Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Butlins - Ayrshire, Holidays
Rating 5 V
Tori G
post 7th Jun 2005, 03:26am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,927
I remember many a time going to Butlins, dont remember too much about the place its self yet my Granny used to work there and we'd sometimes stay with her even though she wasnt supposed to let us, never the less we did and did have fun as a weeyin.

--------------------
Thats what I think anyway
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hewmac
post 8th Nov 2005, 09:58am
Post #2

Special Visitor
Member No.: 2,389
Hi vgourlay,

My pal's uncle had a farm near Butlins at Ayr and always boasted he could get free day-passes but he never came up with them.

I went a few times to the Saturday night dance at Butlins - there where usually a few buses down from Glasgow not only to the Holiday Camp dance but also to the Bobby Jones dance hall in Ayr.

Missed the last bus back home to Ardrossan one time and was glad of a lift on the USAF bus as far as the base at Prestwick .......... Missed Elvis by that much!

--------------------
Hughie ~ retired doon the watter in Oz

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 8th Nov 2005, 10:45am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
my neice,s fellas family own a mobile hom there a went to butlins in clacton on sea and my da lost his teeth in the water and you could watch the swimmers in the watter through glass and everybody was laughing watching ma daddy trying to catch his teeth my mammy and Iwere institches a was only 7 so yhat was 41 years ago and it still comes back when a see the name B utlins thanks for the happy memiries laugh.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
ElaineMcFarlane
post 8th Nov 2005, 12:02pm
Post #4

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 897
I remember going to Butlins when i was 14 or 15 with the school, me and my friend Kerry spent most of the day at the Waltzers with Steven and Stephen who worked there. As we were only there for the day we spent it all at the shows, Great memories biggrin.gif

--------------------
There are three things everyone should do every day.
Number one is laugh.
Number two is think -- spend some time in thought.
Number three, you should have your emotions move you to tears.
If you laugh, think and cry, that's a heck of a day.

+Quote Post
keelie gal
post 27th Apr 2006, 10:38am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,519
Butlins is a fab holiday camp i worked there for 4 years whilst studying and i had the time of my life a great company to work for the perks were fab and had many a free weekend up there wi ma chinas loved it wub.gif

--------------------
ITS NICE TO BE NICE

+Quote Post
karyn
post 27th Apr 2006, 11:52am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,418
keelie what butlins did ye work in? i worked in the wondersplash( the swimming pool) as a pool control and my brother was a life guard in the ayr butlins, ure talking many many moons ago worked and lived there for 4 months and was always in RABBIES bar in ayr, used to jump the butlins bus into ayr all the time n spend my well earnd pay ,whenever anyone got the sack they had to WALK THE HILL as it was called , the hill was murder to walk up n down as it was at the start of the camp and was very steep lol, one o the perks i had was being allowed to swim in the pool wen it was closed to the public, we only had dim lights on and it gave a great affect, u would see the punters waving at the window saying LET US IN THATS NOT FAIR !!!!!....., i was proposed to there aswell lol i was (i think) 17 and he was 21 (we wer only winching by the way) lol i said NO!!!! of course , oh dear memories right enough linda!!!!!!! laugh.gif my chalet was behind the chapel there and had a great view of the heads of ayr. xxxxxx

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
away in a dwalm

+Quote Post
valros
post 3rd Sep 2006, 09:06pm
Post #7

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,069
I have just noticed this thread about Butlin's. I was there many times years ago and a few weeks ago we went down for three days.
It is no longer Butlin's of course it is Haven holidays and is now called Craig Tara.

Not a lot has changed to be honest, the chalets are much the same, there are many caravans there too.

The entertainment is not great, Butlin's had much more.

We were there half board, breakfast and evening meal, the food was pretty good but it was self service which meant standing in queue's!!
I remember being served at the table in Butlin's when I first went there.
I still enjoyed my three days though and it was lovely to feel the sea air

Valros smile.gif

+Quote Post
sumac
post 10th Sep 2006, 06:47pm
Post #8

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
When my kids were wee, we would go to Butlins in Ayr on a Day Pass. One day I met friends and their kids there, had a great day out and went up to the car park to get the car - and it had been stolen!
Two wee, tired tots and one very upset mammy had to phone relatives to come away down to Ayr and get us all home to Cumbernauld. We finally got home at 9 at night - not funny, as the security men couldn't let us back into the camp to wait or to get any food! The kids were starving and crying. Not happy memories at all of Butlins.

AND our car was finally found 3 weeks later, minus child seats, locks, tapes, radio, etc. in Rostonhill.

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
*Nicola*
post 29th May 2007, 01:53pm
Post #9

can anyone remember the names of the chalets at butlins? ive got brechin, elgin, oban, pitlochary, montrose, jedburgh, gretna, nairn

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 30th May 2007, 04:24am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Didnt like Butlins

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
Java
post 30th May 2007, 04:47am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Can't help with the names, but there's a nice wee website full of memories...biggrin.gif

Butlins Ayr

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 7th Jun 2007, 10:17am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
wink.gif had one day out pass to Butlins but didnt like the day at all,Neils holidays were often at Butlins & he loved it all even at nighttimes when parents went to the ballroom & the weans went to a kids club type thingy he had sevral good memorys,cheers Java Neil will enjoy that wee link thanks.

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
*James26*
post 17th Jul 2007, 07:25pm
Post #13

The chalet names: -

Brigadoon Village
These are still here

Annan
Brechin
Craigie
Dumfries
Elgin
Fife
Gretna
Hawick

The rest are now demolished
Irvine
Jedburgh
Kelso
Largs
Montrose
Nairn
Oban
Pitlochry
Queensferry
Ross
Stirling
Teviot
Uig
Virkin
Wick
Yarrow

Waverly Village

(Chalets between Harlequins building and Church - in front of staff chalets)

Named after Clyde Islands, only remember Bute, as I stayed in a chalet there once. this is the only row left on this part of the site. these chalets were upgraded just before Butlins changed to Haven.

Burns Village

The new chalet blocks built in the late 80's. Next to the big car park.

Maben
Mossgiel
Lincluden
Friars Carse
Sanquhar
Foyers
Afton
Ellisland
Barskimming
Blairquhan
Deumlanrig
Cassillis
Brow

Fairways

Bungalow rows between Burns and Brigadoon villages

St. Andrew's
Turnberry
Muirfield
Belleisle

Caravan Parks

Arran View
Bayview
Beachgrove

+Quote Post
*Meek*
post 30th Jun 2008, 06:12pm
Post #14

Help me. Is there a new holiday camp on the old Butlin's site in Ayr? Was it not re-vamped & renamed West World or something?

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 30th Jun 2008, 07:35pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
I remember a holiday many years ago in the Butlin 's in Ayr. A bunch of us went as young teenagers Loved the holiday but the camp was the pits .We were in accommodation like barracks , bunk beds as uncomfortable as hell. I honestly think it was army barracks. I guess it would be quite different now, but our experience was awful.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.