Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Holiday Memories, Tales of being on holiday
angel
post 14th Jan 2012, 07:45pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675

That was a terrible tragedy sad.gif but then those campers going into Algonquin provincial park
are well and truly warned not to leave garbage or scrap food outside their camp site , because this will attract the bears .
there have been many incidents of this type over the years , you can't blame the bears, after all it is really their territory.
We have the same situation when it comes to building those sub divisions
that encrouch on the bears right of way . pretty soon no bears , now thats the tragedy . sad.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 19th Jan 2012, 12:25pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Hi Heather going to the Holy Land would be my wifes idea of the perfect holiday, even the kids call her Sister Josephine as they reckon she should never have gotten maried but should have become a Nun biggrin.gif
However if you were to ever meet up with her over there, a word to the wise dont get lost as she could not find her way out of a wet paper bag, no sense of direction, i have lost count of the number of times she will get out of the car and just walk off in the direction she is looking regardless of where we are going biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 21st Jan 2012, 11:28am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
When my eldest was still in nappies we went to a game reserve on holiday, this one was about ten hours drive away from Joburg and when we booked in discovered that we were the only people in that particular camp, it was my wife and I and our eldest plus my cousin and his wife.

We soon discovered that there was no fence around the camp and were warned by the camp watchman to be carefull after dark.
In those days there were no disposable nappies and we had to wash and dry the nappies after use and as to be expected one night my wife discovers that we needed another nappie.

The problem was that they where all hanging up outside and you literally could not see your hand in front of your face. So after much "get oot and fetch the nappies" from my wife and many "nie chance i'me no going out there" from me my cousins wife ordered him to go and fetch the nappies which he did, and coming back he was quick to let me know that there was nothing to be worried about and next time I must go myself.

Next morning the camp watchman showed us the tracks of a pride of lions that had wandered through the camp that night. The look on my cousins face was priceless as was the look he gave his wife biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
weelew
post 7th Feb 2012, 01:35am
Post #34

City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,131
Hi Dave this is a true story that happened to me in Cyprus august 1997 .I know you are a Celtic supporter so i hope you dont take offence at it and see the funny side of it . We were staying in cyprus for a three week holiday and decided to have a three day cruise .There were three on offer ,one to Jerusalem ,one to Egypt and one covering both .We decide on the one to Egypt as there had been quite a few bombings in Jerusalem in recent weeks .So off we went and had a lovely time .Unfortunately the day we sailed back ,a Sunday was the day that Princess Diana was killed and most people on the liner were really sad and upset .When we reached Cyprus it was early evening so the wife and i decided rather than go back to our hotel we would just go straight to this karaoke bar that we had been to quite often .I went to the toilet ,when there i met this wee Glasgow guy a Rangers supporter who asked me where i had been ,i said Egypt and he replied i am just back from the Jerusalem trip .I said to him that i wanted to go on that trip as i wanted to see the wailing wall which is part of Solomon's Temple .At that time Rangers were winning evrything and quick as a flash he replied The wailing wall i couldn't get near it for effing Celtic supporters .I burst out laughing and was still laughing when we came out from the toilet and unbeknown to me this gay guy had went up to sing Elton Johns goodbye Norma jean ,this was before he changed it to England's rose .Anyway the gay guy had announced that this was for the Princess and everyone was sitting crying ,when i came out the toilet laughing i was instantly attacked by a crowd of screaming women of different nationalities who thought i was laughing at the Princess ,took some explaining and more than a few rounds to convince them that i was not .

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 7th Feb 2012, 06:33am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
laugh.gif Good story Weelew, I think Princess Di is like John Kennedy and the twin towers we all remember where we where and doing at the time it happened.
I was in Bamako Mali when the news came on TV, it was the French African service no English or subtitles but it was still obvious what had happened.

+Quote Post
beth
post 18th Feb 2012, 06:52am
Post #36

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
Just got home after our wee holiday. Great to be with family again. Finally saw some lion. What a sight five of them on the hunt after a herd of impala. Thankfully we did not see the kill

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 18th Feb 2012, 08:43am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (beth @ 18th Feb 2012, 06:57am) *
Just got home after our wee holiday. Great to be with family again. Finally saw some lion. What a sight five of them on the hunt after a herd of impala. Thankfully we did not see the kill

Good to hear you enjoyed yourself Beth.

