Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old Doctors
boots
post 22nd May 2005, 04:53pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,524
Och, yi jist took it like a man, Andy tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
winnie.d
post 30th Jun 2005, 09:44pm
Post #17

Settling In
Member No.: 1,962
dr. Fleming at the round toll was my granny's cousin. He used to make his rounds on the tram.

+Quote Post
sumac
post 27th Aug 2006, 12:13am
Post #18

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
My doctor's surgery was in Parson Street, Townhead, just along from our tenement. Our doctor was Dr. Omer, but Wee McDougall was the other doctor in the practice.
We, too, would go into the waiting room which had a bench on all four walls of the wee square room, with the door out on one wall and the surgery door opposite. We started the queue right at the surgery and slid round clockwise until we got back to the same door, and that was our turn. Often, the queue was right out into the street where you stood in rain, hail and shine until it emptied enough inside for you to move in out of the cold. You could spend what seemed like hours at the doctor's waiting to be seen!

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 27th Aug 2006, 01:28am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Dear Sue,

You are so close to hame. < hugs >

Ah think we hud much same setup at 63 Alexandra Parade.

Maybie wee Mc D and Omar moved there from Parson St.

Dr. Omar does ring a wee bell wi me.

Remember the widden benches / chairs and taking turns and the bum shuffling tae get in. It did seem to take ages tae see the Doacter.

Ah member wan Dr Basaard, he goat this big jaggy needle oot, and I had seen a few like in the royal. Ah felt better right away and legged eet out the close.

During 1961 ah wus weecheled oot to Robroyston, and then Hairmyres fur reasons only the sender (s) knew. Maybe ah hud measles orr tonsils oot tae.

< coff hack >

Ah still cannea sing, above Dorimefa! So wus prolly sumthing else < Squeak>

Well, at least, it maybi saved the X factor crew a heidache

Fondest wishes!

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
jakka13
post 27th Aug 2006, 02:46am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,815
My Doctor was Dr Mc Niel (Homeopathic ) He took care of me all of my child and teenage years and then when I married took over the care of my husband .When my pregnancies began he would see me in his office but as my time came near he would come to the house to see me .With my last girl ,I was waiting for the coal man and finally went round to the wee shop round the corner and bought a ten pound bag of coal .I was carrying it back home when he arrived at my close .He promptly took the bag from my arms ,carried it up the stairs and sorted the fire out .He gave me a helluva telling off but could see why I needed the fire (DECEMBER ) .My daughter was born two days later .Can you imagine a Doctor in this day and age doing something like this ????

h

--------------------
Auld but Still Game.

+Quote Post
sumac
post 27th Aug 2006, 02:39pm
Post #21

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
Rabbie, was there a Doctor Nurse at the Ally Parade surgery? It's just that I would go with my old Auntie and Gran to wait in the surgery for them, and i'm 99.9% sure it was at number 63 - the beginning of the Parade. dry.gif

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 27th Aug 2006, 06:04pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Sumac we had the same doctor.It was my mothers doctor before she got married and she kept him .Wee Mc Dougal we called him,I remember he would come all the way out to Ruchazie when we were sick. I have to say I much preferred Doctor Ommer. He died quite young ,sad really. We never ever made an appointment you just went and sat there. Do you remember going in and you would say who's last,then you knew you followed them. There were no such things as patient files. How about the lady at the front ,cant remember her name .She was there for years . Knew everyone and all their families. I thought she was ancient.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
marina
post 27th Aug 2006, 07:57pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,137
my doctor was dr lee at bowman st govanhill till he retired and then they moved premises and ive been with them since i was 2 and there a great surgery, on the other hand my husbands is dr livingstones at pollokshaws as was his mum and i wont say anymore on that in case i get sued

--------------------
Slāinte mhor a h-uile lā a chi 's nach fhaic

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 27th Aug 2006, 09:29pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Does anyone have any memories of Dr. Chassells? He practiced in and around the Paisley Rd. Toll area. From all that I have heard, he was a very well respected physician. GB

