Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Billy Connolly Gets Freedom Of Glasgow, The Big Yin humbled by award
wee davy
post 22nd Aug 2010, 12:18pm
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
benny
Ah've lived in Glesga aw ma life and ah've never heard an accent like it - no even in Kelvinside

melody
To my mind she has portrayed the funny, quirky and loving side of the Glasgow personality, mind you she chose to stay in her beloved city

Do I detect jist a wee bit of inverted snobbery here? Is the freedom of the city honour only reserved for residents? No (Mandela) Is it to recognise talented people who have made a difference/impression upon the world stage? Most definitely!

I have been proud to have been associated with Billy Connolly, throughout my life. He has often been topic of conversation (yes sometimes for all the wrong reasons), however I believe he has also often shown the true Glaswegian - in the raw - with all its foibles.

joop
many people over the world have said how much they love my Glasgow accent
I have had similar experiences 'all over the world' joop - and like Billy I've been non-domicile for over 40 years now. Unlike Billy however, I'm pretty sure millions of people don't see ME as having any particular talent.

bilbo
thanks for the link, mate

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 22nd Aug 2010, 12:31pm
Post #47

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Davy,He is quite simply the funniest person I ever had the pleasure to sit in a theatre and listen to.In fact he should carry a government health warning as I nearly died laughing.
Joop.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 22nd Aug 2010, 12:51pm
Post #48

Mega City Key Holder
I'll never forget seeing him in his banana boots, in Edinburgh.
He brought the house down - quite literally - they were jumpin' up & doon oan their seats, man!
And at the end - they gave him a good 5 minute ovation - to whit he came running back frae the dressing room - grabbed the microphone, ... and said "it's nae good ye's hangi' aboot here - if ye think am gonnae dae wan ai them oncorr thingies, for a set ai Edin - burghers (I've cleaned that up a bit lol) - yev'e goat anuther thing comin'"
Then strode back aff.
They LUVVED it - and gave him ANOTHER 5 minute ovation! I kid you not!

davy

--------------------

+Quote Post
**Catarina**
post 22nd Aug 2010, 01:57pm
Post #49

Anytime I get a bit homesick for my hometown of Glasgow, I download some old Billy Connolly videos from U-tube and enjoy a good few wee chuckles.

Love the Guy.

+Quote Post
benny
post 22nd Aug 2010, 03:54pm
Post #50

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 22nd Aug 2010, 12:17pm) *
. . . .There are a few Glaswegian celebrities who affect a sort of hybrid english/american accent which usually falls apart when they start to talk fast when they lapse into the Glasgow accent.Billy Connolly has,through necessity had to change his manner of speaking but I could never call what he talks now a Glasgow accent.
On a footnote many people over the world have said how much they love my Glasgow accent.They have taste.
Joop

Ah don't hiv any problems wi people changin their accent tae further their career, or for whitever other reason, but Billy hisnae jist modified his original Glesga accent, he's created a hybrid monster whose roots lie God knows where - certainly no in Glesga.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
angel
post 22nd Aug 2010, 04:22pm
Post #51

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
your such a party pooper Benny,who cares about his accent as long as he entertains his audience.

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Caroline B
post 22nd Aug 2010, 10:10pm
Post #52

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,841
Well done Billy. I saw him at the Pivillion years ago with my wee brother. It was three short plays he had wrote, they were funny. He came on at the end and sang a couple of songs. I also saw him last month in the pharmacy in the town i live in New York small world eh!!

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 22nd Aug 2010, 10:54pm
Post #53

Mega City Key Holder
Welcome to the boards, Caroline

wee davy waves smile.gif

Hope you enjoy your time with us - happy posting

--------------------

+Quote Post
Heather
post 22nd Aug 2010, 11:04pm
Post #54

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
What's in an accent.

I was born and bred in Glasgow and have lived here all my days, yet on many occasions when I've been abroad especially in America, I'm asked if I'm Irish. rolleyes.gif

I used to like Billy Connolly but in recent years his bad language has gone over the top and that has put me right off.

A few years ago I bought my husband one of Billy' DVDs and after watching it he said I should not watch it as I would not like it. But curiosity got the better of me and I did put it on and right at the start his language and abuse of the Catholic Church was disgusting. I have never seen all that DVD and never will.
I did wonder what his cousin who is a Catholic Priest and another a Nun would think if they heard that DVD!!!!!!

It's not that I can't take a joke about religion I can and no one told those kind of jokes better than Dave Allen. Dave was a favourite of mine and he did not need to resort to such a lot of bad language to get a laugh.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
wombat
post 22nd Aug 2010, 11:31pm
Post #55

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
Och everythin's fair game these day's, plenny o jokes about caffliks muslims, jews, blacks, irish etc! Some R funny ithers not funny, ah've noticed how mainstream aussie humour has slid from clever to racist and SICKO humour over the years, jokes about aborigines (usually relating to their drunkeness or poverty) SICKO jokes about amputees and other afflicted folk.

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
weebren3
post 23rd Aug 2010, 04:30am
Post #56

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,440
well congrats to Billy the big yin,but most people on the street have the same funny jokes and ways of making me laugh, There is only 2 things I dont like bout the big yin was the celtic bit and the swearing was bad,never saw A show of his because of that,but he is still A scots like most people who cant have A word without the swearing every word comes out of there mouths,but if funny I just laugh at the way it is said. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Tori G
post 23rd Aug 2010, 08:14am
Post #57

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,927
Well done Billy... one of my favourite interestingly colourful, intelligent, funny, cultural, comedian/wordsmith/actor/singer/musician... and if he's ever back in Perth here, i'd like to invite him to one of our partys laugh.gif... seriously.

--------------------
Thats what I think anyway

+Quote Post
benny
post 23rd Aug 2010, 08:56am
Post #58

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (angel @ 22nd Aug 2010, 06:24pm) *
your such a party pooper Benny,who cares about his accent as long as he entertains his audience.

Ah really couldnae care less if he talked wi a Swahili accent - ah never watch him by choice anywye - but his claim that his accent makes him instantly identifiable as a Glaswegian is baloney, as is aw the palaver aboot no forgettin his roots.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
wiznayme
post 23rd Aug 2010, 01:03pm
Post #59

Visitor
Member No.: 7,598
Exactly Benny, you have lived in Glasgow all your life so you will pick up on any slight difference of accent, those of us who have travelled and lived in various parts of the world not allowed to modify our accent so that we can be understood? You are not the guy I met in Aberdeen who said he hated Billy because he said that his toon smelled of linoleum are you?

Anyway, congrats on Billy, an excellent ambassador for Glasgow and Scotland.

+Quote Post
marcam7
post 23rd Aug 2010, 03:33pm
Post #60

Visitor
Member No.: 7,824
Recall coming home from the pub one friday night with the mates,wee Eddy said "do youse want to come in and hear this record "Half an hour later six men lying on the floor ,one literally peed himself listening to the crucifixion,next day Scotland v england all in Sammy Dows in Mitchell lane reliiving wallop ,jaggy bunnet it went on all day and into the victory party at night Thanks for the memories Billy you really are the best thing since sliced breid.Marcam7

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.