Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

340 Pages V  « < 338 339 340  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uk Independence Referendum - Brexit, Yes or No on EU membership
Rating 3 V
TeeHeeHee
post 16th Nov 2019, 01:39am
Post #5086

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
This must be the Nighthawks' Edition unsure.gif
(It's 2am and I've just come back from walking the dog on his midnight runaround)

Things changed when conscription ended, Danny: the world moved on: a 2 year initial contract was signed prior to `square bashing' and was extended after trade training to three on being posted to one's squadron with the option of 5 (desired) after ataing the rank of senior aircraftsman (SAC). These were not long term engageements.
National Servive billets and modern day quarters are worlds apart and bore no resemblance to your memories.
I'm not tryting to tell you anything about what other drivers do regarding the Highway Code. I only pointed out what the law requires.
Your opinions on Macron or NATO are just that, your opinion: I'm not trying to tell you anything.
My opinion, for what that is worth, is that thre EU 's CSDP will account for the defence of Europe as such. The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation will do what NATO does as the treaty demands or legislates.
Let's not say `50 years from now' since that is worthless speculation.
Britain will leave the EU to all intent and purpose and speculation about Scotland being over run by foreign nationals is a racist comment by today's standards: do you know that there are more than 10 million Campbells living worldwide? There aree more people of Scottish heritage living worldwide than thee population of Great Britain including all of its foreign nationals.
Britain's contribution to the EU defence can only be measured against its depleted Army, Navy and Airforce, as you must be aware. The EU will not fall beecause of Brexit. Gaps will have to be filled and they will be. The UK may be missed, for a while, but the world keeps turning and life goes on.
Any way, once Scotland gets her way and becomes a member state of the European Union, Macron will put on a big party Vive L'Ecosse remember The Auld Alliancee.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 16th Nov 2019, 08:42am
Post #5087

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (wombat @ 15th Nov 2019, 08:43am) *
NAW laugh.gif

laugh.gif Wom, ye huv a way of expressin' yersel' succunctly laugh.gif

That aul' Tommy Kennedy brocht ye up weel tongue.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
carmella
post 16th Nov 2019, 08:49am
Post #5088

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I wonder what Tommy Kennedy would have made of all of this. I wish he was still around, would have been interesting.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 16th Nov 2019, 10:57am
Post #5089

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 16th Nov 2019, 01:39am) *
This must be the Nighthawks' Edition :unsure:
(It's 2am and I've just come back from walking the dog on his midnight runaround)

Things changed when conscription ended, Danny: the world moved on: a 2 year initial contract was signed prior to `square bashing' and was extended after trade training to three on being posted to one's squadron with the option of 5 (desired) after ataing the rank of senior aircraftsman (SAC). These were not long term engageements.
National Servive billets and modern day quarters are worlds apart and bore no resemblance to your memories.
I'm not tryting to tell you anything about what other drivers do regarding the Highway Code. I only pointed out what the law requires.
Your opinions on Macron or NATO are just that, your opinion: I'm not trying to tell you anything.
My opinion, for what that is worth, is that thre EU 's CSDP will account for the defence of Europe as such. The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation will do what NATO does as the treaty demands or legislates.
Let's not say `50 years from now' since that is worthless speculation.
Britain will leave the EU to all intent and purpose and speculation about Scotland being over run by foreign nationals is a racist comment by today's standards: do you know that there are more than 10 million Campbells living worldwide? There aree more people of Scottish heritage living worldwide than thee population of Great Britain including all of its foreign nationals.
Britain's contribution to the EU defence can only be measured against its depleted Army, Navy and Airforce, as you must be aware. The EU will not fall beecause of Brexit. Gaps will have to be filled and they will be. The UK may be missed, for a while, but the world keeps turning and life goes on.
Any way, once Scotland gets her way and becomes a member state of the European Union, Macron will put on a big party Vive L'Ecosse remember The Auld Alliancee.

Hello Tomi

Thank you for your well thought out reply. Let me start by saying that I think you and I would have got on well together if we had ever made contact with each other.

