Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

167 Pages V  « < 162 163 164 165 166 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> On This Day In .....................
Rating 5 V
Doug1
post 3rd Jan 2018, 07:07pm
Post #2446

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
On this day in 1888, playwright O H Mavor (James Bridie) was born in Glasgow. Mavor was educated at Glasgow University and worked as a doctor during both World Wars. Throughout his medical career, he maintained an interest in writing and is best known for the play The Anatomist, which is based on the life of Dr Robert Knox, who supplied bodies for dissection.

Mavor also worked alongside Alfred Hitchcock, on projects including:

The Paradine Case (1947)
Under Capricorn (1949)
Stage Fright (1950)
Attached Image

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 6th Jan 2018, 08:59pm
Post #2447

Mega City Key Holder
On this day in...

1066 King Harald of England crowned

1649 The English Rump Parliament votes to put Charles I on trial for treason and other "high crimes"

1838 The forerunner of Morse code, the telegraph system, is first demonstrated by American Alfred Vail

1896 Cecil Rhodes resigns as premier of Cape colony

1929 Mother Teresa arrives in Calcutta to begin a her work amongst India's poorest

1948 "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre", American adventure film based off B. Traven's novel of the same name, directed by John Huston and starring Humphrey Bogart, is released

1964 Rolling Stones' 1st tour as headline act (with Ronettes)

1974 United Kingdom begins three-day work week during energy crisis

1975 1000 Led Zeppelin fans, waiting overnight inside the lobby of the Boston Garden for tickets to the group's February 4th gig to go on sale, cause a riot and an esimated $30,000 damage

1986 British Defence Secretary Michael Heseltine resigns after the 'Westland affair'

2016 "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" breaks North American box office record, passing the $760.5m taken by "Avatar"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 7th Jan 2018, 12:36pm
Post #2448

Mega City Key Holder
On this day in 1451, Pope Nicholas V issued a papal bull to found the University of Glasgow, making it the fourth oldest English-speaking university in the world.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 12th Jan 2018, 09:11pm
Post #2449

Mega City Key Holder
On this day in....

1820 Astronomical Society of London (now the Royal Astronomical Society) founded in England

1879 The British-Zulu War begins. British troops -- under Lieutenant General Frederic Augustus -- invade Zululand from the southern African republic of Natal.

1895 The National Trust is founded in Britain.

1906 Henry Campbell-Bannerman's cabinet (which included H. H. Asquith, David Lloyd George, and Winston Churchill) embarks on sweeping social reforms after a Liberal landslide in the British general election

1950 Swedish tanker rams British submarine Truculent in Thames, 64 die

1966 "Batman", starring Adam West as Batman, Burt Ward as Robin, and Cesar Romero as The Joker, debuts on ABC

2010 An earthquake in Haiti kills an estimated 316,000 people.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 17th Jan 2018, 12:33pm
Post #2450

Mega City Key Holder
On this day in..

1746 Charles Edward Stuart, the young pretender, defeats the government forces at the battle of Falkirk in Scotland.

1773 Captain James Cook becomes the first person to cross the Antarctic Circle.

1904 Anton Chekhov's play "Cherry Orchard" opens at Moscow Art Theatre

1916 1st PGA Championship: Jim Barnes at Siwanoy CC Bronxville, New York

1939 The Reich issues an order forbidding Jews to practice as dentists, veterinarians and chemists.

1950 The Great Brinks Robbery - 11 men rob $1.2M cash & $1.5M securities from armoured car company Brink's offices in Boston, Massachusetts

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 18th Jan 2018, 01:42pm
Post #2451

Mega City Key Holder
Roxburgh born physician and medical researcher Sir John Pringle, physician to King George III and President of the Royal Society from 1772 to 1778, died on this day in 1782.

Pringle achieved fame through his research on the importance of cleanliness when treating wounded soldiers on the battlefield. He spent time with the Redcoat armies and is said to have been present at the Battle of Culloden, as well as acting as physician to the Earl of Stair who was serving in the Battle of Flanders.

Pringle's paper 'Observations on Diseases in the Army' gave him the title of 'Father of Modern Medicine' and he also coined the term 'influenza'.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
prince21
post 18th Jan 2018, 02:26pm
Post #2452

Special Visitor
Member No.: 30,959
QUOTE (Doug1 @ 18th Jan 2018, 01:42pm) *
Roxburgh born physician and medical researcher Sir John Pringle, physician to King George III and President of the Royal Society from 1772 to 1778, died on this day in 1782.

Pringle achieved fame through his research on the importance of cleanliness when treating wounded soldiers on the battlefield. He spent time with the Redcoat armies and is said to have been present at the Battle of Culloden, as well as acting as physician to the Earl of Stair who was serving in the Battle of Flanders.

Pringle's paper 'Observations on Diseases in the Army' gave him the title of 'Father of Modern Medicine' and he also coined the term 'influenza'.

