Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reg Mckay - Adopted Glaswegian, For anyone with stories about the man behind the pen
wee davy
post 10th Jan 2010, 09:46pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Reg Mckay, former columnist for the Daily Record, passed away recently, as many of you will know - although he wasnt 'born within the sound of the doo's' so to speak - he will no doubt be remembered for his last few months here on Earth - bravely soldiering on with his 'Cancer Diaries'.
[attachment=20400:Reg_20Mc..._130x200.jpg]
Never having read any of his true crime books I decided to read one and although exactly 'looking forward to the next one' doesnt seem appropriate to the subject matter - I will most defintely read some of his other 10 volumes, ... if not them all.

Reg was a Humanist, ... but he checked out in a fine example of how to behave like a Christian. (and yes,... you CAN be BOTH before anyone corrects me smile.gif

I think he knew exactly what he was doing with his 'diaries' of his last days - and he understood how much solace, empathy, love & warmth he was generating by describing in great detail, what it was like,... not just for him - but for do many people out there.

So, ... if anyone out there has something nice to say - funny - happy or sad - maybe even a little 'bruising' (he would like that particularly, I'm sure) then please add to this Topic.
He was everything a Glaswegian is,... and more.

God rest his soul.[attachment=20400:Reg_20Mc..._130x200.jpg]

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Gerry McKay*
post 10th Feb 2010, 12:38am
Post #2

I am sure that Reg would be very proud to be seen as an 'Adopted Glaswegian' - however, he never thought of himself as anything else. He loved this city and its people.

I thank you for your kind words and know that Reg would thank you too. Every night I raise a toast to my wonderful husband - I hope you will too.

Kindest Regards

Gerry xx

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 12th Feb 2010, 11:53pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Gerry
Ive worked it out!
The number you picked up, refers to the number of views - not posts.
Whew - it was buggin' me, as I was wondering why I hadn't got any notifications!!
I would be honoured if you would like to post something here yourself.
Just use the green reply buttons above.
Welcome to the GGboards - there are some fine people in here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tarzan
post 29th Jul 2011, 01:18pm
Post #4

Visitor
Member No.: 3,432
QUOTE (wee davy @ 10th Jan 2010, 11:32pm) *
Reg Mckay, former columnist for the Daily Record, passed away recently, as many of you will know - although he wasnt 'born within the sound of the doo's' so to speak - he will no doubt be remembered for his last few months here on Earth - bravely soldiering on with his 'Cancer Diaries'.
[attachment=20400:Reg_20Mc..._130x200.jpg]
Never having read any of his true crime books I decided to read one and although exactly 'looking forward to the next one' doesnt seem appropriate to the subject matter - I will most defintely read some of his other 10 volumes, ... if not them all.

Reg was a Humanist, ... but he checked out in a fine example of how to behave like a Christian. (and yes,... you CAN be BOTH before anyone corrects me smile.gif

I think he knew exactly what he was doing with his 'diaries' of his last days - and he understood how much solace, empathy, love & warmth he was generating by describing in great detail, what it was like,... not just for him - but for do many people out there.

So, ... if anyone out there has something nice to say - funny - happy or sad - maybe even a little 'bruising' (he would like that particularly, I'm sure) then please add to this Topic.
He was everything a Glaswegian is,... and more.

God rest his soul.[attachment=20400:Reg_20Mc..._130x200.jpg]

I suppose this would be classed as "bruising" but the only sample of Mr Mackay's "literary" oevre I've seen is his "ghosting" of Paul Ferris's bloody awful whitewashed memoirs.
I know you can't really complain about a tabloid journalist taking money from wherever it is offered and not caring about what lies have to be spread, but I'm afraid it doesn't leave a high opinion of the man.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 29th Jul 2011, 02:36pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
One's opinion of ANY man, is influenced by many things,... not least which end of the microscope you care to use,... or indeed comparisons/yardsticks.

My comments were based upon his extremely poignant, extraordinarily frank description, of what it is like, to suffer the late stages of a terminal illness, in his cancer diaries.

If you haven't read them, may I suggest you do, tarzan.
(you will find them in the daily record archives)
Whether or not he was of dubious morals (from a journalistic perspective) I am certainly not qualified to comment upon. There's one thing for sure,.. it won't be possible for you to drag him before a parliamentary committee!

Of course, I guess the subject matter of his work would've created enemies.
It takes a very brave or stupid man to write about such things in the first place - I know which impression I shall be left with.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fourbytwo
post 29th Jul 2011, 07:51pm
Post #6

Resident
Member No.: 665
I simply remember the man as "human' and as a fellow member of the Social Work, always enjoyed his casual approach to officialdom...even to stop what he was saying to open his tin and begin to roll a fag, but still alert enough to jump-in should the discussion start to deteriorate......quite a guy...!

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.