Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jimmy Reid Dies, Leader of shipyard work-in passes away
Rob Rattray
post 11th Aug 2010, 01:45pm
Post #16

Visitor
Member No.: 7,864
May God shower him with His Glory, RIP Jimmy!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
God Bless
Rob

"SUPER SIDERA VOTUM”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hubert
post 11th Aug 2010, 01:59pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 31
I left Scotland in 1959 and didnt know much about Jimmy Reid, but heard many good things about him.
People like him are the salt of the earth!
I remember in the 70s being downtown San Diego for an arbitration union/management case, I was the chief steward, and I was handed a book about management and the union that was in the building by the union agent he pointed out a paragraph where it said the concept of the shop steward originated on the Clydeside of Scotland.
The downward spiral of working conditions in the USA and elsewhere started when working people turned against the concept of collective bargaining, now look at the mess the world is in.
R.I.P. Jimmy Reid!

+Quote Post
Melody
post 11th Aug 2010, 02:00pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Rest in Peace Jimmy Reid. My condolences to his wife and family. Where are all the men of the caliber of Jimmy Reid and those others in that video these days? We sure need them urgently.

+Quote Post
George Brown
post 11th Aug 2010, 02:14pm
Post #19

Visitor
Member No.: 676
I remember him from that time, a great leader of men, my only regret is that this nation only seems to appreciate the merits of such people, on their death, hopefully a lasting memorial to his being will be established somewhere within the refurbished Govan centre, after all if football stadium can display images of players, why not a token of sorts to someome who prevented mass unemployment and a drop in living standards by keeping a workforce intact.

+Quote Post
fusilier42
post 11th Aug 2010, 02:42pm
Post #20

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,554
Very sad loss for Scotland, the trade union movement and indeed for the few who have stuck by their principles. The world is a lesser place now.

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 11th Aug 2010, 02:57pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
QUOTE (Melody @ 11th Aug 2010, 04:10pm) *
Rest in Peace Jimmy Reid. My condolences to his wife and family. Where are all the men of the caliber of Jimmy Reid and those others in that video these days? We sure need them urgently.

Melody you hit that right on the head. I remeber my grandda saying he was going to that march.

RIP Jimmy,

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
**greta**
post 11th Aug 2010, 03:25pm
Post #22

Another bit of auld Glasgow and Scotland gone. He will always be remembered in this house. A proud man and a true champion of the workers, who can you honestly say that about now. Our condolences to his family. And god bless you Jimmy your heart was pure.

+Quote Post
putnoe60
post 11th Aug 2010, 03:53pm
Post #23

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,373
May you rest in peace, you were a man who tried to do the right thing, to help the working class to fight for what they had and maintain there standards.

+Quote Post
Harrymc
post 11th Aug 2010, 04:02pm
Post #24

Special Visitor
Member No.: 5,658
RIP Jimmy Reid,a true man of the people. What a shame some of today's so called leaders don't have his panache, dignity, style and integrity allied to a true understanding of what is valuable to working people.

New Labour and the current incumbents of the Trades Unions top jobs are self aggrandising PYGMIES beside a man of such stature.

Goodbye and thank you for a life well lived.

+Quote Post
Lanarklad
post 11th Aug 2010, 04:14pm
Post #25

Settling In
Member No.: 7,273
The friend of man, the friend of truth,
The friend of age and guide of youth,
Few hearts like his - with virtue warm'd
Few heads with knowledge so informed:
If there's another world, he lives in bliss:
If there is none, he made the best of this.
R Burns

+Quote Post
GG
post 11th Aug 2010, 04:55pm
Post #26

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Below is an extract from Jimmy Reid's inaugural speech as rector of Glasgow University in 1972. In the face of today's relentless and disproportionately cruel Tory cuts, his words have never been more topical, nor more needed:

" ... A rat race is for rats. We're not rats. We're human beings. Reject the insidious pressures in society that would blunt your critical faculties to all that is happening around you, that would caution silence in the face of injustice lest you jeopardise your chances of promotion and self-advancement.

This is how it starts, and, before you know where you are, you're a fully paid-up member of the rat pack. The price is too high. It entails the loss of your dignity and human spirit.

Or as Christ puts it ‘What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?'"

RIP Jimmy.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Melody
post 11th Aug 2010, 05:12pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Isn't that the truth Martin. Workers today are being completely trampled upon as never before in my experience.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 11th Aug 2010, 06:16pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
The trouble is, Melody, that sometimes the people doing the trampling are your fellow workers.

We've lost a true class act, a man unafraid to stand up, not for himself, but for his fellow worker.

Rest in Peace Jimmy, you were, and remain, a legend.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Elizabeth H
post 11th Aug 2010, 06:22pm
Post #29

Settling In
Member No.: 5,577
I was travelling to Rothsay a couple of years ago and saw him on the train, I spoke to him, and we travelled the rest of the journey on the ferry together, what an interesting, intelligent, engaging person with no air's or graces. As we were coming into Rothsay he pointed out his house on the hill, and told us how he watched the world go by from his upstairs window, which was also the best place to watch for the Dolphin's swimming in the bay, also what a wonderful housekeeper he had who was so kind and attentive to him. Glad to have met him.

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 11th Aug 2010, 06:55pm
Post #30

City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,432
No bevvying! way to go Jimmy. R.I.P.

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.