Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How To Make Mince And Potatoes-- Glasgow Way., I come from Govan. my American friend would like to know the recipe fo
Dugald
post 11th Apr 2018, 11:14pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 35,025
I'd be obliged to anyone who can enlighten me to this... my favourite dinner, mince 'n totties.

Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 12th Apr 2018, 07:13am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Nice to see your post Dugald. How I would cook this now bears no resemblence to how my mother or grandparents cooked it when I was little. My mother was not the most astute in the culinary arts so she would make the grey version, beef mince, chopped onion and an oxo cube for stock, all simmered for at least an hour. My grandparents were a little more exotic with the ingredients, the mince was browned first before the chopped onion, finely diced carrot, oxo cube and (wait for it) a dash of Worcestershire sauce were added. It was also simmered for about an hour.

Our potatoes were always mashed so it was a floury variety, boiled (probably too long), drained and knocked senseless with a fork a after a liberal application of margarine (which was likely Stork). Butter was too precious to waste on mashed totties rolleyes.gif

Both were fine as long as there was plenty of either Heinz tomato or HP sauce available tongue.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Dugald
post 12th Apr 2018, 05:30pm
Post #3

Settling In
Thank you very much Ashfield. It was decent of you to send me the recipe. It seems a bit complicated for me, but I'm sure my friend will be able to handle it. It is good to hear from you again Ashfield.
Cheers, Dugald.

+Quote Post
bigdrew
post 14th Apr 2018, 10:44am
Post #4

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,122
Mince n' tots

buy beef mince with a 15% fat content
brown mince in a pot (careful not to burn)
when browned......
chop a large onion or 2 small onions.
make sure the onion is chopped fine,
add to mince with a cup of water Boiled...
stir really well
prepare 3 oxos, and add to mixture,
a small amount for brown sauce (if to taste)
pot is boiling, stir to avoid sticking, lower to simmer,
stirring every 2/3 minutes, simmer for about 45 minutes,
tinned baby carrots could be added at this time,
simmer for 15 minutes
oxo gravy granules to taste can be added,
simmer for another 15/20 minutes.
switch off cooker leaving lid on pot....
prepare potatoes, skinned and chopped fine
boil potatoes.....
test potatoes, putting on mince for another 10 minutes,
to be ready at the same time as the potatoes
mash potatoes or whatever
serve and on you go

+Quote Post
Dugald
post 17th Apr 2018, 05:36pm
Post #5

Settling In
Thank you Bigdrew for your recipe, I’ll pass it on to my better half with the hope that she’ll be able to understand all this cooking jargon a lot better than I can. Cheers, Dugald

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 23rd Apr 2018, 01:55pm
Post #6

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
Cant see too many modern mums doing all that lol more likely to buy one of those ready made meals.

+Quote Post
Drew
post 23rd Apr 2018, 05:55pm
Post #7

Resident
Member No.: 6,118
I love mince and potatoes and my mother and grannies were ace at making this delicious family meal. I find supermarket mince has a lot of water in it, making it difficult, if not impossible, to brown. Better getting your mince made by a butcher. I add a little flour to the mince to help thicken the gravy and always make suet dumplings which I put on top of the mince. Lid on and a half hour or so in the oven and it is pure heaven.

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 23rd Apr 2018, 07:41pm
Post #8

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,466
Had my version of what we call "School Dinner" only last night.

I use an Ikea GRADSASS Sauce as it is tasty, thick and creamy unlike the watery or oily drippy stuff that
brown unthickened gravy can be.
That's usually way too salty anyway.

Using only the leanest half pound of ground beef, chopped finely and fried up in an iron skillet using Olive Oil. Add garlic and pepper and a dash of salt to taste.
Prepare the saucemix per instructions.
Add the cooked ground beef to the sauce and keep warm.
An occasional stir won't go amiss while you prepare your own version of mashed/creamed potatoes.
Add a spoonful or two of buttered small garden peas and dish it up.

