Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

85 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Asylum Seekers Face Glasgow Exodus, Breakdown in government deal causes crisis
jcjamieson
post 15th Nov 2010, 07:09pm
Post #31

Settling In
Member No.: 1,360
QUOTE (droschke7 @ 15th Nov 2010, 10:16am) *
Surely the point of this is that they are "Asylum Seekers" and therefore haven't yet been given Asylum? We don't know how many of these people really need asylum or are just Financial Asylum Seekers. Surely Charity begins at home? As a disabled ex Serviceman, in Winter, I often have to choose between eating and heating, so for me to hear no complaints about that but an uproar about "Asylum Seekers" and that the Government is increasing international aid to Middle Eastern Countries that are training and Funding the Terrorists killing people all over the World, is a real slap in the Face. I'm almost being treated as a criminal by the Benefits Agency's (and I know of Many others in the same position) and no one complains, but when they want to move a couple of "Asylum Seekers" to another part of Scotland there is a Public outcry. Thanks guys.

I agree with you all the way. I sympathise with you regarding you being an ex serviceman and getting the third degree from from the benefits agency. The money that could be so wisely spent helping our wounded troops and helping the people in the UK, who really need it, is being sent to terrorist groups, funding phoney asylum seekers and dishing it out to illegal immigrants!
We know ,but how long will it be before the politicians get their noses out of the trough and stop funding these mobs?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 15th Nov 2010, 08:08pm
Post #32

Advocates of multiculturalism are destroying western civilization all over the world. Asylum seekers prepared to "fit-in" to western democracies should be welcomed. Others should be seen for what they are. Merkel just admitted this in Germany that multiculturalism doesn't work and ultimately destroys societies.

+Quote Post
*John Todd*
post 15th Nov 2010, 08:39pm
Post #33

QUOTE (Guest @ 15th Nov 2010, 09:36am) *
Sorry, charity begins at home.

HEAR HEAR. lets start looking after our own before we start taking in others from so called "poor countrys"...!!!

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th Nov 2010, 08:59pm
Post #34

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
An update on this story today:

Phil Taylor, regional director of the UK Border Agency, has said that the agency is working with other housing providers, such as YMCA (now known as Ypeople) and the Angel Group, to ensure asylum seekers are properly accommodated while their asylum claims are considered and court appeals to the are concluded.

Mr Taylor added:
"Letters have been sent to all asylum seekers currently housed by Glasgow City Council, explaining what could happen if they are required to move accommodation and further communication is planned to keep asylum seekers advised of future developments.

We are very hopeful that the majority of the asylum seekers affected by this change of contract will remain in their current accommodation.

If a move to new accommodation is required we will aim to give at least 14 days notice, where possible, and the costs of the move will fall to the new accommodation provider and not to the asylum seekers themselves."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-11756738

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 15th Nov 2010, 09:11pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
An emotive subject .

I have listened to all the arguments for and against and most have raised or stated pertinent questions and comments.

Again I think it is a question of personal conscience.

My position is that we have a duty to look after these people untill they are judged to be genuine or not.

They are given vouchers and money because they are not allowed to work. I believe that most of them want to work.
If we did not give them money and shelter they would starve and or freeze to death. I know that is a simplistic analogy but it is simple truth.

They have a right to buy phones for the same reason we buy them , ie., the need to communicate ,they may not have land lines .This is not a luxury.!

Charlty may very well begin at home but for me it does not end at home.

Did someone not say that between Faith Hope and Charity the greatest is Charity ( I paraphrase )

They have my sympathy and my support.

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
Janetta
post 16th Nov 2010, 12:35am
Post #36

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,740
"Glasgow's Miles Better" - we embrace equality and diversity for all and that's why asylum seekers feel at home here. We should be honoured that different cultures want to be part of our city, and stand with them in their fight to stay in the City of Glasgow!

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 16th Nov 2010, 01:01am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
You took your time there Janetta tongue.gif
Welcome to the boards biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
weebren3
post 16th Nov 2010, 04:42am
Post #38

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,440
I forgot to say,I agree about the goverment,it is all to do with getting votes too during elections. I will add why give them false hope,when glasgow have so many job cuts.How do we know if they get education they will go back to were they come from and not pay back what was given as freedom,use it to cause harm to others.who is going to pay there rent? the tax payer who is having A hard time living from day to day for food.I would share what I have, but there is A fine line,we must look after our own Country,and by the way I dont believe phones they do not need,buy food,pay rent or work for the coummunity to give back.

