Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

> Braehead In Anti-terror Photo Row, Police cite terror laws over family photo
GG
post 10th Oct 2011, 07:07pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A father of a four-year-old child is seeking official apologies from both Strathclyde Police and Braehead Shopping Centre after he claimed he was questioned under anti-terror laws for taking pictures of his own daughter eating an ice cream in a shopping centre near Glasgow.

Chris White, a mental health worker, was approached by staff at Braehead Shopping Centre after he took a photograph of his daughter Hazel on Friday afternoon. Mr White was initially questioned by a centre security guard, who informed him that it was illegal to take photographs in the shopping centre.

Centre staff then called police following Mr White's refusal to delete the photograph from his camera. When officers of Strathclyde Police arrived, Mr White claimed that they were "threatening and intimidating" and warned him to pay attention when he attempted to comfort his crying daughter, whom he was holding in his arms.

Attached Image

According to the distressed father, he was then informed by police that they were within their rights, under the Prevention of Terrorism Act, to confiscate the mobile phone containing the photograph.

Mr White commented:
"The officer said that under the Terrorism Act he was within in his rights to confiscate my phone for taking photos within a public shopping centre. However, he [the police officer] then said on this occasion he would allow me to keep the photos, but he wanted to take my full details."

Later, Mr White added:
"Had I not had my daughter with me, and the fact that we are trying to bring our daughter up to respect and trust police officers, I may have exercised my right not to provide those [full personal] details.

The police officer said the security guard was within his rights to ask me to leave Braehead and bar me from the premises."

A spokesman for Strathclyde Police said:
"We have received a complaint about this incident. A full review of the circumstances and allegation is under way."

A Braehead spokesman said:
"Staff at an ice cream stall became suspicious after they saw a shopper taking photographs at their counter. The staff thought the man had also been taking photographs of them and they alerted one of the security staff.

We have a 'no photography' policy in the centre to protect the privacy of staff and shoppers. However, it is not our intention to – and we do not – stop innocent family members taking pictures."

Attached Image

(Thanks to Jupiter and Ashfield for first raising this story.)

See also the 'Boycott Braehead' Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boycott-Brae...288861364476077

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- GG   Braehead In Anti-terror Photo Row   10th Oct 2011, 07:07pm
- - Heather   I read about this in the newspapers today and coul...   10th Oct 2011, 07:48pm
- - wombat   i voted yes,doubt he will get an apology though   10th Oct 2011, 07:57pm
- - JAGZ1876   I bet security would have turned a blind eye if it...   10th Oct 2011, 08:41pm
- - *Kenny*   Unfortunately shop premises (and therefor shopping...   10th Oct 2011, 08:44pm
|- - Alex MacPhee   QUOTE (*Kenny* @ 10th Oct 2011, 10:30pm) ...   10th Oct 2011, 11:44pm
|- - Alex MacPhee   (*) Save where the photography itself is a crimina...   10th Oct 2011, 11:45pm
- - Jupiter   I read the reports today and sent an email to Brae...   10th Oct 2011, 08:48pm
- - Alex MacPhee   The police officer is talking balderdash. He has n...   10th Oct 2011, 09:21pm
- - TeeHeeHee   If an establishment concerned about security withi...   10th Oct 2011, 09:22pm
- - wombat   they're too busy taking footage of everywan el...   10th Oct 2011, 09:28pm
|- - wombat   QUOTE (wombat @ 10th Oct 2011, 11:14pm) ...   10th Oct 2011, 11:18pm
- - TeeHeeHee   Right Wombat. The father should have said, "Y...   10th Oct 2011, 09:39pm
- - Jazzsaxman   You couldn't write this stuff. Where on earth...   10th Oct 2011, 10:07pm
- - Guest   Section 44 in relation to photographers The most ...   10th Oct 2011, 10:21pm
- - andyguinness   A police state is not far off. A friends son was s...   10th Oct 2011, 10:28pm
- - Heather   Apparently there is a notice forbidden the taking ...   10th Oct 2011, 11:09pm
- - Irene   I saw this on the news also and really wanted to j...   10th Oct 2011, 11:42pm
- - *duinemor*   I've seen this outlet with the gimmicky motor ...   10th Oct 2011, 11:45pm
- - GG   Here is Mr White in his own words: GG.   10th Oct 2011, 11:47pm
- - Brian Miller   Well Braehead is now one destination that is now o...   11th Oct 2011, 01:49am
- - droschke7   This whole thing is ludicrous, I've even seen ...   11th Oct 2011, 01:56am
- - tamhickey   It seems to me that the police invoke the terroris...   11th Oct 2011, 04:07am
- - Jupiter   I think the father Chris should be applauded for h...   11th Oct 2011, 05:08am
- - littlealison   Seems like no-one is allowed to be innocent these ...   11th Oct 2011, 05:27am
|- - TeeHeeHee   QUOTE (littlealison @ 11th Oct 2011, 06:1...   11th Oct 2011, 07:50am
- - Guest   These 'security guards' are nothing more t...   11th Oct 2011, 06:13am
- - irrie   Morning all. Braehead has now changed this polic...   11th Oct 2011, 07:33am
- - chas1937   It happens everywhere as 2 weeks ago I was at a Do...   11th Oct 2011, 08:06am
- - thepaperboy   is it no aboot time the polis went oot and did th...   11th Oct 2011, 08:58am
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.