Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jimmy Reid Dies, Leader of shipyard work-in passes away
GG
post 11th Aug 2010, 09:08am
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
The man who helped deny the Tory government's brutal attempts to close the Upper Clyde Shipbuilders in 1971, Jimmy Reid, has died at the age of 78. Mr Reid, a former trade union shop steward, famously led a successful work-in at the troubled shipyard as an alternative to strike action.

The work-in allowed workers to manage UCS long enough to thwart the Tory government's decision to close the Clyde yard, a policy which would have meant 6,000 of the 8,500 shipyard workers employed would have been made redundant immediately, decimating family life for tens of thousands of people across the west of Scotland.

During the work-in Mr Reid made a famous speech to workers in which he told them:

"We are not going to strike. We are not even having a sit-in strike.

Nobody and nothing will come in and nothing will go out without our permission. And there will be no hooliganism, there will be no vandalism, there will be no bevvying because the world is watching us."

The campaign to keep the shipyard open, organised with fellow shop-stewards Jimmy Airlie and Sammy Barr, attracted worldwide media attention and gained popular public support. Fundraising events by workers and celebrities including John Lennon and Billy Connolly raised enough funds to maintain the action until the Ted Heath-led government back-tracked in February 1972, agreeing to keep two yards and sell off a third.

Mr Reid went on to become a renowned journalist and broadcaster, winning two Bafta awards for his Reid About the USSR documentary series.

Mr Reid leaves his wife, Joan, three daughters and three grandchildren.

Matt McGinn - Wi' Jimmy Reid and Airlie

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stratson
post 11th Aug 2010, 09:38am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Very sorry to learn of Jimmy Reid's passing.

Had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy in the 70's travelling by train from London to Glasgow.

I greatly admired his principles.,,,,,Rest in Peace Jimmy.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 11th Aug 2010, 09:54am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
I too am saddened to hear of Jimmy Reids death. He will always be remembered as someone who stood up for the working man in Scotland. A sad loss for our country.

+Quote Post
Alex Saville
post 11th Aug 2010, 10:32am
Post #4

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,890
Scotland has lost a son of the people.
Unlike modern day Trade Union Officials, he did not sell out the working folks to Blair, Brown and New Labour, those clones of the Tory Party.
Jimmy Reid will be sadly missed. Condolences to his family. They should, however, take pride in what a great man he was, a great man of the people!
Alex

+Quote Post
**robbie**
post 11th Aug 2010, 11:04am
Post #5

R.I.P. Jimmy.

Glasgow, Scotland and the people have lost a true champion.

+Quote Post
**klingon**
post 11th Aug 2010, 11:27am
Post #6

Another bit of Glasgows past gone -- RIP Jimmy!

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 11th Aug 2010, 11:50am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
Jimmy Reid a true working class champion never bent the knee to no man, be it high heed yin at fairfield or government flunky.

True champion of the people, a credit tae the human race, what mair can ah say, there will never be another wan like Jimmy they threw awie the mold, like irn bru made oot o girders or good Ravenscraig steel.

ST PETER hope yer good at negotiations gone but never forgotten.

+Quote Post
clyderunner1
post 11th Aug 2010, 11:51am
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,572
The US of A could have used 500 of the Mr. Reid's in Washington, D. C. (all tories) but try to act like they are working stiffs "FRIENDS",

God rest Mr. Reid!

The Virginian

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 11th Aug 2010, 12:04pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Auldbutcher, Ive said my piece but youve said it all.

Joop.

+Quote Post
norriep
post 11th Aug 2010, 12:08pm
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,152
My condolences to Joan, Eileen, Shona and Julie. I am sure they are as proud as they should be of Jimmy and all he did for workers.

The working man sorely needs Jimmy Reid or another like him (as if there ever could) to stand up against the current attacks on pay and conditions. We need a "Spartacus" moment to halt the cuts to pay and conditons, pension rights and benefits. We should all say "I am Jimmy Reid!" and follow his lead.

+Quote Post
**Helpmaboab**
post 11th Aug 2010, 12:10pm
Post #11

The world has lost a true man of passion. I will never forget his 'Rats' speech of the 70s. There should be a procession through the streets of Govan. RIP Mr Reid.

+Quote Post
**annah**
post 11th Aug 2010, 12:31pm
Post #12

Eternal Rest Jimmy

+Quote Post
*Provan Lass*
post 11th Aug 2010, 01:07pm
Post #13

I knew Jimmy Reid when he was the General Secretary of the YCL in the mid 60's.

A true man of the people and Jimmy never forgot his Country or his roots. A True Fighter for his cause, "THE WORKING CLASS PEOPLE OF SCOTLAND."

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 11th Aug 2010, 01:08pm
Post #14

Sorry to hear this news. Regards to Jimmy's family and friends.

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 11th Aug 2010, 01:21pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Sorry to hear of Jimmy Reids death, all the work force were to be praised, its a pity that in the long run the yard closed. Very little is left of the yard to show there was ever one there.
RIP Jimmy
Norrie

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.