Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Killearn Hospital, Does it still exist?
*Elizabeth Thomson*
post 3rd Dec 2008, 11:03am
Post #1

Our mammy died in Killearn in 1953 when she was just 42 from a cerebral thrombosis (called a stroke now?). My sisters and I were aged between 8 and 16 and were not allowed to visit her. I never even knew where Killearn Hospital was and have been wondering if it is still used. Can anyone help?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 6th Dec 2008, 10:32pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
It was abandoned in the seventies

http://www.killearnontheweb.co.uk/about/hi...learn-hospital/

Looking for records this site tells you who has them

Killearn Hospital

There's an aerial shot here of the site.

Killearn Hospital

The site featured in the closing scenes of Taggart, Episode 8, Season 4,"Dead Giveaway", which first aired on Wednesday, September 7, 1988.

Scotland's Secret Places

Check out recent photos on Flickr

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 16th Dec 2008, 10:50am
Post #3

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
Many thanks, Dexter - I now know where Killearn Hospital was. I am not quite sure how I recorded a message as a 'guest' as I have been a member for a number of years.

Killearn looks like a very pretty little village and if I had thought about it when I was visiting Stirling last year, I would have made a detour to check it out. There's not much of the hospital left now but it must have been quite new when my mother was there in 1953. Sadly, the staff were not able to save her. We lived in Maryhill at the time and I have no idea how my Dad managed to get there to visit.

I have had a quick look around the links you mentioned but will look again when I have more time. Thanks once again for your help.

Elizabeth Thomson

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 22nd May 2009, 10:55pm
Post #4

QUOTE (Scots Kiwi Lass @ 16th Dec 2008, 11:19am) *
Many thanks, Dexter - I now know where Killearn Hospital was. I am not quite sure how I recorded a message as a 'guest' as I have been a member for a number of years.

Killearn looks like a very pretty little village and if I had thought about it when I was visiting Stirling last year, I would have made a detour to check it out. There's not much of the hospital left now but it must have been quite new when my mother was there in 1953. Sadly, the staff were not able to save her. We lived in Maryhill at the time and I have no idea how my Dad managed to get there to visit.

I have had a quick look around the links you mentioned but will look again when I have more time. Thanks once again for your help.

Elizabeth Thomson

HI
I live in killearn im sure if u go down the family who own the land which the old hospital may let you have a look around although im not cetain. the hospital was built for ww2 and was used right up untill 1973 or somthing! there are still many of the bulidings there as they are not allowed to be taken down because of dangerous chemicals and aspesdos in the roofs! You should go down and have a look the next time you are in the area it is a gorgous place.
Katy

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 26th Jun 2009, 02:11am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
when I went to visit my mother in Kilearn Hospital it was so nice flowers in front of the buildings ,and the staff were so good to her ,she had a back operation and was not able to walk to much after it .we used to catch a blue bus near the chuch on the Maryhill Rd just before the Canal viaduct;

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Tam blair
post 26th Jun 2009, 11:03pm
Post #6

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,005
I was a patient in Killearn hospital in 1948. Iremember it being in a lovely setting. Seemed like paradise to a boy at that time. Staff and doctors were very good. I was there for about 4 weeks.

--------------------
Ozzie down under

+Quote Post
*peter pender*
post 15th Nov 2009, 09:04pm
Post #7

QUOTE (Elizabeth Thomson @ 3rd Dec 2008, 11:01am) *
Our mammy died in Killearn in 1953 when she was just 42 from a cerebral thrombosis (called a stroke now?). My sisters and I were aged between 8 and 16 and were not allowed to visit her. I never even knew where Killearn Hospital was and have been wondering if it is still used. Can anyone help?

Yes the hospital is still on the grounds but in a bad state , you can go in a walk around the grounds to see the wards but Do NOT enter the buildings as they are dangerous and there is lots of asbestos , but you can still walk about

+Quote Post
*Keith Miller*
post 15th Mar 2017, 04:29pm
Post #8

QUOTE (Elizabeth Thomson @ 3rd Dec 2008, 11:03am) *

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.