving as much certainty as possible to citizens who have settled in the UK, building careers and lives and contributing so much to our society.''

Mrs May said the UK wanted to protect the rights of EU citizens in the UK - and the rights of UK expats in other European countries.

Mrs May said the UK wanted to protect the rights of EU citizens in the UK - and the rights of UK expats in other European countries.

Mrs May also said the system would be streamlined, doing away with an 85-page permanent residency application form which has attracted complaints.
BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg said the PM was already on a collision course with her European counterparts over her plan for the rules of the new system to be applied by a British court - Brussels has insisted it must be the European Court of Justice that oversees it.
But she added that the offer was intended to be a symbol that the UK was getting on with Brexit at a time of turmoil at home, in the wake of the general election result which led to Mrs May losing her Commons majority.
Our correspondent said the full details would not be unveiled until next Monday, and it was not yet clear if the offer was as generous as that put forward by the EU a month ago. Details on issues such as the rights of EU citizens' relatives abroad and their descendants, were not yet known.
'Uncertainty for a year'
Labour's Keir Starmer, the shadow Brexit secretary, said: "Labour has been clear that people should not be bargaining chips in the Brexit negotiations.
"The prime minister's offer is too little too late and falls far short of the full and unilateral guarantee Labour would make."
Giving a "clear commitment" that there would be no change in the status of EU nationals in the UK would help deliver the same deal for UK nationals living in the EU, he added.
Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron said the plans left too many unanswered questions.
"Theresa May could have given a guarantee from day one, instead she has allowed our friends, colleagues and neighbours to live in uncertainty for a year," he said.
"Even now, Theresa May continues to insist on using EU nationals in Britain as bargaining chips and has failed to provide a full and clear right to stay for all."
German Chancellor Angela Merkel told reporters she wanted "the widest possible security guarantees for EU citizens" from the Brexit deal and called the offer "a good start".
She added: "But there are still many many other questions linked to the exit, including on finances and the relationship with Ireland. So we have a lot to do until [the next EU summit in] October."
Both the UK and the rest of the EU say they want to come to an arrangement to secure the status of the 3.2 million EU citizens in the UK and the estimated 1.2 million Britons living in EU countries.
The European Union has said they should continue enjoying the same rights, enforceable by the European Court of Justice.
UK opposition parties had urged the government to make a unilateral guarantee to the EU migrants - but ministers have insisted a reciprocal deal is needed to ensure British expats are protected.
The gathering of 28 EU member states' leaders came the day after measures to enable Brexit dominated the Queen's Speech. Mrs May's Conservatives are still trying to secure the Commons support needed to pass their programme.
Mrs May was not present when the leaders of the remaining 27 EU states held a brief discussion about Brexit after her presentation.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post Today, 01:01pm
Post #2800

Mega City Key Holder
Dear John,

You still haven't answered my question from 19th June, as to how the EH recycling regulations have caused 3 week intervals for refuse disposal in UK, when we have daily collection in Spain.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post Today, 01:30pm
Post #2801

Mega City Key Holder
Would that be the question you ended with this
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 19th Jun 2017, 09:30pm) *
Do not bother responding

Might want to decide whether you want answers or not before making a fool of yourself.

As i do not live in Spain I have no idea why you get daily uplifts, do you pay thousands in cooncil taxes? Is Spain as compliant in its quest to apply EU waste disposal directives like it does with animal rights (bullfighting)? Despite not wanting an answer(then)I gave you the link to the Landfill directive brought in to lower non recyclable waste. Businesses as well as councils have to pay a tax on tonnage of waste dumped, this has forced cooncils to reduce bin collections and in returned forced residents to recycle like a hippie on speed. I now have 4 different wheelie bins clumped together up the side of my house (with the neighbours across from them) where before I had one. Each one, bar food/garden waste, gets uplifted every 3 weeks. Thankfully in my street people bring theirs in but there are areas where the residents dont because they have nowhere to stow them or they're just lazy, either way the streets look like slums with hundreds of them lined up on pavements.

But hey lets not talk about May offering a very sensible solution thats got the up on the Eurocrats and had them criticising while offering nothing in return. cool.gif

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post Today, 02:00pm
Post #2802

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 25th Jun 2017, 03:30pm) *
Would that be the question you ended with this

Might want to decide whether you want answers or not before making a fool of yourself.

As i do not live in Spain I have no idea why you get daily uplifts, do you pay thousands in cooncil taxes? Is Spain as compliant in its quest to apply EU waste disposal directives like it does with animal rights (bullfighting)? Despite not wanting an answer(then)I gave you the link to the Landfill directive brought in to lower non recyclable waste. Businesses as well as councils have to pay a tax on tonnage of waste dumped, this has forced cooncils to reduce bin collections and in returned forced residents to recycle like a hippie on speed. I now have 4 different wheelie bins clumped together up the side of my house (with the neighbours across from them) where before I had one. Each one, bar food/garden waste, gets uplifted every 3 weeks. Thankfully in my street people bring theirs in but there are areas where the residents dont because they have nowhere to stow them or they're just lazy, either way the streets look like slums with hundreds of them lined up on pavements.

As usual you cannot answer the point rationally and resort to abuse, both of Spain and of me. I do not require a lecture on the abysmal refuse systems employed in UK, as I am fairly familiar with them, although it would be impossible to keep up with the various set-ups in different areas. We once had a bin, a basket and various bags, and woe betide you, if you put anything in the wrong container. I once had Christmas cards not uplifted because the card was " too thick" ! How much thinner can a card be? At the local bottle bank, there were separate receptacles for clear, brown, and blue/green glass - I have personally seen the truck loading them all together. Unlike you, I am fully aware of the system here, and am able to make comparisons. Just for your information, although I'm sure you will twist the facts to suit yourself, my council tax is a small fraction of what I paid in Scotland before I left 10 years ago.

I am truly sorry for all the UK citizens who have to put up with the state of affairs you describe so well, but that is most definitely not the fault of the EU. The Spanish have certainly complied with EU directives and they have eminently more sensible solutions to the recycling problem, than having multi-bins outside each residence or place of business.

--------------------

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post Today, 03:20pm
Post #2803

Mega City Key Holder

You asked me why I hadn't replied to a question you told me not to reply to, that is making yourself look a fool and pointing it out is not abuse. Even then I did reply to it and gave you the link to the EU landfill directive that explains it, again not abuse. Pointing out the barbaric treatment Spain dishes out to animals for fun is also not abuse, bull fighting and chucking live goats from towers would get you a jail term here but hey I'm all for peoples own cultures in their own land, as long as it stays there.

You moved away ten years ago then you are not fully aware of the BS we have to adhere to when it comes to bin collections, if you put a bag of grass cuttings in your non recyclables it will not get uplifted. Glass and plastic are not separated, paper as well as card get one bin, previously they would not pick up card but they changed that when they took a bin collection off us..Kind aint they . Its not enough though, the ES.N.P councilors promised to increase recycling if they 'won', they didn't but formed a coalition with SLabour to keep the tories oot(yet greet aboot Aberdeen??) so we're sitting here waiting for the next venture being forced on us, they have all those electric vehicles to pay for after all.

I have no idea why your cooncil tax is so low, nuffink to do with Spain being a net beneficiary of the EU I'm sure

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post

187 Pages V  « < 185 186 187
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.