Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Origin Of Thr Savoy Centre, history
big tommy
post 4th Nov 2005, 02:29pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
I suppose everyone in Glasgow knows the Savoy Centre, the great shopping mall in Sauchiehall Street. But did you know what it was before that?

When I first knew it, it was a cinema named The Picture House. Very opulent, with luxury seating and a great top floor with an oval stained glass window at the top. At the height of its fame it became the first cinema in Glasgow to give a film an extended run. The film was "South Pacific" and it ran continously for over two years, setting a precedent for films to come. The next long running film was "Around the World in 80 Days" which again ran for nearly two years.

But, to me, the Savoy Centre was the entrance to the Limb Fitting Centre for artificial limb manufacturers Hanger & Co, where I went to have an artificial leg fitted when I got home from the Army after being on crutches for fifteen months. At that time the time taken from the first fitting to final delivery was in the region of four months, with four fittings in between.

From there it moved to Belvidere Hospital in the East End and is now situated in WESTMARC in the grounds of the Southern General Hospital over in Govan - a long hop, skip and a jump from the Savoy Centre and Sauchiehall Street you must agree.

Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 23rd Oct 2010, 01:14pm
Post #2

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
aye I remember seeing The Sound of Music in the Gaumont on the very first night it opened and thought the red carpet wiz for me hahah.. saw it four times in its long run..

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 20th Nov 2011, 03:09pm
Post #3

big tommy, see the artificial limb fitting place in the savoy that you said? where was it located inside??

+Quote Post
*J*
post 20th Nov 2011, 03:10pm
Post #4

whre was the limb fitting shop in the savoy centre? was it near the entrance inside?

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.