+Quote Post
marydee
post 27th Aug 2006, 10:03pm
Post #25

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
Really old Houshillwooders and Priesthillians will remember Dr Arnold B Cowan whose surgery was in a Corporation house on Peat Road. He worked with his stunning American wife Selma as his receptionist. Dr Cowan was a tall commanding figure who drove a big luxury car around the Priesthill and Househillwood streets. For many years he was the only doctor in the area and in the early days he delivered babies, my two brothers included, pulled teeth and stitched wounds. When you went to his consulting rooms he would be sitting behind his desk smoking a cigarette. When my father was dying of cancer in 1956 he called at our house three times every day to administer morphine to stop his pain with his last call of the day being at three in the morning. He had many critics but my mother was ever grateful to him for keeping my father unconscious and so pain free for the last two or three weeks of his life. He opened one of the first old people's club in Glasgow, in the Gorbals, and was often in the Daily Record as "the old people's champion" He ended up in Barlinnie convicted of a recieving offence and I believe he was struck off. His son Jackie took over his practice for a short while before going to America to live. For many years after his death his wife gathered money for cancer research outside Marks and Spencers in Sauchiehall Street

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 27th Aug 2006, 11:16pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Hi GB, I lived all around Paisley Road Toll area, including many of the side streets, and our doctors were along Houston Street in the direction of the SCWS - Drs. McGregor, Mairs (woman doc) and Sneedon.

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 27th Aug 2006, 11:49pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Hello again George,
Dr. Chassells saw my granny through childbirth, udulent fevour, losing babes, many of her kids diseases, such as chicken pox, scarlet fever etc. and eventually eased my grandpa through cancer and gran, heart disease. All the while coming to the house when necessary, at all hours of the day or night. We will not see their likes again.
George, are you familiar with the House of Sher, up near the co? My pediatrician, Dr. N. Sher, here in Canada, was a scion of that family. He saved my son's life, more than once but the first time was because he and a fellow doctor had isolated an infection know as Yurzinnia. My son got it playing in a neighbour's back yard, we were very fortunate that Dr. Sher recognised the symtons at once. Not too many others would have picked up on it. Talk about fate taking a hand in things. rolleyes.gif GB

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 28th Aug 2006, 11:45am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
QUOTE (sumac @ 27th Aug 2006, 03:56 PM)
Rabbie, was there a  Doctor Nurse at the Ally Parade surgery? It's just that I would go with my old Auntie and Gran to wait in the surgery for them, and i'm 99.9% sure it was at number 63 - the beginning of the Parade. dry.gif

Noo Su, at this time, ah really cannea remember if there wus a Dr Nurse.

Thinking aboot this a wee bitty mare, 63 was the next alang the Parade frea me. The Cowies, lived in one of the ground floor flats, IIRC it was either the Surgery or Carrie Ross shop that was after 63.

QUOTE (isobel @ 27th Aug 2006, 07:21 PM)
How about the lady at the front ,cant remember her name .She was there for years . Knew everyone and all their families. I thought she was ancient.

Isobel, I got a hunch she was known as Mrs Frazer.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 28th Aug 2006, 02:33pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Hi again GB, my late wife, who lived on Wallace Street had a doctor called Gladstone Robertson. I think he was pretty well known all over the south side. Just going off topic for a minute, Jane and I were both christened by the same man within days of each other. He was a lay preacher called Emmanuel Todd, in the street across the Paisley road from Shearer St. Would it be Paterson St. or maybe Dalintober St.? Can't remember now, but it was the next street along from the Wheatsheaf. Sorry I don't remember the name Sher.

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 28th Aug 2006, 03:56pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Hi George et all,
Dr. Chassells attended Lorne St. school at a kid, so I'm told. BUT I may be spelling the name incorrectly. I checked and have not come up with Dr. Gladeston Roberston----yet! However I think these doc's were important and will keep digging. Now Shearer St. was in 2 parts, wee Shearer St. with just the one close and Big Shearer St. There was a railway line to the docks underneath. Was Dr. Roberston's office near there? (Notice how adroitley I got back on topic biggrin.gif ) But as you mentioned the next street from the Wheat Sheaf was Dalintober St. would that be the one? If you Google the Co in Morrison St. the Sher building is the one directly accross the street.
I think this is a great thread, as all these doctors deserve recognition for the great work they did, albeit without earning huge sums. I now have try and remember the doc's name in Riccarton who came to the house when my Mum was extremly ill but I was only a wee thing then.
I think having a thread where at least some of these selfless individuals get some cudos is great.
P.S. I think that given the time frame, Dr. Sher's family were probably in the "rag trade" (clothing) and probably a generation or so ahead of us, and then moved up like the rest of us.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.