Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Barras, A Bygone Era
clapton
post 31st Jan 2006, 08:46pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,782

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 31st Jan 2006, 11:30pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Did I read on here that the Barras ,will not be there much longer ?. Shame really,but such is life !!!

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
Riddrieperson
post 1st Feb 2006, 12:19am
Post #3

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 799
QUOTE (jimmyd @ 1st Feb 2006, 12:47 AM)
Did  I read on here that the Barras ,will not be there much longer ?. Shame really,but such is life !!!

You are correct Jimmy.Already a lot of area has been lost from the Barras and the district council are under constant pressure to sell the whole area of land to developers.Now,I am all for the development of new housing but the district council appear to be more concerned with making money than retaining Glasgow`s heritage.most of the land sold by GDC finishes up as private /upmarket housing so once the land is sold,the council makes little or no money from it. sad.gif

--------------------
Kenny :)

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 1st Feb 2006, 10:08am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
These are interesting pictures of the Barras Market, Clapton. I am a little puzzled by the date (1900) on the first picture, though, as it is my understanding that the Barras Market was established by Maggie McIver in the early Twenties. Can you clarify?

I have also been trying, without success, to enhance the area at the top right of that photograph in order to read what it says on the sign. Have you any suggestions? The photo programmes I use are Corel PHOTO-PAINT 7 and Adobe PhotoDeluxe Business Edition.

Taking up Kenny's point, there has been much talk lately of redeveloping the site of the Barras but the site is still in private ownership so there is little question of the City Council making money from its sale. My view is that the site will be sold as soon as the owners can demand what they see as the right price.

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
clapton
post 1st Feb 2006, 10:25am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
There was always a Market there... so all the McIvers did was build the Barras around the market.. They may have started the barras.. but.. they didn't start the Market

Maggie McIver was actually a Stall holder.. who hit on the Idea of Building what we now know as THE BARRAS..
They also owned a Car Showroom.. just along from the Barras... called Sam McIver's (Maggie's son)

+Quote Post
Riddrieperson
post 1st Feb 2006, 10:52am
Post #6

Super City Key Holder
Luceo,and anybody else of course, :-) here is a link to a site that gives more info aboput the Barras.Click on the image of the Barras to get into the site. biggrin.gif

http://www.glasgow-barrowland.com/index.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
Riddrieperson
post 1st Feb 2006, 11:06am
Post #7

Super City Key Holder
Here is another link to a very good BBC site which has video/ audio clips and features; not only of Glasgow but other parts of Scotland also.The Barras,of course,get a mention there too. biggrin.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/history/scot...ocation=argyll2

--------------------

+Quote Post
clapton
post 1st Feb 2006, 11:07am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
There you go.. My info wasn't too far out then..

Just maybe.. when the time actually comes.. There may be enough "Public Opinion" to preven the demise of The barras..
It is such a major part of Glasgow..
Don't know if it is still the case.. but "Bus runs" used to take place from places like Leven.. etc.. just to visit The barras

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 1st Feb 2006, 11:20am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
Thanks for that, gentlemen!

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
Davie
post 1st Feb 2006, 01:16pm
Post #10

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,484
There was always a Market there... so all the McIvers did was build the Barras around the market.. They may have started the barras.. but.. they didn't start the Market

Really interesting information.
There was always a market there?
Can I ask where you got this from Jim?
Your first pic is of a Braces and bric a brac stall in Moncur Street
Taken in 1914.

My family had a fruit shop in Kent street before there were any Barras.
The original indoor market was opened by the Corpy in 1875 in Greendyke Street
Lots of open grounds in the area were used by hawkers, Clyde Street, The Brigate, Ross Street, Moncur Street to name a few.
My Father was a friend of Sam McIver, they were in the same class at the Do'hill school.

+Quote Post
clapton
post 1st Feb 2006, 01:24pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Davie.. Somehow.. I figured.. if anyone was going to find an error... It would be you... What kept you???

The pics.. I had "saved" sometime ago.. from a Website.. I just added a Title and date which I also got from the Website...
At this moment.. I really wish I could remember the bloomin Website... just to show you...
Since you provided some info... I gather you have found a Site... If so.. could you post a link... Then I can check

It is possible.. info posted on the site I got them from .. was wrong... In fact... the Clyde Tunnel pic that I posted elsewhere actually had the year 1968 at it.. which I knew was definitely wrong

I trust.. the other pics are OK?

+Quote Post
Davie
post 1st Feb 2006, 02:08pm
Post #12

Super City Key Holder
Hi Jim
Other pics are ok.
I only know the date, because Elspeth King told me.
And you always believe Elspeth
That is The Law!
I have never known her to be wrong.
And we miss her at the People's Palace.
However:
Because I come from the Calton, I am interested in the place.
Most of these photies are available from the Virtual Mitchell.
A great site, great pics, but all too often wrong in dates and where they were actually taken

Luceo:
Taking up Kenny's point, there has been much talk lately of redeveloping the site of the Barras but the site is still in private ownership so there is little question of the City Council making money from its sale. My view is that the site will be sold as soon as the owners can demand what they see as the right price.

That is correct as far as I am aware.
My enquiries have not come up with any concrete information.
I think it is owned by a trust for the McIver family.
I spoke to one of the family about 18 months ago and his biggest fear was that the Corpy might revoke their trading licence due to the illegal dealing in counterfeit goods and illicit tobacco.
You miss John Lynch in the Burnt Barns, he always knew what was going on.
I agree with Luceo on this, as soon as a decent price is agreed, the land will be develped furr hooses.

+Quote Post
clapton
post 1st Feb 2006, 03:16pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
When My first wife and I got married..(Yup.. I was silly enough to do it twice).. We lived at the corner of Stevenson Street and Bain Street.. During that horrendous 2-year marriage.. and even though I was so near to The Barras... I didn't go round it at all....

+Quote Post
Davie
post 1st Feb 2006, 04:27pm
Post #14

Super City Key Holder
Here is a wee bit on the McIvers out of:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Davie
post 1st Feb 2006, 04:30pm
Post #15

Super City Key Holder
Guy McNaughton is the auld fella

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.