Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fare Thee Well Auld Pal
Catherine
post 7th Jun 2007, 02:23pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
It's with a lot of sadness, brushed with hilarious memories, that I have to pass on the news I received this morning guys.

Our Archie Millar passed away peacefully on March of this year after a long illness.
For those of us lucky enough to have met him personally, he brought fun and laughter wherever he went......and for those lucky enough to know him through his posts, I think we'd all agree he didnae miss an hit the wa' with his words wherever he went either biggrin.gif

I think for me one of the funniest roles Archie played on the Boards was the Topic where he was the stockroom manager and Melody was forever oan his case for bein late for work........jist stupid imaginary fun that I know got him through many depressing days of treatments ahead.

His one liner at the bottom of every post.....I'm still standing.....never failed to make me laugh out loud each time I read it, but that's who Archie was to me, never minced his words about anything, himself included.

I feel very privelaged to have known both Archie and Nora, his wife, personally.
I first met him and Nora, on the first Big Meet in Glasgow in 2003....where he walked in with a tartan bunnet and boiler suit..which he claimed was an Armani remember that wan Alan laugh.gif

Even though he was sick then, they both enjoyed every moment of that Meet, from the Horseshoe, to the Peoples Palace, then Tiger Tiger.
Nora just raised her eyebrows whenever he went on one of his daft rants, they had the instinct of knowing what the other was about to say or do before they did it, such a great couple to be around.

I've hunted the Boards this morning looking for the Topic of when they came to Canada and surprised us all at our first Meet here, but I couldn't find it.
They both breezed in whilst we were all blethering at the table, and Archie got such a kick out of surprising us all, as did we.
It was a great night and I'm sure many reading here who were there will also have great stories to tell of him.
Archie was a special type of person that once you met you never forgot.

Below is his Obituary that I'm sure many will appreciate as I did.
Thanks Marg for letting us know.

MILLAR.

On March 14 2007, peacefully at St. Michael's Hospice, Archie of Holmer, aged 71 years.
Beloved Husband of Norah and much loved Father of Kenneth and Graham.
Funeral Service at Holmer Church on Friday March 23 at 12 noon, followed by cremation.
Family flowers only, donations if desired to Cancer Research UK and St. Michael's Hospice may be sent to Bayley Brothers (Hereford) Ltd., 17/19 Cotterell Street, Hereford. HR4 0HH

Rest in Peace Archie, you can sit down now my friend, I'll miss you.

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marion Niven Dou...
post 7th Jun 2007, 02:45pm
Post #2

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,715
Catherine thanks for passing on the news. I am sooo sorry, poor Norah. I never met them but loved his posts on the board,
May he rest in peace

+Quote Post
Avril
post 7th Jun 2007, 03:00pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
So very sad Catherine, I never knew Archie but he sounded like a great character with a real gift for lighting up a room with happiness and making people smile. My heart goes out to his wife Norah, after having such a lively cheerful man in her life for so long, she must be feeling like a big part of her is missing. RIP Archie X

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 7th Jun 2007, 03:18pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
aww may oor archie rest in peace and he is in no more pain my thoughts go to the family and his wee dogs as him and nora adored them a can see him with his pint in his hand at the horseshoe bar with nora in tow i cant download his picture and its frustrating please look in gg meet 2006 and he was very funny man

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Java
post 7th Jun 2007, 03:34pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
I was fortunate enough to meet Archie and Norah, at the Glasgow meet not long after I joined the board. They played a big part in making me feel very welcome and typical of him, he dismissed my thanks for it.

My sincerest condolences to Norah.

Rest in Peace Archie.

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
Elma
post 7th Jun 2007, 03:45pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I'm so sad to hear the news about Archie, I remember the photos he posted of Norah and his wee dogs, he was so proud of them. I never met him but we did correspond by e-mail for a time, he was always so positive even although he was suffering. Remember the hilarious posts about his travels to and from the hospitals for his treatments. God Bless you Norah and Archie R.I.P.

+Quote Post
witshisname
post 7th Jun 2007, 04:30pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,055
I met Archie for the first time at the Glasgow Meet last year and found him to be a really funny nice man.Although i didn't have any contact with him i could tell he was well liked on this site and always made people laugh.
My deepest condolences go out to Norah and their sons at this sad time.
R.I.P Archie ye'll be missed.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
If I don't see ye through the week,I'll see ye through the windae

+Quote Post
Melody
post 7th Jun 2007, 04:44pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Archie Millar - It is with awful sadness I read your news of Archie Catherine. Archie to me was an auld fashioned Glasgow man, a real man, a man of dignity and pretend toughness. A man that you were glad to have met, a family man filled with devotion to his wife and family. I think like all men of his generation and fashion he tried to hide his soft side but never quite managed it. smile.gif What fun we had in the store, I think he enjoyed me giving him a row for being late for work and sending him down to the stationery basement to do overtime, and him chiding me in return. I'll miss you Archie.

God Rest you Archie and give Norah strength in her loss.
From the Boss. ( He called me the Boss)

+Quote Post
carmella
post 7th Jun 2007, 04:59pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I'm sorry to hear about Archie's death, he was a character on these boards for a long time.

God Bless!

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 7th Jun 2007, 06:32pm
Post #10

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
I have just read a few of archies last posts to get an image of him,i found he was a very brave man,RIP,

+Quote Post
Heather
post 7th Jun 2007, 06:51pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I am very sorry to hear about Archie.
He fought the good fight with Cancer for a few years and always tried to keep his sense of humour, always kidding us about needing money to put in his tinny.

I met him and Nora a few years ago in the Horseshoe Bar. They were good company and I remember Archie telling me off for being too polite for saying ' yes' he told me I had to say 'aye'.

My condolence's to Nora.

RIP Archie.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
betty2
post 7th Jun 2007, 06:54pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
Archie Millar
Its with great sadness I read these posts, Archie was a man I had the pleasure of meeting on three occasions , with his wife Nora he came to glasgow to meet up with members of the GG.
You older members will remember his tinny. biggrin.gif his armani suit and tartan bunnet. Nora , a lovely lady who said very little but made a lasting impression , so quiet and every inch a lady. his posts were hilarious , and I have some lovely pics I had taken with him at the meets.God bless you Archie and may you rest in peace, For so long you suffered and still managed to make others smile

My trhoughts and prayewrs go to Nora his dear wife and his two sons

Goodnight old pal and sleep the sleep of peace

betty2

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post
valleyboy38
post 7th Jun 2007, 08:05pm
Post #13

Lord Provost
Member No.: 219
Although ive never met ARCHIE i think i knew him by his posts he seemed to be a lovable chap by every one on the board RIP Archie my sincere condolances to his family

+Quote Post
peter-f
post 7th Jun 2007, 08:40pm
Post #14

Resident
Member No.: 3,035
I am new here, but eveyone seems very friendly so I jist want to offer my condolences to everyone else that of all ther others for Mr. Millar and his family.

It must be good to know that you've loads of pals oot in cyber world, hopefully yeese all get tae meet each other at one time or another.

Regards
Peter

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 7th Jun 2007, 08:50pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
I have read some of Archies posts and he sounded a very interesting person sadly he stopped posting much after I joined the boards, but would like to offer my sincere condolences to his wife and family.
R.I.P.

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Jun 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.