Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can School Uniform Counter X Factor?, Glasgow academic calls for traditional values
Elma
post 4th Jan 2011, 11:31pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I think you are right about the make-up, angel. On my 16th birthday I got a whole set of make-up by Yardley (remember them) as my mother said that if I was going to be wearing make-up, at least it should be good stuff smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 5th Jan 2011, 03:24am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (angel @ 4th Jan 2011, 10:55pm) *
... I for one am very thankful that my role as a parent is over and very happy just to be a grandma.

It Aint, Angel.
My daughter (45 this month ) left a message on-line for me to get Skype back in action (new pc) then she called me Skyped the night before Hogmanay.
My baby takes every thing life throws;and throws it back - ever since the first boy whacked her legs with a garden cane as a kid and I told what her choices were and she went back and decked him.
Now I'm sat in front of the monitor and I've got my baby full screen ... and the tears are running down her cheeks. She's had enough.
We talked for a couple of hours but I had a very weak signal ... sometimes down to 2mb before I lost the signal and had to reconnect a few times before it went altogether.
Then I sat there; in the middle of Europe, and my baby needs her daddy and she's near the Lincolnshire coast and it's about three thirty in the morning of Hogmanay.
So I text my youngest daughter; 8 years between them, and told her that her big sister is deeply depressed and asked her if she could get out to her in the car.
"Now?"
"Are you busy?"
"Yeah, dad; gettin' dressed. We'll bring her over to us."
"Her dogs?"
"We'll put ours in the kitchen; they'll be allright".
Me and my oldest were on Skype tonight again until 2330 (UK)
She's fine. We had a good talk tonight and she's ok.
She still has her problem but she will handle that as she's always done,
She just needed a shoulder to cry on and the only person in the world that she can do this with, is her daddy ... and he was too far away.

I know you didn't mean it literally Angel, not for a second, but the roll of parent goes on and there're times when it's just like when they were wee.
She showed me the picture that she wants me to paint for her; Fern taking a fence, ... I showed her the canvasses I have ... not big enough; she wants 30"x40". So I'll get one in. wink.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
angel
post 5th Jan 2011, 04:34am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
It's so true Tomi ,, "a problem shared is a problem halved' and it was good that you were able to be in contact with your daughter, she now
probably feels not so all alone and more capable of coping.
there are times when most of us wish we had our parents, when life gets a bit tough. anyway Tomi I hope all goes well for her.
Now as far as my parenting is concerned rolleyes.gif ,I'm delighted not to be raising teens, in this day and age, although my grand children are teenagers I am only to glad to love em and leave em with their parents, as I tell them often,..." that's where they belong." and of course you are quite right, parenting never stops .
ps .. Happy painting biggrin.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
weeshuggie
post 7th Jan 2011, 12:07am
Post #34

City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,392
I remember about 5 years ago trying to get the kids to use skype as they were hammering the phone bills, alas it was a no as the oldest declared I don't want you listening to my conversations. I had the headphones and mikes sitting there so would hardly have heard anything and certainly not interested in what the next neanderthal wanted to discuss wae ma weans.

The oldest, back fae uni, her laptop went kaput, bought her a new wan and it declares, can you put skype on it for me. Turns oot skype already installed. So when it moved oot it found no one would pay her bills so phone on the cheap, she learned tae use skype. Why are these young wans no as clever as they think they are.

Is it just a case that certain items or brands are accepted or not accepted by our kids. What was ok for me 5/10 years ago is now acceptable to kids, are we the trend setters. I never looked on skype as being a trend setter, it was purely Scottish genes, get it for bugger all.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 7th Jan 2011, 01:00am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Goin' back to when computers meant you could play tennis in the living room my wife bought one of those locks that you could put onto the phone to stop the oldest kid from runnin' up bills. When we were goin' out for the night I convinced her to put the lock into the "zero" slot in case the kids needed to dial 999 ... which she always did rolleyes.gif
Kids loved their dad biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 12th Jun 2011, 12:01pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Is it high time that hem lines were lowered in school dress?

Item from the "Sunday Mail" today.

HEADTEACHERS across Scotland are cracking down on uniforms this summer after girls' hemlines climbed higher than ever last year.

Secondary schools have revealed tough new rules to smarten up pupils and stop girls wearing tight-fittting minis to class.

And heads have written to parents warning them that children will be sent home if they do not obey strict new dress codes.

Schools in Oban, Berwickshire, Perthshire, East Renfrewshire and Glasgow have launched a new offensive, with teachers admitting that girls' ever-shortening skirts triggered the clampdown.

Peter Bain, head teacher of Oban High, who introduced a new school uniform in 2009, recently sent a newsletter to parents urging them to make sure their daughters were dressed appropriately.