Just wait till the Golden Lions get hold of the Sharks next, that will be a kill and a half. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
beth
post 14th Nov 2012, 08:44pm
Post #38

Super Lord Provost

saw this one on Monday, but no more lions, missed a pride by minutes mad.gif

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 15th Nov 2012, 12:03pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Where did you spot this one Beth?

I was in Hluhluwe a year ot two ago and was lucky to see a herd of Elephant and about Four or Five Rhino, no cats of any kind though probably to hot for them it was well over 35c at the time.

+Quote Post
beth
post 15th Nov 2012, 04:08pm
Post #40

Super Lord Provost
Hi Dave. It was along the fence between Zulu Nyala and Phinda. It was just sitting there so easy to have missed. Folk we were with found a pride of lion, but in the B....y passat we could not get up there

+Quote Post
beth
post 15th Nov 2012, 04:10pm
Post #41

Super Lord Provost
iMfolozi is still better than Hluhluwe, imho. Planning to stay at Impila in April next year when our precious daughter comes home for a holiday

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 16th Nov 2012, 05:11am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Enjoy Beth I am sure it will be another holiday to remember thumbup.gif

Whats happening to the Rhino is a disaster for the whole world. I would hate to think that my Grandkids and great Grandkids may never see one in its natural enviroment.
Such a magnificent animal, a picture of rock solid muscle and strength, destroyed because of a backward peoples beliefs. angry.gif

+Quote Post
beth
post 16th Nov 2012, 06:37am
Post #43

Super Lord Provost
Every Friday is Rhino Day and I wear my Rhino T Shirt. The Kragga Gamma(?) folk do a great job so i bought some shirts and stoff from them. My sister's grandchildren all have Rhino bangles. So glad to read of the guy getting 40 years for the damage he did.
Thought I was getting a new camera for my birthday rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif but it did not happen, Christmas is coming.
We saw a herd of buffalo as well as the obligatory giraffe, zebra and elephant. We stayed at the Zulu Nyala heritage Safari and there were zebra, impala and nyala all grazing right outside our door.

+Quote Post
Rab
post 16th Nov 2012, 04:53pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
I spent 3 weeks in a Dead Sea resort in Israel called En Bokkek and did all the usual trips, Bethlehem, Jerusalem etc, - 'Holy Land' - don't make me laugh! rolleyes.gif
Have lots of adventures and stories to tell but as an example: I was fond of going on long walks away from the resort, into the Judean desert , 'up a wadi' with my holiday pal, a wee Italian called Paolo. We saw much wildlife and stalked Ibex and leopard etc for fun. Aye, daft as it sounds! After 2 weeks, I was sitting by the hotel pool and this family from London turns up. Dad was a right 'smart alec-know-it-all' type and when I warned him about the likelihood of leopard prowling around the hotel at night he scoffed and began to call me 'Leopard-Man', whilst I quietly hoped he would meet wan coming back from the pub wan dark night! We travelled back to Tel Aviv for the flight home and I took a quiet delight in pointing out to him a news placard at a news-stand at the taxi-rank saying 'Tourist sunbather loses arm to prowling big cat' You should have seen the blood drain from his face! No chance of an apology though. laugh.gif

The beach either side of my hotel was mined for miles - the type that go BANG!. Large salt deposits in the Dead Sea meant that you could walk out a long way as it was shallow. This was frowned upon by Israeli Defence troops who patrolled regularly as we were on the West Bank facing Jordan.
A few days after I arrived, when I was 'up the wadi' one morning, a couple of young German guests went to see how far they could walk out on the salt. They went a bit far and an army patrol shouted at them to return. The lads apparently did not understand, and waved back and carried on. Unfortunately, the Israelis do not take this lightly and shot and killed them! The message soon got understood! What a holiday this was. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
beth
post 16th Nov 2012, 07:25pm
Post #45

Super Lord Provost
Rab would have loved to see your friend's face. Tourists think we are daft when we warn them. They just don't listen Just today in our paper was the report of an elephant in the Kruger park over turning a car. Three cars stopped to take foties and the nellie did not like it. Glad it was not me!! We have a totally healthy respect for the warnings of locals wherever we travel, even if it is just about the sun or beasties. LOCALS KNOW BEST

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.