Attached Image

Doug you have a great knowledge of history. I,m a Celtic fan and last year visited the Estadio National where as know better than me that,s where Celtic won the European Cup in 1967.
I,m going to Llanelli in March and would be grateful of any information about Celtic,s greatest manager Jock Stein. My son lives there and i will go to Llanelli stadium.
Going back to 1967 I went to all the Celtic games then and only missed out on the final in Lisbon. It was certainly the best Celtic team ever. Best Wishes Doug

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 21st Jan 2018, 11:43am
Post #2453

Mega City Key Holder
Theologian George Gillespie was born on this day in 1613 in Kirkcaldy. Gillespie was the son of a minister and he entered church life through work as a domestic chaplain to the 1st Viscount Kenmure and later the 6th Earl of Cassilis.

In 1638, he preached a sermon against royal interference in ecclesiastical matters, a theme which was to continue throughout his career. He became one of the members of the Westminster Assembly, as a representative for Scotland, where he discussed church government and worship.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 21st Jan 2018, 12:06pm
Post #2454

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (prince21 @ 18th Jan 2018, 02:26pm) *
Doug you have a great knowledge of history. I,m a Celtic fan and last year visited the Estadio National where as know better than me that,s where Celtic won the European Cup in 1967.
I,m going to Llanelli in March and would be grateful of any information about Celtic,s greatest manager Jock Stein. My son lives there and i will go to Llanelli stadium.
Going back to 1967 I went to all the Celtic games then and only missed out on the final in Lisbon. It was certainly the best Celtic team ever. Best Wishes Doug

Thank you for the kind words. You are clearly a big Celtic fan so I can well understand you wanting to know about the great Jock Stein. My suggestion is to use the internet as this way you will get all the factual history and all sorts of anecdotal stuff as well. You may also get some good stories and other info from GG itself about both Stein and Celtic. Trawl through all the categories etc and see what turns up. Good luck and best wishes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 22nd Jan 2018, 03:27pm
Post #2455

Mega City Key Holder
On this day in....

1561 Born on this day Sir Francis Bacon, English philosopher, statesman, essayist (The Advancement of Learning).

1689 England's "Bloodless Revolution" reaches its climax when parliament invites William and Mary to become joint sovereigns.

1788 Born on this day Lord George Byron, English romantic poet ("Lara," "Don Juan.")

1824 A British force is wiped out by an Asante army under Osei Bonsu on the African Gold Coast. This is the first defeat for a colonial power.

1879 Eighty-two British soldiers hold off attacks by 4,000 Zulu warriors at the Battle of Rorke's Drift in South Africa.

1912 Second Monte Carlo auto race begins.

1930 US Admiral Richard Byrd charts a vast area of Antarctica.

1932 Government troops crush a Communist uprising in Northern Spain.

1944 U.S. troops under Major General John P. Lucas make an amphibious landing behind German lines at Anzio, Italy, just south of Rome.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 23rd Jan 2018, 07:55am
Post #2456

Mega City Key Holder
James Stewart, Earl of Moray, regent for James VI, was assassinated by a firearm on this day in 1570, as he passed along Linlithgow High Street. Stewart was the illegitimate son of King James V of Scotland by Lady Margaret Erskine and acted as regent for his nephew James VI.

The assassination was carried out by James Hamilton of Bothwellhaugh, a supporter of Mary Queen of Scots and the killing was one of the first recorded assassinations by firearm in Scotland.

After the assassination, Stewart's body was shipped to Leith and he was buried at St Giles in Edinburgh in a tomb carved by John Roytell and Murdoch Walker.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
KATHY
post 23rd Jan 2018, 10:15am
Post #2457

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,327
QUOTE (Doug1 @ 23rd Jan 2018, 07:55am) *
James Stewart, Earl of Moray, regent for James VI, was assassinated by a firearm on this day in 1570, as he passed along Linlithgow High Street. Stewart was the illegitimate son of King James V of Scotland by Lady Margaret Erskine and acted as regent for his nephew James VI.

The assassination was carried out by James Hamilton of Bothwellhaugh, a supporter of Mary Queen of Scots and the killing was one of the first recorded assassinations by firearm in Scotland.

After the assassination, Stewart's body was shipped to Leith and he was buried at St Giles in Edinburgh in a tomb carved by John Roytell and Murdoch Walker.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 25th Jan 2018, 02:47pm
Post #2458

Mega City Key Holder
Scotland’s national bard Robert Burns, who penned many famous verses including ‘Auld Lang Syne’, was born on this day in 1759…
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 26th Jan 2018, 12:49am
Post #2459

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
On this day in ..
2009 - TeeHeeHee made his first appearance on Glasgow Guide Boards biggrin.gif
While probably a lucky day for GG Boards tongue.gif it was as a direct result of having sustained a broken wrist in 13 places laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 26th Jan 2018, 02:45pm
Post #2460

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 26th Jan 2018, 12:49am) *
On this day in ..
2009 - TeeHeeHee made his first appearance on Glasgow Guide Boards biggrin.gif
While probably a lucky day for GG Boards tongue.gif it was as a direct result of having sustained a broken wrist in 13 places laugh.gif

thumbup.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

167 Pages V  « < 162 163 164 165 166 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.