Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doon The Watter, A boat trip
stuarty
post 4th Aug 2007, 10:15am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
ma pal maggie hannahan nee mcglaughlin owns the grapes pub and when a was on holiday in rothesay when wee a stayed in a place called staffa place it was a room and kitchen and ma ma and 2of her sisters and us weans stayed there the men stayed at hame to work probably liftin their arm at the bar in maryhill road ha ha ha laugh.gif gone to get mussels and whielks from the rocks when the tide went oot and cook them yommy trying to eat them when still hot and burnin me mooth ohhhhh ahhhhhh ouch

--------------------
gie me a wee minite
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Melody
post 23rd Jan 2008, 09:51am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Packin' cases, oh the excitement of it all. A taxi comin' tae the door tae take ye tae the station, we never saw a taxi other than that ah don't think. Horrible elastic bathing costume ( Ah hate tae say this but there's one in the Peoples' Palace in a glass case. Think ah'll be in a glass case soon as an exhibit laugh.gif ) Ma bucket and spade, complete heaven, life could hold no more except they wee flags for yer sand pies that ye bought off the stall on the beach. Ah mind ah used to hate leaving the beach at lunch time to go back to the B & B for lunch. Imagine going back up for yer lunch, full board in those days meant yer lunch as well. My but we were posh! This was Blackpool in the fifties such happy days. smile.gif

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 19th Jul 2009, 02:30am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
this will bring back a memories dunoon

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Marnie
post 10th Aug 2009, 07:47am
Post #34

Resident
Member No.: 6,507
Hello possilboy, how was Oz? I'bet the weather was better than Dunoon at the Fair. My memories of the Clyde are, Ayr, Saltcoats, Stevenston and Ardrossan. I think my mother must have been scared of boats. I remember when I was a teenager in the Sixties, going to Rothesay for the Bike Race at the September weekend. When we went to the dancing on the Saturday evening, (Can't remember the name of the big pavillion), and older boys asking the girls to carry quarter bottles of whiskey in their bags. One boy tied his bottle to his leg. Of course it fell off and smashed. His Hush Puppies were ruined, we were all Mods then. No drink allowed then. Happier days.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 10th Aug 2009, 07:52am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Hi Marnie: That with the quarter bottles tongue.gif Some of the hard-tickets got the girls to carry in their "chivs" too cool.gif
You girls were awful, so yees were !

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
tracystreet
post 7th Feb 2010, 01:41am
Post #36

Settling In
Member No.: 8,081
QUOTE (Macbeast @ 30th Nov 2005, 11:07am) *
I think we went "doon the watter" twice, once to Dunoon and once to Rothesay, both for summer holidays. I can remember approaching the piers with Jimmy Shand type music playing.

I think one trip was on the "Waverley", now doing trips in the Thames Estuary: I saw her recently coming up to tie up at Tower Pier and they raised the Tower Bridge for her, purely for show, I think.

The other might have been on the "Queen Mary 2". I think there was a bit of resentment as she predated the Cunarder Queen Mary and was re-named when the big boat was built.

I well remember my father "going to look at the engines" - it never occurred to me that the only thing he was looking at was the bottom of a glass wink.gif

Great site, by the way. I used to live in Maryhill in the 60s and that thread brought back many memories

I remember going on the waveley to Rothsay when I was a wee girl.

+Quote Post
tracystreet
post 7th Feb 2010, 01:43am
Post #37

Settling In
Member No.: 8,081
QUOTE (possilboy @ 19th Jul 2009, 02:28am) *
this will bring back a memories dunoon

My cousins used to have the bakers in Dunoon the name was Penders

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 7th Feb 2010, 02:02am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
welcome tracystreet a wee photo of the waverley
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  untitled.bmp ( 703.18K )

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 7th Feb 2010, 02:05am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
and again
Attached File(s)
Attached File  untitled.bmp ( 703.18K )

+Quote Post
mrssnuffy
post 14th Feb 2010, 12:36am
Post #40

Super Visitor
Member No.: 8,120
Used to go to Rothsay every summer. My Mum would go down and find a place and nearer the time would send down a big wicker hamper with bed lines, towels, etc. My Dad would come and visit at week-ends. One Fair holiday the whole family was there and as usual it was raining, so my granda decided that I should be dragged in off the street to enter the "beautiful baby" contest. Well, there I was with scuffed shoes, a jeilly piece and my knickers showing and would you believe, I came in third after a wee sweetie box girtl and a wee Canadian cowboy. There was almost a riot as the audience were all Glaswegians and thought the "wee lassie frae Glasgo should huv won". Still have the newspaper cutting!!!

Side note: it's the only beauty contest I ever won!!!

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 14th Feb 2010, 12:59am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
welcome mrssnuffy hope you enjoy sme wee photos

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
mrssnuffy
post 24th Feb 2010, 03:32am
Post #42

Super Visitor
Member No.: 8,120
Possilboy, thanks for the pics. Last time I was there I was 14. Lotta changes since then. Maybe I'lt one of those times when I'm home.l visi

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 24th Feb 2010, 03:53am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (mrssnuffy @ 13th Feb 2010, 04:34pm) *
Used to go to Rothsay every summer. My Mum would go down and find a place and nearer the time would send down a big wicker hamper with bed lines, towels, etc. My Dad would come and visit at week-ends. One Fair holiday the whole family was there and as usual it was raining, so my granda decided that I should be dragged in off the street to enter the "beautiful baby" contest. Well, there I was with scuffed shoes, a jeilly piece and my knickers showing and would you believe, I came in third after a wee sweetie box girtl and a wee Canadian cowboy. There was almost a riot as the audience were all Glaswegians and thought the "wee lassie frae Glasgo should huv won". Still have the newspaper cutting!!!

Side note: it's the only beauty contest I ever won!!!

Great wee memory maker post!!

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 24th Feb 2010, 03:31pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (mrssnuffy @ 14th Feb 2010, 01:34am) *
... and would you believe, I came in third
... it's the only beauty contest I ever won!!!

That's the thing I like about Glasgow folks biggrin.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.