You obviously are aware that you and I can’t keep going on and on with our exchanges if for no other reason that it would be very time consuming. So I will just concentrate on your comment regarding the number of people living abroad who have Scottish ancestry, because that supports my argument. You are agreeing with my forecast!!!

This is exactly my concern regarding the long term future of Scotland. If we go back to 1492 when Columbus ‘discovered’ America, that was only a blink of an eye away in terms of the millions of years which have passed since this planet came into being.

So in that small time frame of approximately 500 years, look at what we Europeans have done to the indigenous people throughout the world. My argument is that if we live in a Europe where there are no border controls regarding the movement of people, then history will repeat itself. That is, we the ‘indigenous’ people of Scotland will be the minority.

You claim that 50 years from now is worthless speculation. Well my response to that is, if you haven’t learned anything from the past history of the world, then I have. You and I will be long gone by that time. I just hope some history student will stumble across our posts 50 years from now, and says, “You know what, that old beggar was right”. I wonder which one of us he/she will be referring to?

One of the things which get to me is that the term ‘racist’ is used against people like me. This is a cheap jibe. An easy way out of having a reasoned debate. This forum lacks proper debate because from the time the result of the EU referendum was announced, a few people on here have taken over the topic and woe betide anyone who wants to leave the EU. I do not include you as being a member of that gang, although I do acknowledge that you think I am a racist.

I lived in a multi cultural society in Canada as a youngster during World War 2. Our neighbours to one side were Serbian and Polish on the other. The school I attended had children whose parents came from all over Europe. There was only one true Canadian in the school. Sadly, wee Claude Vardy was killed in Korea. In short, I lived in a multi cultural country which had controlled immigration. There was just one thing missing. The indigenous population had no say in who could or could not come into ‘their ‘ country. Funny old world, isn’t it?

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post
wombat
post 16th Nov 2019, 07:29pm
Post #5090

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
wink.gif

rolleyes.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 16th Nov 2019, 09:41pm
Post #5091

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884
QUOTE (DannyH @ 16th Nov 2019, 10:57am) *
You obviously are aware that you and I can’t keep going on and on with our exchanges if for no other reason that it would be very time consuming.

I can't agree with a word you write, nevertheless your immense life experience and your well earned perspective is an invaluable resource to younger generations like mine.

We don't get to hear enough stories like yours, usually because you guys don't talk about it for good reason. But on here you are emboldened to do so, and so you should.

So thanks, Danny.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post Y'day, 09:49am
Post #5092

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 16th Nov 2019, 09:41pm) *
I can't agree with a word you write, nevertheless your immense life experience and your well earned perspective is an invaluable resource to younger generations like mine.

We don't get to hear enough stories like yours, usually because you guys don't talk about it for good reason. But on here you are emboldened to do so, and so you should.

So thanks, Danny.

Hello Kemedian

Thank you for your kind words.

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post Y'day, 09:56am
Post #5093

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
We don't get to hear enough stories like yours, usually because you guys don't talk about it for good reason.

What?

Danny talks about nothing else. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
DannyH
post Y'day, 10:07am
Post #5094

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (carmella @ 16th Nov 2019, 08:49am) *
I wonder what Tommy Kennedy would have made of all of this. I wish he was still around, would have been interesting.

Hi Carmella

I share your wish regarding Tommy. I am not suggesting for a moment that he would agree with my views on this topic. However he was of the same generation as me, and it would have been interesting to know what his thoughts were.

I have tried to find the National Service topic which I am sure he started, but I haven’t been able to locate it. I remember that although he was a small man, he was known in his family as Big Tommy. This was because he was the eldest.

I also think he mentioned serving in Trieste during the troubles there between Italy and Yugoslavia. If memory is correct, he was badly injured during his time there.

It is a small world. His family home was just a few hundred yards from mine, and even closer to the Secondary school I went to. We must have passed each other in the street at some time in the past.

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post
wombat
post Y'day, 05:50pm
Post #5095

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
We don't get to hear enough stories like yours,

So thanks, Danny.

rolleyes.gif could you repeat that plz laugh.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post

340 Pages V  « < 338 339 340
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Nov 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.