Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

16 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nasa, Earthlike planet discovery imminent
JAGZ1876
post 15th Sep 2013, 08:27am
Post #196

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Rab @ 14th Sep 2013, 08:53pm) *
I guess you are referring to my reluctance to explain my Golden Balls experience?

I caught an episode of that show once, no matter how hard Jasper Carrott tried to explain the rules i just couldn't make head nor tail of it laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rab
post 15th Sep 2013, 01:30pm
Post #197

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 15th Sep 2013, 09:25am) *
I caught an episode of that show once, no matter how hard Jasper Carrott tried to explain the rules i just couldn't make head nor tail of it laugh.gif

Me too! yes.gif

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
Rab
post 15th Sep 2013, 01:35pm
Post #198

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
My gold balls are very difficult to talk about. The warnings I received regarding the Official Secrets Act at the time placed me in a quandry. I do not think my balls are really part of this topic, but they are very precious to me.
Should I discuss it here with you all? I am not sure that you are really, truly interested in my balls. Hmm. unsure.gif

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
Ruchazie Rat
post 15th Sep 2013, 01:38pm
Post #199

City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,702
QUOTE (Rab @ 14th Sep 2013, 08:40pm) *
I agree entirely but thats the Space-Race and political oneupmanship for you!

Bit ironic. The Space Race came out the Cold War. And that went tits up in 89 when The Wall came tumbling down. But NASA hung on. (OK, I know, we`re supposed to say that they`re a non-military non-political organisation). Anyway, I`d say they`ve had a good run for their (or, rather, other peoples`) money.

I seem to recall when they christened the first spaceshuttle Enterprise, some of the Star Trek cast didn`t show up for The Press Show cos they didn`t approve. And Patrick Stewart refused to get involved during the 90`s.

+Quote Post
Ruchazie Rat
post 15th Sep 2013, 01:50pm
Post #200

City Key Holder
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 14th Sep 2013, 10:26pm) *
The way the population is going they'd better hurry up and find another habitable planet!

I love all those old 50`s/60`s Hollywood rubbishy sci-fi flicks with "Earth" type planets being "colonised". They are nothing more than adverts for the mod-con age in the US at that time with citizens being conditioned into consumers. These cheesy-flicks portrayed that genre as "Jam Today". "More Of The Same". "The Good Time`s Are Never Gonna End".

I much more favour Blade Runner which tells it like it is. Like it always has been. Like it allways will be. Human nature, unless relentlessly and rigorously kept in check, especially where free-enterprise is concerned, usually reveals itself to be a "Grab all you can and live it up for today. And **** the consequences. Let`s worry about that when they show up. Or let someone else handle it".

That`s why we`re in the global economic/climatic/social mess we`re in right now. No forward planning. No-one anywhere willing to adhere to long-term common sense practices.

Give us another planet. And it`ll be just another ****ing mess, Earth 2, in next to no time. Greasing up another planet will not solve the underlying problem. We, the inhabiotants, are the problem...

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 17th Sep 2013, 12:26pm
Post #201

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
Any volunteers for this one?

"Get paid to stay in bed: Nasa recruits couch potatoes for microgravity study"

3000 a month to do nothing???

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/17/nasa-recruit...-study-4036778/

+Quote Post
Ruchazie Rat
post 17th Sep 2013, 01:37pm
Post #202

City Key Holder
Bet there`ll be a shitload of applicants from Hollyrood about a year from now!
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 26th Oct 2014, 11:09am
Post #203

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Right then, we're off tongue.gif

If only your name could collect frequent flyer miles. NASA is inviting the public to send their names on a microchip to destinations beyond low-Earth orbit, including Mars.
Your name will begin its journey on a dime-sized microchip when the agency’s Orion spacecraft launches Dec. 4 on its first flight, designated Exploration Flight Test-1. After a 4.5 hour, two-orbit mission around Earth to test Orion’s systems, the spacecraft will travel back through the atmosphere at speeds approaching 20,000 mph and temperatures near 4,000 degrees Fahrenheit, before splashing down in the Pacific Ocean.
But the journey for your name doesn’t end there. After returning to Earth, the names will fly on future NASA exploration flights and missions to Mars. With each flight, selected individuals will accrue more miles as members of a global space-faring society.
"NASA is pushing the boundaries of exploration and working hard to send people to Mars in the future,” said Mark Geyer, Orion Program manager. "When we set foot on the Red Planet, we’ll be exploring for all of humanity. Flying these names will enable people to be part of our journey."
The deadline for receiving a personal “boarding pass” on Orion’s test flight closes Friday Oct. 31. The public will have an opportunity to keep submitting names beyond Oct. 31 to be included on future test flights and future NASA missions to Mars.
To submit your name to fly on Orion’s flight test, visit:
http://go.usa.gov/vcpz
Join the conversation on social media using the hashtag #JourneyToMars.
For information about Orion and its first flight, visit:
http://www.nasa.gov/orion
-end-
Rachel Kraft / Dwayne Brown
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1100 / 202-358-1726
rachel.h.kraft@nasa.gov / dwayne.c.brown@nasa.gov
Brandi Dean
Johnson Space Center, Houston
281-483-5111
brandi.k.dean@nasa.gov

