Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aberfoyle, A great day oot in the Trossachs!
McLay
post 25th Mar 2011, 08:52pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 10,681
Aye it was such a great day 'oot' my Mum uprooted us from Glasgow and we moved there in 1967 ( well Inversnaid first for a year. Then to Aberfoyle)! I just wondered how many of you had days out there, or holidayed there, or visited Dounans Camp, or ( in the teen years) danced the night away at the Rob Roy Motel Oh the number of lovely lads I snogged at that disco................*sigh* biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 26th Mar 2011, 03:23am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Loved that whole area!..I remember trudging up that hill from Aberfoyle to camp out with leaky tents and wet firewood!!!...Great old times

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 26th Mar 2011, 03:27am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder

No leaky tent here!....Stayed at this lovely Hotel for a week last time I was in that area!!

+Quote Post
brian432
post 26th Mar 2011, 08:57am
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,340
QUOTE (McLay @ 25th Mar 2011, 09:15pm) *
Aye it was such a great day 'oot' my Mum uprooted us from Glasgow and we moved there in 1967 ( well Inversnaid first for a year. Then to Aberfoyle)! I just wondered how many of you had days out there, or holidayed there, or visited Dounans Camp, or ( in the teen years) danced the night away at the Rob Roy Motel Oh the number of lovely lads I snogged at that disco................*sigh* biggrin.gif

My pal and me played the accordion at the Inversnaid hotel every Monday night for about a year. cool.gif

--------------------
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband!!!!!

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 26th Mar 2011, 06:10pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Would love to have heard you Brian...That Hotel I stayed at was the 'Forest Hills'..I stayed in the original house section.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 26th Mar 2011, 06:13pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
This was the view from my room!

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 12th Jun 2012, 09:36am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
When me and ma brothers were jist bairns our mum and dad had a caravan at balfron which if i remember wasnt that far from aberfoyle. We had an aunt and uncle who also had a caravan there. I think the name of the place may have been Rennies motor tourist site or maybe it was just Rennies caravan site. the place was full of trees and midges were everywhere you just couldnt get away from them. I also recall a swimming pool but the water looked so horrible my dad warned us never to get in it. The caravan had a toilet out at the back but it was real scary because it was full of creepy crawlies and if it was dark ootside dad would give us a torch and that made it even scarier. However in spite of all this we had a lot of fun there......I think!!

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 12th Jun 2012, 09:53am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (brian432 @ 26th Mar 2011, 10:12am) *
My pal and me played the accordion at the Inversnaid hotel every Monday night for about a year. cool.gif

Hi Brian. If my memory serves me right The Inversnaid Hotel was on the banks of loch lomond up near to the narrows. When i was in my early 20's i had a speedboat at balmaha and would often on warm balmy evenings speed up to the hotel for a drink with a couple of my mates or if it was a weekend and i had a girlfriend with me enjoy a few drinks and an excellent lunch. Lots of the boating fraternity used the jetties in front of the hotel......... fond memories indeed

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
Rab
post 19th Nov 2012, 04:49pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
The Trossachs mean a great deal to me. I spent my teenage years cycling each weekend around the area, staying nights in the SYHA Hostels and what great fun it all was. It was wonderful to meet all those people from foreign lands and made a great impression on my rather sheltered Glasgow childhood. I always travelled with a group of pals who would meet up in the town then head for the Erskine Ferry and once on the other side we made for any one of many Hostels dotted around the lochs. I remember with great affection all the places mentioned in previous posts, from Balloch, Rowardennan, Lendrick, Balquihidder, Tarbert etc etc. all full of marvellous memories. One fine weekend, my pal and I were staying at Lendrick Hostel near Callander and we met two American lassies who were carrying large loads on their bikes compared with our small bags, so we swapped bikes as we wended our way through the Trossaches, eventually arriving at Inversnaid and the hotel for a cuppa tea. We had to wave to the ferryman from Upper Inveruglas to come and fetch us across Loch Lomond, where we parted, the girls going north to Arrochar and we going south back to Balloch and then home. I still remember Lois Fredricksen from Sioux Falls, South Dakota! Examining road maps today I can scarcely believe the distances we used to cover in 2 days - it would be impossible now to even think about it!
Attached Image

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.