+Quote Post
*Bren*
post 16th Nov 2010, 05:45am
Post #39

It is interesting to note that last month councillors in Birmingham stood up and took their own decision to end their city's contract with the UK Border Agency because there was "a long waiting list for homes" and insisting that the city needed all its properties "for our own people".

Why do we never hear such open and honest language from councillors in Glasgow? Why are our councillors so reluctant to stand up for the needs of the city's "own people" when thousands of long-term residents are waiting for decent accommodation in the city they have called home for generations?

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 16th Nov 2010, 09:41am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
QUOTE (Janetta @ 16th Nov 2010, 01:21am) *
"Glasgow's Miles Better" - we embrace equality and diversity for all and that's why asylum seekers feel at home here. We should be honoured that different cultures want to be part of our city, and stand with them in their fight to stay in the City of Glasgow!

I like that Janetta. !!

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
benny
post 16th Nov 2010, 10:47am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (Janetta @ 16th Nov 2010, 01:21am) *

Welcome to the board, Janetta. I can't say that I agree with you though. Like many others on the board, I believe we should look after our own before we attempt to solve the problems of the larger world.

I'm interested to know exactly who the "we" in your statement refers to. Most of the "we"s that I know, are definitely not in favour of having large numbers of asylum seekers plonked down in their locality.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
bigdrew
post 16th Nov 2010, 11:44am
Post #42

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,122
OK let us embrace the Glasgow Smiles Better campaign again.....but remember, when these people come to live in amongst us all, they, and not us have to become part of the overall community.
And oppose with zest, current attempts to form 'communities within communities' creating zones where we, as native Scots feel threatened by going into 'Islam and Muslim areas' and feeling that we had no right to do so......
The Glasgow experience has always been to incorporate all factions and minority groups into our community, but many of these groups are now demanding, and getting, separate living conditions and support suitable to their 'ethnic needs'.
Therefore they will never become full members of the Glasgow Community, as part of their own doctrine is to exclude sections of Scottish culture as 'alien'...
So there will have to be a time when we have to say....."enough is enough"
You left Nigeria under threat, you left Iran under threat, you left wherever under threat, and we helped you.....but that does not mean you can form your own country within this land, and become antagonists within the country that 'saved you from violence or whatever'.
Comments about these people buying phones and having influence after appearing on TV programmes, as being 'the norm' is farcical as the same people would not have the cash or support in their own country to get the same items.
I agree with the ex-serviceman complaining about the Benefits Agency and its processes that tend to stop genuine claimers getting help, at the same time knowing that Support Agencies playing the Race and At Risk card for asylum seekers......get as much from the system as possible...!
Such lop-sided support will eventually lead to trouble and violence, as 'Native Residents' begin to question the entire system, and who gets what is finally brought into the open.....

+Quote Post
**red rooster**
post 16th Nov 2010, 02:00pm
Post #43

Wouldn't it be "right on " and so politically correct if Newton Mearns & Bearsden could be given the chance of embracing a few thousand members of the asylum seeking community, I'm sure it's only fair that they too should enjoy the benefits and life enriching experience that the multicultural paradise of Govanhill enjoys.

I'm sure the warm hearted citizens who are enlightened enough to embrace diversity would be willing to pay a supplement to the council tax to raise money for some nice low cost accommodation, temples, mosques, community centres etc to be built in the aforementioned culturally and diversity challenged areas.

Anyone opposing the idea can receive the ultimate sanction of being branded racist.

Lets spread the goodness and generosity to all areas.

As far as charity begins at home why not allow the at risk and vulnerable members of the sink estate community claim asylum in Newton Mearns.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 16th Nov 2010, 03:51pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I watched a programme on BBC this morning about the 60s and how the decade influenced the future. They showed archive film from 1962 of people reacting to immigrants moving into Brittain with comments like, "they're dirty", "they want to live beside us in our streets", "they don't understand the English way of life", "they're taking our jobs".

Well, we've learned a lot then.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 16th Nov 2010, 06:25pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
There's something all a bit sad and distasteful about this sorry situation.
1500 people being given notice of eviction, just before Christmas? hmmm

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post

85 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.