Using Ikea sauce is a quick and dirty alternative.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Held prisoner in Scotland from 1953. Escaped to England in 1970 then to Homeland Canada in 1980.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 23rd Apr 2018, 10:01pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Colonial rubbish! A Scot would never use garlic in their mince'n'totties. Apart from that, it looks revolting in your foti! Sorry, FAIL! And to add insult to injury, IKEA! WTF!

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 24th Apr 2018, 05:06pm
Post #10

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,466
Quick on the draw with criticism aren't you?

If adding enhancements like garlic, salt to the beef and butter and milk to the mash is such
"Colonial rubbish", prompting the outburst and personal attack then I think you need to return
to your beloved homeland asap and check yourself into Gartnavel Royal Hospital and undergo the
lobotomy you oh so desperately deserve.
Click here if you dare: I dare you

I did not call the dish "mince and totties" but my version of "school dinner".
Other more open-minded than you may be willing to try it.

To quote a line from "Scent of a Woman".....to express an opinion of the quality of your response....
Al Pacino's character was heard to say;

"Hooo-ahh, we got us a moron!"

Take a pill pal and wash it down with a couple of hundred gallons of untreated Spanish sewage.
You may add salt and garlic to taste.

--------------------
Held prisoner in Scotland from 1953. Escaped to England in 1970 then to Homeland Canada in 1980.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 24th Apr 2018, 08:53pm
Post #11

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
"school dinner" so right Ex POW. Nothing I can do with my mince can ever compare to the smell and taste of their mince. 60 years married and still trying !
I could smell it all the way up London Road on the way to the dinner school in a church hall at Brook St. My Australian son added garlic and anything else he could think of to make my Scottish mince suit his taste.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 24th Apr 2018, 09:41pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Dearie me! You don't like criticism, do you. I stand by what I wrote about your abortion of a dish. I have never seen such an unattractive presentation of mince in all my life. Whoever cooked that unsightly, lumpy mess should be banned sin die from the kitchen.

I assume that the crap firm of IKEA, in your neck of the woods, inflicts on the populace "foodstuffs" as well as their rubbish furnishings. We in Europe are spared that and have much to be thankful for.

I cannot share your apparent nostalgia for school dinners, as I never partook of them. AS a kid in Shettleston I used to see, and smell, the van going down to the school with its load of galvy containers of swill. It gave me the boak, not always of the dry variety.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 24th Apr 2018, 09:43pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 25th Apr 2018, 12:05am
Post #14

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
Bilbo ,regarding school dinners,living through rationing I was always hungry,and the smell and thought of a good meal after a morning at school,was very welcome to me. Not all the food was appetising,mince and soup were the only 2 I could warm to. My Glasgow friends here still talk of "dinner school mince",with nostalgia. Then,the big excitement of the day was ,when leaving the room,a lady was standing at the door handing out an APPLE to each child. In days when that was non existant in the shops,what a delight.
I heard a story (maybe a myth not sure ) about a woman who did very well in Canada and sent home boxes of Mackintosh Reds for the children of Glasgow who were deprived of such luxuries during rationing. I didnt go very often to the dinner school,my mum couldn`t afford the cost,and when she did buy me a weekly ticket ,it was spoiled by the nasty boys at the end of the table,spitting in the food as they passed it up the table. I never went back,such a waste of my mother`s hard earned money.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 25th Apr 2018, 07:36am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Taurus, I share most of your memories, a I was born in 1942 and spent my "formative years" in Shettleston. I fondly remember the Mackintosh Reds from Canada ( they were no myth, although I cannot verify the source), and various other free goodies from Australia and the States.

Until the age of 9, my school was only a hundred yards or so from the house and so I came home for dinner. I have few memories of what that meal consisted, but we were not rich by any standards and mince was the only butcher meat affordable. Chicken was a luxury for Christmas only and I was well into my late teens before I ever had a steak, although I was fortunate enough to be taken to Belgium on holiday in 1953, and I was amazed to see what looked like a week's ration of beef being served at dinner.

I still maintain that POW's version of mince'n'totties looks like an abomination compared to what my mammy and her mammy before her used to serve me. Typically, that member has chosen to personally attack me, not to mention a slur on my adopted country. He would be better employed improving his culinary skills.

Regards.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.