Attached Image

Register here ... or even put your grandkid's name on the list

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
zascot
post 26th Oct 2014, 03:16pm
Post #204

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
QUOTE (Ruchazie Rat @ 15th Sep 2013, 03:07pm) *
I much more favour Blade Runner which tells it like it is. Like it always has been. Like it allways will be.

Sorry we`ve put him away for a wee bit, about five years less good behavior. yes.gif

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
enrique
post 27th Oct 2014, 10:39am
Post #205

Lord Provost
Member No.: 1,842
biggrin.gif Along the same lines i had to laugh at Tam Cowans quip, he said he heard they were sending up a rocket to Mars , but it would be all women, exclaiming , WHY IS IT NEEDING CLEANED UP

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 3rd May 2015, 11:16am
Post #206

Mega City Key Holder
All rumours of my demise have been greatly exagerated tongue.gif

To all, or any, who may have missed me, I've been; and still am, having a bit of trouble with my eyes. They're still as blue/green as ever but where the green one, on the left. secumbed years ago to the dreaded AMD which didn't overly bother me too much, the blue one on the right is now following suit. Fortunately I have signed up to take part in a study at the Eye Clinic at the Freiburg Uni. Clinic and will undergo monthly eye-injections which, if nothing else, should Arrest any further Deterioration of the ol' blue eye. The first injection was last Monday: the next on June the 1st. Last week after 6 hours of tests Prior to the injection, I was told that I might even be lucky enough to noticed some improvement even but as of today I haven't noticed any although it's still early days: some patients have seen improvement within the first 7 to 10 days.

The wonders of science biggrin.gif

... which brings us back to NASA; and an idea started off by a small UK Company called Satellite Propulsion Resarch Ltd -
Heh, we're talkin' WARP DRIVE here, Scotty cool3.gif

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/04/eva...istic-em-drive/

Attached Image

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 3rd May 2015, 12:02pm
Post #207

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
I really hope the new treatment works on your eye, THH. Good luck!

This is really exciting. I want to live for another 50 years to see it all happening, although I'd prefer to go in the Millennium Falcon!

Whilst this is all fairly important I have to say that there are more important things happening on the space front ...

"The high-powered dream team trying to create a stiletto shoe as comfy as a trainer
The former executive with SpaceX – the US space transport company – has put together what she believes is the ultimate team to design the world’s most comfortable stiletto. The team includes a rocket scientist, an engineer, an astronaut, a fashion expert and an orthopaedic surgeon. Their aim: to lift women up by several inches without causing lasting damage to their feet.

Assembling such an array of serious scientific talent took some doing; some of them initially thought it was a silly idea. “The key was to make it an interesting problem in their language. Asking them to design a high heel isn’t interesting,” says Ms Singh. “But asking them to design a structure that supports a secondary structure, which is dynamic and has a 180-degree range of motion and happens to be a human body? That’s interesting. I had to make them see it not as a fluffy problem, but as a serious engineering problem.

“I love high heels – I’m 5ft 5in, but if I put on heels, I’m 5ft 9in and I feel model-esque,” she says. But after five years walking the floors of SpaceX’s 550,000-square-foot facility in Los Angeles in 4in (10cm) heels, she began to feel the pain.

“I had two choices: either wear uglier shoes or end up with ugly feet.” Her solution was to create her own company, Thesis Couture, which she describes as like “Nike meets Jimmy Choo”."

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/fashion...j5zbe?ocid=iehp

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 3rd May 2015, 12:41pm
Post #208

Mega City Key Holder
Stiletto heels? That's not Rocket Science, Baby!
Oh yes it is kiddo laugh.gif

Mary bought me built-up boots years ago when we we first started walkin' out together ... with her high heels she thought the difference in our heights was too much. Me? I just love big burds in hiugh heels biggrin.gif

Aint science wonderful? tongue.gif

PS ...Thanks for the good wishes Betsy. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 3rd May 2015, 03:04pm
Post #209

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
Welcome back and good luck with the treatment THH. thumbup.gif

As for the warp drive, exciting times ahead..........Second star to the right and straight on till morning. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Melody
post 3rd May 2015, 03:09pm
Post #210

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
I missed you THH. smile.gif Sorry to read that you're having trouble with your eyes keeping fingers crossed that you'll have some improvement soon and that the injections will really help. Ye were missed pal. smile.gif

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.