In it, he said: "If we find pupils without a tie, they are given a tie. If we find a girl with cleavage or thighs exposed, we will work with parents to dress them appropriately."

Are we just old fuddie-duddies or should school dress codes be enforced?

Spot the difference.

Attached Image
Attached Image

"There is recent evidence in south Glasgow of adults photographing schoolgirls in short skirts, then grooming them on the internet." It is believed the crackdown was introduced after paedophile Barry McCluskey, 39, posed as a schoolgirl to prey on vulnerable youngsters online.

The former nurse targeted 49 girls from his home in King's Park, Glasgow, between 2007 and 2010.

"As well as looking smart, school uniform ensures that school time doesn't turn into a fashion contest in which expensive designer labels become all-important.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/editors-...86908-23196590/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 12th Jun 2011, 01:22pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Spot the difference.

Aye wan lassie is blonde and the other is ginger:p

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 12th Jun 2011, 01:59pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
I don't see the problem wit a little discrete fashion and individualism in school as long as it is not taken to extremes or is just plain gross out.

Why is it some shallow minded folks have a mindset that a lassie wearing a short skirt is "asking for it." What rubbish a lassie should be able to wear what she wants without being termed a tease.

I ken many lassies that like to dress up because it makes them feel good about themselves, just like a good hair do it boosts their confidence and feeling of well being. Same with us blokes without the dress bit, well maybe not in some cases these days.

In my time t'was petticoats, slips an the like. Class and refinement, ye look at the way some dress so dowdy it's enough to make a red blooded male run a mile the other way.

Leggings and a shortish skirt ain't that bad not like they are showing off their school issue gym knickers like they did in the good auld days.

Standards eh?

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 12th Jun 2011, 02:22pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I saw those picture's in the newspapers today and the red haired girl said her skirt was mid- thigh, who is she kidding. It would need another 2/3 inches in length to make her skirt mid-thigh.

I think knee length skirts would be more appropriate for school wear.
Mini skirts, plunge necklines, tight dresses and makeup are for outwith school hours.
So I'm old fashioned. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 12th Jun 2011, 03:45pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
I have to agree Heather,school next to me is now like a fashion show every day and Im sure it doesnt help concentration.The school has indicated that for the new term all students should wear a blazer.I dont know if this goes far enough as far as the females are concerned .I think knee length would be more appropriate and the fun styles for the weekend.

+Quote Post
benny
post 12th Jun 2011, 05:01pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 12th Jun 2011, 03:07pm) *
. . .Why is it some shallow minded folks have a mindset that a lassie wearing a short skirt is "asking for it." What rubbish a lassie should be able to wear what she wants without being termed a tease. . . .

Facing facts isn't being "shallow minded", and it's a fact that most human males - especially young human males - are sexually aroused by women, or girls, wearing skimpy gear. There's a time and a place for everything. If females on the randan want to wear revealing clothes, that's wan thing, but a night on the town's a different thing from a day in the classroom, and the classroom isn't the place for a fashion show.

Ye come across this "women should be able to wear what they want" statement all the time, and it's true - within reason. Just as it's true to say I should be able to walk down the street in the wee hours of the morning wi 20 notes overflowin frae ma pockets (ah should be so lucky). In theory, aye, but in practice anybody who did so and wis mugged could hardly say they were blameless.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 12th Jun 2011, 06:13pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Benny I think you have brought right into the open the crux of the matter.It is natural for young people who are at their sexual peak to be charged up all the time and school isnt really the place for this sort of atmosphere which is in my opinion what is created when young females dress provocatively.
I have no doubt that young ladies do put themselves in harms way for the sake of fashion.
I would like to add that Im in no way against sexual liberation for any gender but feel that young immature school pupils do require guidance.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 12th Jun 2011, 06:43pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
I would not have dared to wear even the palest lipstick to school, not that I had any to wear, but I had a sister who was four years older than me and if I had used her makeup she would have bashed me.

I was not allowed to wear makeup until after I had left school.
We were given Lines or the belt if we did not wear our school uniform.

I nearly got thrown off a bus going home from school one day.
I was sitting at the back of the bus doing my homework when a boy pinched my school hat off my head and him a few others passed it back and forward to each other. I lost my temper and hit the boy just as the usherette came up the stairs to find out what all the noise was about and she blamed me for the carry on.
So even a girls school hat can send the boys wild never mind a mini skirt. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 12th Jun 2011, 06:58pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Heather very valid points.Can you tell me as a matterof interest what bus that was you were on with the usherette.Did she have a torch? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Heather
post 12th Jun 2011, 07:17pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
What do you mean by, " did she have a torch ". wub.gif

It was the 42 bus. I got it from the town to Barlanark a 30 minute journey, that's why I always started doing my homework on the bus.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.